Just A Thought

LIkeTheKniGhT

Do you wear glasses?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear glasses?

• Yes
    • No
    • I need them but I dont want to

Kenny Wright will prove to be a more valuable pick up than some of "high profile" guys. I was excited when they signed him, and disappointed it wasn't a multiple year deal.

I was hoping they sign him midway though the season.

He is definately a Williams type of corner.

The way Williams moves guys around just becase we have two starting "CB" and two safety doesn't mean that the other guys are not going to play.

Williams is planning to add a lot more DB packages so expect to see guys flying all over the field on Sunday!

How is CB a concern?

We have three starting caliber CBs (Springs, Rogers, and Wright) and depth that has shown they can play in limited roles (Prileou played #3 for many games and Ade was able to go one-on-one with Boldin and Fitzgerald). Not to mention, we have superior safety help for these corners with Taylor and Arch.

I see no problem.

Im not. We have our two starting CBs from last season, who played very well. We have one up and comer in Jimoh who everyone seems to love now. Most importantly, we grabbed a starter from a playoff team who finished 7th in the NFL in passing defense.

How do we have a big glaring hole at CB? Yes every team would like to have 6 pro-bowl players competing at CB, but its never going to happen. In the NFL you dont get everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Here's an ES exercise ... what other NFL team has a deeper set of CB's?

Philly - Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Roderick Hood, Matt Ware

Kenny Wright will prove to be a more valuable pick up than some of "high profile" guys. I was excited when they signed him, and disappointed it wasn't a multiple year deal.

I'm glad other people are starting to catch on. This was a huge signing. Walt Harris gave away two games for us last season, so nickel corner was a high priority. Enter Kenny Wright: starting-caliber CB from one of the few defenses in the NFL who ranked better than ours.

Dallas does with Newman, Henry, and Glenn
Philly - Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Roderick Hood, Matt Ware

I'm glad other people are starting to catch on. This was a huge signing. Walt Harris gave away two games for us last season, so nickel corner was a high priority. Enter Kenny Wright: starting-caliber CB from one of the few defenses in the NFL who ranked better than ours.

Those are pretty good units. Are they better than ours? That's an eye of the beholder question. Case could be made maybe they are, and an equally compelling case could be made they're not.

Point being ... you have to look pretty hard around the league to find a group of CB's that look clearly "better" than Springs, Rogers and Wright. It may not be the top crew, but it's hardly a weakness.

I don't think you can necessarily consider tham apart from the rest of the D. There are different philosophies about how to build or run a defense. If your front 4 get the pressure it takes a lot off of the secondary, speed at linebacker can dictate who you need best at safety or corner, etc. I don't know that you can just list ours-vs-theirs and make any kind of qualitative assessment in a vacuum.

Im not worryed about are CB's at all spring and rogers are great, wright will b a good back up, i still think we need a nickel coner but i geuss wright will b are guy. next year i think we need to take a CB in the draft to replace springs cuz hes up there in age.

Don't we have some rookie corners in camp?

I think there are actually 10 CBs currently on the roster. The list from the opening of the thread plus: Aric Williams (finishing up NFL Europe), John Eubanks, Chijoke Gonnagetya, and Chris Hawkins. The last three are undrafted FA signings.

At the moment, Carlos Rogers gives me the most concern simply because there isn't a lot of information given out concerning his injury nor his rehab.

With Greg Williams on board, don't you think the CB's have been rated ?

To answer the thread question -- no, not at all. (Keep reading).

Here's an ES exercise ... what other NFL team has a deeper set of CB's?
Dallas does with Newman, Henry, and Glenn

You misread the question, bro. It was who has a deeper set of CB's, not a more talented top 3. I think we're extremely deep at CB. As deep as other teams? Who knows...when you get down to 4th, 5th and 6th string CBs, there is probably little difference, and different DC's will want different type players.

After Sprngs and Rogers we've got:

Wright - starter on an excellent Jags defense last season. Couldn't ask for more from a nickel CB.

Jimoh - Has steadily improved every year in the league, and is no longer the push-over he was for so long. Not worried at all with him in the game, as he'll be covering the 4th or 5th WR anyway.

Patterson - Not much to base this guy on...played well in limited time last season, but then so did Wilds and he was gone this year.

Also, Pierson Prioleau can play CB as he did last season in spots. In a pinch Prioleau can be moved to FS and Taylor can play CB. And then there are the 3 or 4 rookies fighting for spots. Onyenegecha looks the most promising, if only for his size. He's a poor-man's Cromartie from all reports.

Archived