Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Back!

PokerPacker

i've been gone from this site for a couple weeks due to technical difficulty (my motherboard fried) and i've just finally gotten another computer up and running (and on the internet.)

i'm happy to announce that i am no longer running on windows ME (the cause of all my computer related problems in the first place.) its been a real ***** trying to get by with no tv and no computer, but i've finally pulled through just to make sure i could come back here and bother some 'Skins fans.

Did you buy a new computer like a sucker or build one?:D What Mobo were you using b4 that fried?

well, a bit of both. i'm taking a computer building class in school, so i took my computer there to test to see what's wrong, and i discovered through process of elimination that it was the motherboard. i went through about a dozen motherboards there looking for one that both fit my chassis correctly, and was compatable with what i already had. the closest i came was one that only supported about 600MHz out of an 866MHz processor, so i eventually ditched the mobo + chassis, but kept my 256 and 128 MB ram sticks, DVD drive, CD burner....

my dad decided that this would be a nice time to get himself a better computer (because the one he was using kept dropping the signal to the monitor.) he went out and bought two computers for about $30 each. both pretty crappy, 450MHz and 500MHz cartridge P3s with minimal ram. so when he got done scrappy what he wanted out of his old computer, he gave it to me to do what i wanted with it.

i put in 2 256 MB of ram (so i am running with 512 total) i have a 1000MHz AMD Athalon processor, 8.4 GB hard drive with win98SE, 61 GB hard drive with win2000, geforce2 MX 128MB video card, a TV tuner (well actually, i'm gonna put the tv tuner in another computer because it is actually a tv tuner/ video card combo. if anyone knows how i can disable its video properties and use my geforce with it, i would be greatful for the help), DVD rom drive, and a CD burner. onboard i have two front USBs and one on the back, an i. Link S400, IEEE1394 Firewire, RJ-45 ethernet connector, and the rest is pretty typical.

as for motherboard, i'm not exactly sure, it just came with the computer, a sony vaio (i'll update when i find out, i have to find it to find the driver for the onboard audio, its a real *****)

You deserved to have your mobo fried for using Windows ME for any extended period of time :2cents:

Nonetheless, welcome back. Not sure why it takes you weeks to replace your mobo but whatever works. Also, send a PM to Freier-Wire... he's actually a PAckers fan also ;)

i have been bringing things home from school as i found that i needed them. the first week i had been trying to put on a copy of XP i found in our house just to learn that there was no master key for it, and i'm not about to pay $200 to the tyrants at microsoft (actually, i found out last week that as a student in that computer class, i can get it for about $60 at a particular website.)

after the week of XP Xperimenting, i decided to burn myself a copy of Win2000. it turned out that the copy that i burned was defective, so i had to come back the next day to find a good copy. unfortunatly, i forgot to bring any CD-Rs with me the next day, so that was another day gone by without any OS (well, if i wanted to, i could have reinstalled ME :shot:)

after i finally got windows 2000 home, i installed for the first time, and it was working fine, but i realized there would be some of my favorite games would not be compatable with win2000 (i still like some of those old DOS games,) so i installed windows 98SE, which i also burned from school. problem is, is that my computer wouldn't dual boot, it kept trying to go to 98 without giving me an option. after a couple days, i learned that 98 had to be installed first, because windows 2000 was the first OS to support dual boot in the INF file. so i installed 98 to my smaller HD, drive letter D. then installed 2000. another problem, i didn't know that 98 had to be installed on the first drive, so i had to reformat both hard drives. i switched them around and reinstalled. today, for the first time, i decided to go down to the room where the hub is, and play with the connection from that end. i went upstairs to my room and tried the internet again not expecting anything and WHAM! i have the internet again!

Im guessing you havent got your sound files working yet :silly:

nope, not yet. for some reason, windows 2000 didn't automatically install drivers for it (on everyother computer i've worked with, i haven't needed to install seperate drivers for the onboard audio controller with win2000)

well, a bit of both. i'm taking a computer building class in school, so i took my computer there to test to see what's wrong, and i discovered through process of elimination that it was the motherboard. i went through about a dozen motherboards there looking for one that both fit my chassis correctly, and was compatable with what i already had. the closest i came was one that only supported about 600MHz out of an 866MHz processor, so i eventually ditched the mobo + chassis, but kept my 256 and 128 MB ram sticks, DVD drive, CD burner....

