Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams as head coach

D'Pablo

In response to everyone who wants to look at Bill Bellichick of NE and have him as the example ... plenty of coaches have gone from bad records to bad records and never HC'd again. Our own Joe Bugel is a perfect example ... not a very good HC in Arizona or Oakland. There is also ok to ok without the title ... such as Marty Shottenheimer and Dennis Green

But to support the Bellicheck example ... Mike Shannahan and John Gruden (sort of) both went from coaching one team (both the Raiders) to winning a SB with another team.

Two words.

Bill Belichik

Fired in Cleveland, now with NE=World champions.

Thank you.

A coach can only be as successful as the organization behind him. As long as Gibbs stays on, i see Williams being a great head coach. Everyone on the team, offense and defense respects the hell out of him, obviously his defensive coaching scheme is top notch, and he'll still have Saunders and the rest of the staff (probably minus Buges and Breaux). Gibbs and Snyder have built this team for the long haul, I am not fearful of the day Gibbs leaves at all. Not looking forward to it, but not fearful.

I fully believe that the reason Greg Williams chose Joe Gibbs and the Redskins over the 8 other teams trying to hire him in 2004 as a coordinator is because he wanted to learn where he went wrong as a head coach.

It only adds to it that he signed a contract extension this year when he knows he could have had his choice of probably 5 head coach jobs this year.

He's still young, and I think he realizes if he's patient, his time will come.

Fortunately, GW has had the experience of being a HC and hopefully has learned from the mistakes he made at Buffalo. That's something Petibon didn't have the luxury of.

I'm going to side with RWJ here...GW has HC experience and he's a smart guy...I'm sure he's reflected on his Buffalo experience and has taken away a lot of coaching smarts...furthermore LOOK AT HIS TEACHER!!! The man is JOE GIBBS UNDERSTUDY....nothing made me happier (or more giddy) than hearing about his extension and the language in his contract as the heir apparent...

I can't think of better hands to put the team into...can anyone else???

joe seems to be the type of man that is a man of his word. he signed a 25 million 5 year contract that i have no doubt he will honor barring something health related <knock on wood> also am i the only one that remembers him saying he was going to be with us 10 years? the last 5 obviously in the fo??

I think Williams would make a fantastic head-coach....... given the right circumstances.

Williams did fail in Buffalo, but then again......... Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland before he triumphed in New England and became the first coach to win 3 SuperBowls in 4 years.

As with Belichick, I think Williams' second tour as a head-coach would yield better results. (unless he stays in DC ;))

I dont know much about football except how to be a fan. Personally every time I see GW speak I am in awe of the man's charisma. I watched the video of him at the beach blitz and i was ready to walk the 236 miles to nova and strap on pads. I mean if politicians were this honest and confident...You get the picture. If, god forbid, Gibbs leaves like he did last time (by this i mean hands off) i believe that GW will fill his shoes in a better capacity than any coach we could ever hire. Not that GW ever could eclipse Gibbs but we are looking at three of the best coaches any team has ever had and we have yet to understand the impact of Saunders. I'm not saying that we are better off without Gibbs (that would be lunacy). However, GW seems to be soaking up every iota of what Gibbs has to offer. I have no doubt that next to Gibbs, GW will be seen as the teams most influential coach. He is the first D-coordinator we have had in a long time who is not using this job as a stepping stone. The sum total of his ambition is to win for Gibbs and us (could you imagine marvin or rhodes saying that the reason we lost close games, in which our d obviously out played our O, was because of the D) . The only head coaching job he is auditioning for is that of the Redskins. His family loves the area, and GW realizes that if he follows Gibbs example he cannot fail. Furthermore, he believes in us the same way Joe does and he is just as quick to thank us. I think one day the skins will be playing in the aptly named JJG stadium and GW will be there to christen it. He will break the ground with a golden shovel and our my generations kids will know him as one of the best coaches in the colossal Gibbs tree. (Reading what i have read out of Pittsburgh we can probably expect a limb on that tree to be named GRIMM). Finally, i apologize for the tirade, but seeing how much Gibbs, and GW, and the Players, (see Randy Thomas being carted off to chants of his name and him saying, with a huge season ending smile on his face, "you gotta love it". That smile was a huge thank you to us), and Snyder are so quick to thank us, we should thank them, in the form of an add in the post, paid for by those of us on extreme skins for whom this team is indellibly woven in the fabric of our lives. We should thank them for working so hard, so that we can hold our heads high. Thank them because when we look other fans in the eye we can dare them; dare them to challenge our returned respectability, dare them to come to our house or dare them to match our presence in their stadium (see arizona, last year). We all dare them to throw at sean taylor, and we cant wait to dare them to rub lavar's defection in our faces. Especially right before his replacement, some young redskin who the press will call a no name, stays home and stuffs their Westbrook or their Jones (or picks off their manning while their primadonna TE ****es to the Ref). Now we can show them how it is to come into our stadium and walk out with their heads hanging low, and we owe it all to them. I dont know much about football, but i do know that if you guys agree with me, and we should thank our team as publicly as possible via an add in the paper, I got five on it.

