Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams as head coach

D'Pablo

I know that we all wish Coach Gibbs could stay forever, but that won't always be the case. In fact, I have a good feeling that this may be his last season. Obviously, Williams is going to be his successor (given that Gibbs leaves after this season). The question lies in how successful he'll be as a head coach. He did not fare so well in Buffalo.

He is also in the precarious position of being Petitbon II. Petitbon had a team coming off a trip to the playoffs and wasn't able to duplicate that success. As someone that was integral to the success of the Redskins throughout Gibbs's first tenure, he should have been able to coach up that team.

This is what truly concerns me about Gregg Williams: It seems as though he plays bad cop to Gibbs's good cop. With Gibbs leaving, I suspect that the chemistry will be upset. This disruption is almost exactly what occured when Petitbon took over. Is Williams destined to repeat Petitbon's misfortunes?

I know that we all wish Coach Gibbs could stay forever' date=' but that won't always be the case. In fact, I have a good feeling that this may be his last season. Obviously, Williams is going to be his successor (given that Gibbs leaves after this season). The question lies in how successful he'll be as a head coach. He did not fare so well in Buffalo.

He is also in the precarious position of being Petitbon II. Petitbon had a team coming off a trip to the playoffs and wasn't able to duplicate that success. As someone that was integral to the success of the Redskins throughout Gibbs's first tenure, he should have been able to coach up that team.

This is what truly concerns me about Gregg Williams: It seems as though he plays bad cop to Gibbs's good cop. With Gibbs leaving, I suspect that the chemistry will be upset. This disruption is almost exactly what occured when Petitbon took over. Is Williams destined to repeat Petitbon's misfortunes?[/quote']

Williams as a HC is a question - he did fail in Buffalo - but then again who hasn't since Levy left? The roster Petitbon took over was old and on it's last legs.

If Saunders stays as his OC, I think he will do fine. Plus Gibbs will stay on as President won't he?

:dallasuck

GW knows a lot about football. there is no doubt in anyone mind that he has the mental capacity to put a good team on the field. The only thing that worries me about him is whether or not he can motivate an entire team. Obviously he has done a good job with just a defense, but can he do this for everyone? IF GW decides to take the position after gibbs leaves, it should be very interesting to see how he transitions into the head coach job again

Gibbs has stated numerous times that he plans on coaching out the entire length of his contract. He has also stated that his goal is to come back and try and win another superbowl, but at least turn the franchise back to its storied winning ways.

He has accomplished the turn around but still needs to build in the consistency (more than just last year). I have every faith and belief that he will coach out his 5 years if he does not win a superbowl. My only doubt or worry is what will he do if he does win a superbowl.

Also, I have to believe that discussions about his successor have taken place between him, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Greg Williams, and Al Saunders. Maybe not all in the same meeting, but it is a question that is begged to be asked by those parties involved. I would be surprised if Greg and Al are not on the same page about what happens when Gibbs steps down. Sure, there are no guarantees (except for the language in GW's contract), but I think there is a fairly good chance that Al will be paid top dollar to finish his career as the OC for the Redskins regardless of HC, as long as the HC desires coach Saunders' skills.

gibbs knows that he'll be gone once his contract is over and gibbs wouldn't try to set us up. i think that while gibbs makes decisions for the team for the present, he also spills some words of wisdom to GW to make his tenure as HC the best it can be.

GW will learn from his mistakes as HC of the bills

JG will learn from his mistakes when he left levy as the HC

but i can't say that i don't worry.....

I know for a fact that Greg Williams will be coach when JG steps down. And he will be a good one at that. He has experience as HC with Buffalo and he is learning form the best right now. As much as I love JG as HC, I am looking forward to when GW takes over the team. :applause:

Gibbs has stated numerous times that he plans on coaching out the entire length of his contract. He has also stated that his goal is to come back and try and win another superbowl, but at least turn the franchise back to its storied winning ways.

He has accomplished the turn around but still needs to build in the consistency (more than just last year). I have every faith and belief that he will coach out his 5 years if he does not win a superbowl. My only doubt or worry is what will he do if he does win a superbowl.