my dad decided that this would be a nice time to get himself a better computer (because the one he was using kept dropping the signal to the monitor.) he went out and bought two computers for about $30 each. both pretty crappy, 450MHz and 500MHz cartridge P3s with minimal ram. so when he got done scrappy what he wanted out of his old computer, he gave it to me to do what i wanted with it.

i put in 2 256 MB of ram (so i am running with 512 total) i have a 1000MHz AMD Athalon processor, 8.4 GB hard drive with win98SE, 61 GB hard drive with win2000, geforce2 MX 128MB video card, a TV tuner (well actually, i'm gonna put the tv tuner in another computer because it is actually a tv tuner/ video card combo. if anyone knows how i can disable its video properties and use my geforce with it, i would be greatful for the help), DVD rom drive, and a CD burner. onboard i have two front USBs and one on the back, an i. Link S400, IEEE1394 Firewire, RJ-45 ethernet connector, and the rest is pretty typical.

as for motherboard, i'm not exactly sure, it just came with the computer, a sony vaio (i'll update when i find out, i have to find it to find the driver for the onboard audio, its a real *****)

Ugh, that's chicken scratch....sorry, i'm a big computer buff and those are just inferior parts, then again you gotta work with what you have. Best of luck in your endeavors though, I have an ASUS K8N SLi premium motherboard i'm about to sell on Ebay(It's never been used) because they have Asus Mobo's with DDR2 compatibility now:drool:

the one who is known as PP, dont listen to the bird. Your system is fine, and will accomplish everything you will probably demand of it. By the time that unit is functionaly obsolete you will be in the upper teir work force and screaming with a top notch unit.

I have more respect for you at your age having that system, than some 17 yr old that gets spoon fed an alienware monster box. Theres nothing wrong with giving a kid that, but I respect the kid that comes up earning it.

the one who is known as PP, dont listen to the bird. Your system is fine, and will accomplish everything you will probably demand of it. By the time that unit is functionaly obsolete you will be in the upper teir work force and screaming with a top notch unit.

I have more respect for you at your age having that system, than some 17 yr old that gets spoon fed an alienware monster box. Theres nothing wrong with giving a kid that, but I respect the kid that comes up earning it.

It wasn't my intent to be demeaning. Hell I was hardly the kid you were referring to that got everything handed to him. I didn't have my first computer until I was 18 years old, and it wasn't even mine. Somebody gave it to my parents and it was complete junk. 133 MHz processor and slow as molasses. I got to know some things though by taking it apart and having to mess with it so much because it was so old.

I said too that you have to work with what you have, and he seems to be doing so. It's better to have a grasp on all of this stuff at a young age as it will only benefit the person in the long run

Ugh, that's chicken scratch....sorry, i'm a big computer buff and those are just inferior parts, then again you gotta work with what you have. Best of luck in your endeavors though, I have an ASUS K8N SLi premium motherboard i'm about to sell on Ebay(It's never been used) because they have Asus Mobo's with DDR2 compatibility now:drool:

yeah, i didn't spend a single penny out of my pocket for this, just a lot of cussing and some blood loss (my old computer had one last f*** you before i junked it, cut my middle finger pretty badly).

It wasn't my intent to be demeaning. Hell I was hardly the kid you were referring to that got everything handed to him. I didn't have my first computer until I was 18 years old, and it wasn't even mine. Somebody gave it to my parents and it was complete junk. 133 MHz processor and slow as molasses. I got to know some things though by taking it apart and having to mess with it so much because it was so old.

I said too that you have to work with what you have, and he seems to be doing so. It's better to have a grasp on all of this stuff at a young age as it will only benefit the person in the long run

I understand that and perhaps my message to PP unfairly painted you, its just that your tech lust got the best of you and you kinda poo poo'ed his system. im the biggest capitalist pig on this site admidately, but I try to understand ability cause I go from have to not have all the time. Im not constant have all the time, and sometimes or more so mostly I dont have the greatest gifts. So personally I took offense to you talkin the way you did, and it certainly had nothing to do with you digging on PP cause I really dont like him cause hes not a Skins fan.

I guess I was just saying there was no need to say his stuff wasnt top notch since he wasnt asking to rate his gear. He just offered it up cause someone asked, now if he acted extreme and tried to make his gear seem better then everyone elses then ya I would have no problem with your comment.

ps: sneaky people get it

Archived