On a side note this idea, this tirade is dedicated to my uncle, Benny Burnette of Gretna, Virginia, who passed away a few days before we spanked the boys 35-7 to get to the playoffs. According to my father we won that game because "there is a man on a mission up there". As redneck as it seems the man was buried up to his neck in fishing lures and Redskin paraphenalia, true fandom. God bless you uncle benny.

I know that we all wish Coach Gibbs could stay forever' date=' but that won't always be the case. In fact, I have a good feeling that this may be his last season. Obviously, Williams is going to be his successor (given that Gibbs leaves after this season). The question lies in how successful he'll be as a head coach. He did not fare so well in Buffalo.

He is also in the precarious position of being Petitbon II. Petitbon had a team coming off a trip to the playoffs and wasn't able to duplicate that success. As someone that was integral to the success of the Redskins throughout Gibbs's first tenure, he should have been able to coach up that team.

This is what truly concerns me about Gregg Williams: It seems as though he plays bad cop to Gibbs's good cop. With Gibbs leaving, I suspect that the chemistry will be upset. This disruption is almost exactly what occured when Petitbon took over. Is Williams destined to repeat Petitbon's misfortunes?[/quote']

The problem with Coach Williams being Petitbon II is the fact that we don't know if Coach Williams will be changing the system much if any. Coach Petitbon changed the system, offensively, completely. He went from Coach Gibbs system to the West Coast system with a team that was built to go over the top and not just slants and screens.

If Coach Williams stays with a system simuliar to Coach Gibbs' system and the system that will be changed some (I believe), but not completely, then he will be just fine.

I dont know much about football except how to be a fan. Personally every time I see GW speak I am in awe of the man's charisma. I watched the video of him at the beach blitz and i was ready to walk the 236 miles to nova and strap on pads. I mean if politicians were this honest and confident...You get the picture. If, god forbid, Gibbs leaves like he did last time (by this i mean hands off) i believe that GW will fill his shoes in a better capacity than any coach we could ever hire. Not that GW ever could eclipse Gibbs but we are looking at three of the best coaches any team has ever had and we have yet to understand the impact of Saunders. I'm not saying that we are better off without Gibbs (that would be lunacy). However, GW seems to be soaking up every iota of what Gibbs has to offer. I have no doubt that next to Gibbs, GW will be seen as the teams most influential coach. He is the first D-coordinator we have had in a long time who is not using this job as a stepping stone. The sum total of his ambition is to win for Gibbs and us (could you imagine marvin or rhodes saying that the reason we lost close games, in which our d obviously out played our O, was because of the D) . The only head coaching job he is auditioning for is that of the Redskins. His family loves the area, and GW realizes that if he follows Gibbs example he cannot fail. Furthermore, he believes in us the same way Joe does and he is just as quick to thank us. I think one day the skins will be playing in the aptly named JJG stadium and GW will be there to christen it. He will break the ground with a golden shovel and our my generations kids will know him as one of the best coaches in the colossal Gibbs tree. (Reading what i have read out of Pittsburgh we can probably expect a limb on that tree to be named GRIMM). Finally, i apologize for the tirade, but seeing how much Gibbs, and GW, and the Players, (see Randy Thomas being carted off to chants of his name and him saying, with a huge season ending smile on his face, "you gotta love it". That smile was a huge thank you to us), and Snyder are so quick to thank us, we should thank them, in the form of an add in the post, paid for by those of us on extreme skins for whom this team is indellibly woven in the fabric of our lives. We should thank them for working so hard, so that we can hold our heads high. Thank them because when we look other fans in the eye we can dare them; dare them to challenge our returned respectability, dare them to come to our house or dare them to match our presence in their stadium (see arizona, last year). We all dare them to throw at sean taylor, and we cant wait to dare them to rub lavar's defection in our faces. Especially right before his replacement, some young redskin who the press will call a no name, stays home and stuffs their Westbrook or their Jones (or picks off their manning while their primadonna TE ****es to the Ref). Now we can show them how it is to come into our stadium and walk out with their heads hanging low, and we owe it all to them. I dont know much about football, but i do know that if you guys agree with me, and we should thank our team as publicly as possible via an add in the paper, I got five on it.