Also, I have to believe that discussions about his successor have taken place between him, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Greg Williams, and Al Saunders. Maybe not all in the same meeting, but it is a question that is begged to be asked by those parties involved. I would be surprised if Greg and Al are not on the same page about what happens when Gibbs steps down. Sure, there are no guarantees (except for the language in GW's contract), but I think there is a fairly good chance that Al will be paid top dollar to finish his career as the OC for the Redskins regardless of HC, as long as the HC desires coach Saunders' skills.

GW has it written in his contract that when Gibbs ends his coaching career that if GW is not hired or given an offer that he gets some sort of bonus....is that correct? or is it that if GW is released before his contract is up that he gets an added bonus?

That being said I am confident that GW will be the head coach once General Gibbs leaves the field. With the staff that we have and will forever have so long as Snyder is writing the checks you can take it to the bank that GW will be a successful head coach.

I think someone else made this point.....but if you question how Williams is going to do remember that Belecheck first failed miserably with the Browns, and is now considered one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL.

I will take my chances with Williams as head coach over then bringing in anyone.....not only because I think Williams will do great, but I do not care if Vince Lombardi is cloned back to life, changing coaches like we have is never going to work.

I agree with almost all you guys have said, plus - coaches rarely succeed in their first stint as HC. I still think Gregg will always need a buffer between him and the offensive players though. Defensive players can be beaten down and molded - offensive skill players can be ruined for games if they lose their confidance. Thats why you need sweet talkers like Gibbs and Saunders. But they need to command respect too.

Man... if both Saunders and Williams stuck around, with Gibbs' ability to grade and relate talent - the Redskins organization truly is going through a revival.

Buffalo had a considerably worse team, and actually had a very good defense when he was there. Saunders will (hopefully) keep control of the offense, allowing Gregg to have control ove rthe D (with Blache or maybe Gray as the D-coord) as well as doing the head coach leadership/management stuff.

I dont think Gibbs will leave the organization he will be behind the scenes when he does retire sort of like Bill Walsh with the 49ers after he was head coach there. Williams has said that he has no intent period to leave the organization and you know what if the right price is given to Al Saunders he will definitely stay as well. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!

The good thing is, I don't think Gibbs would leave early unless we win it all. If we somehow do that, Williams will have a couple year grace period in DC. Even if we don't, if we continue to be a viable NFL team and make the playoffs again before Gibbs leave, I think fans will be somewhat patient.

The other aspect to this is that I don't think the chemistry will be entirely upset. Saunders will still be here and Gibbs will still be a part of the organization to keep supplying that calming influence that he has.

I dont think Gibbs will leave the organization he will be behind the scenes when he does retire sort of like Bill Walsh with the 49ers after he was head coach there.

:stop: Bad example. Let's hope it WON'T be like Bill Walsh with the 49ers. They sort of have gone to pot without a good head coach.

:stop: Bad example. Let's hope it WON'T be like Bill Walsh with the 49ers. They sort of have gone to pot without a good head coach.

They won a super bowl with him in the front office and made a couple of pretty far runs up until they had huge cap casualties and had no choice but to cut up a super bowl calibar team and then lost one of the greatest QBs ever.........

They did not win three super bowls after he left, but they did all right, and if Gibbs goes to the front office I hope we do as well as they did with Bill Walsh

To answer Grep Hog ... GW has a clause in his contract that pays him $1M if he is not named the Head Coach of Washington after Gibbs steps down. The interesting part of this is if Gibbs stays for the next 3 years as HC. GW's contract extension was for another 3 years ... so I don't know if his HC clause still applies if his contract ends ???

Next ... Bill Walsh was not the reason why the 49ers have gone to stink. Ed Debartalo (sp?) was the previous owner and his sister took control of the team through some kind of issues (think gambling and other issues were involved). Anyhow ... their management has been awful. They let Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark go .. and they were good for that organization (not so good in Cleveland, but that is another issue ...ownership). Anyhow ... the new ownership has had problems with GM's and overall leadership. On top of that ... Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark were good talent evaluators, but not very good salary cap guys and SF had a bunch of dead money when they left.

Archived