Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fill me in on Howard Stern, please.

EersSkins05

I listened to Howard Stern a decent amount in the mid-to-late 90's, and knew fairly well what was going on, from Fred to Jackie the Joke Man, etc.

I've had Sirius for about a year and a half (well before Stern), and have recently started to tune into his show again, but there are some running jokes/personalities that I just don't understand.

Please fill me in if you're in the know.

1) Who is Artie, and why is there so much damn attention paid to him? If the listeners really hate him as much as they say they do, why is he on there? And why is his breakup with his girlfriend such big news?

2) What happened to Fred?

3) Is Howard mad at David Lee Roth, or does he like him?

Any info helping to fill me in would be greatly appreciated.

Not a big Howard fan, and don't listen too much anymore, but I'll give it a shot:

1. Artie used to be on Mad TV, and he's a drunk. For whatever reason, Howard thinks he's hilarious. I don't get it either.

2. No idea, sorry, I thought he was still on the show. If he's not, Howard probably gave him his own show on Sirius, but I don't know that to be fact.

3. David Lee Roth took over Howard's old time slot, which means Howard will pick on him as though Roth stole his woman.

That's all I got.

1. Artie is Artie Lange. He sits in on the show much like Jackie used to. Him breaking up with his girlfriend is just a running storyline on the show.

2. Fred is still on the show. He does the sound effects, but he has never talked too much.

3. Howard isn't mad at David Lee Roth. Hell, he has already been fired, so Howard has more sympathy for him than anything. He defended him a bunch and said that they didn't give him enough time to succeed.

1. Artie is Artie Lange. He sits in on the show much like Jackie used to. Him breaking up with his girlfriend is just a running storyline on the show.

2. Fred is still on the show. He does the sound effects, but he has never talked too much.

3. Howard isn't mad at David Lee Roth. Hell, he has already been fired, so Howard has more sympathy for him than anything. He defended him a bunch and said that they didn't give him enough time to succeed.

I guess the period when I listened to the show was a talkative time for Fred, b/c I remember him piping in on a few things.

Thanks to all for the help.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Show is better than ever. If you listen for a while, you'll see why Artie is on the show. He's a stand up comedian who is actually very funny. Has a move coming out this fall called "Beer League" low budget comedy with some pretty well know actors/comedians in it. Got awesome reviews at the Vegas Film Festival, got comparisons to Slap Shot.

Artie > Jackie

I don't know, some of the Jackie stuff was gold. HE may not have been very funny on his own, but the goofing on him material he provided cannot be equaled.

I think Fred is very underrated too. He cracks me up with just a simple sound bite played at the PERFECT time. In reference to Jackie, someone will say "I'm just getting over a cold," and all of a sudden Fred will play that sound effect of Jackie sneezing. It gets me every time.

Or they will be talking about feeling boobs and Fred will start playing the car horn honking.... :laugh: he's friggin' hilarious.

Old Stern with Jackie was way more intense, manic and the humor was a little more vicious.

New Stern with Artie is slower and more self depricating. Funnier in many ways because Artie is such a screw up.

damn, you nailed it. Right on my friend. Howard/Jackie was a lot edgier, and much more darker.

Archived