On a side note this idea, this tirade is dedicated to my uncle, Benny Burnette of Gretna, Virginia, who passed away a few days before we spanked the boys 35-7 to get to the playoffs. According to my father we won that game because "there is a man on a mission up there". As redneck as it seems the man was buried up to his neck in fishing lures and Redskin paraphenalia, true fandom. God bless you uncle benny.

Just a suggestion ... but try making your thoughts into a few paragraphs next time ... it would be a lot easier to read.

Two words.

Bill Belichik

Fired in Cleveland, now with NE=World champions.

So ture

You can be the best HC in the world but if you don't have the players you will not win. Lets face it what would NE be without Brady and a few other great players? The fact is that Williams has build a defense without true stars (ok maybe ST and Marcus but still) that has ranked high two years in a row. With Saunders and the tallent on the other side of the ball this team should be in the playoffs every year. Question is not weather GW becomes head coach or not. The Question is would Saunders stick around for the 5 years he signed. If he does its almost a forgone conclusion for me that we will win the SB one of those years if not multiple SBs. Gibbs also has said when he would stick around after he retires. Its all looking good guys. The only question mark I have can Campbell be as good as say Brady. If he is or even approaches Brady's production this team is golden for the next 5 years because its a young team with a lot of talent.

Saunders would proabley make a better headcoach. I cant get over the comment Williams made to the media that Sean said he didnt spit and I believe him!

No he said he didn't spit *on* him. And he didn't, it didn't toch Michael Pittman's skin.

Take it as you will, I don't see much of a difference, but it is way more than enough to cover William's statement.

Sean was spitting at him without trying to get it on him, as in in his face, chest etc. Whatever, still should have been thrown out.

But who knows what Pittman said, for all we know Pittman beat the crap out of Taylor's current girlfriend, that guy is a creep.

I fully believe that the reason Greg Williams chose Joe Gibbs and the Redskins over the 8 other teams trying to hire him in 2004 as a coordinator is because he wanted to learn where he went wrong as a head coach.

It only adds to it that he signed a contract extension this year when he knows he could have had his choice of probably 5 head coach jobs this year.

He's still young, and I think he realizes if he's patient, his time will come.

I 100% agree with this. GW is definately in awe of Gibbs and respects him. They are such an odd couple. GW always throwing his clipboard and yelling at players - Gibbs' strange conversations with Clinton Portis. Very different but it works :laugh:

Gregg Willimas D was a top 5 defense in his stint with Buffalo, the problem was the lack of offensive production. If Al Saunders stays as OC to Gregg Williams then the team will be just fine. If Saunders leaves around Gibbs departure, as it may happen since both are roughly the same age, then we need to hope one of the offensive coaches can step up to lead the offense.

Either way the D will be just fine, as it was in Buffalo, the big key for GW to be successful is for the offense to maintain continuity after Gibbs leaves. Hopefully Saunders has more in the tank then Joe does and this doesn't become a problem.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Archived