Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Add/adhd...

Renegade7

Diet and Exercise solves 99% of the problems diagnosed as ADD. IMO.

But it's easier for parents to shove a pill down a kids throat and sitting them in front of the idiot box than it is to spend time hiking, riding bikes, playing catch etc etc

Absolutely.

I think that's part of the problem he's talking about. It's not a freakin disease like many make it out to be. IMO, it's just that some people have different ways of processing information and functioning than others. It's been said before that people with ADD have almost a hunter/gatherer way of working. Short bursts of intense concentration when something is very interesting (ie, hunting something) but that type of personality is not ideal for the way our modern society operates. People with ADD do well in jobs such as being a firefighter because, when inspired, people with ADD are able to hyperfocus and concentrate on things in a way others can't.

I've been diagnosed with ADD and they tried to put me on meds but I didn't like them. All of them gave me unwanted side effects with virtually no benefits. Besides, the drugs like Ritalin are nothing but speed and I don't care what anyone says, I don't think it's healthy to be on speed everyday. When I took Ritalin, I took it on an as needed basis, such as, I have a big test tomorrow, I need to focus while studying.

Oh, also, people build tolerances and addictions to Ritalin-like drugs. I've known people who were put on it at around 7 years old and now, in their 20s, can't get through a day without literally 100s of milligrams of Ritalin. It's a drug, just like all other legal and illegal ones, and it should be prescribed with much more care, if it all, imho.

Again, I completely disagree that ADD is some kind of a disease. It's merely and different type of personality and way of processing information. The person with it has to learn how to use the benefits and overcome the limiting factors of this mindset in order to fully participate in modern society because it is not currently set up to cater to that kind of brain functioning.

I do not think it is a disease to me it is more of a learning disability. You have to train yourself how to concentrate and how to put your energy to a good use. It is that simple. Here are a few prime examples:

1. I can not focus on one thing at a time. I have to be doing multiple things at once. Example- Homework, TV and radio must be on for me to focus and I can tell you what is happening with all three things. Example - Work I must have a few things going on at once to concentrate on what I am working on. I use ES a lot with this.

2. I am beyond hyperactive. Like I stated earlier I slept an hour a day till I was 3 years old (I know my poor mother). To this day I am always on the go. I can not sit still for long periods of time. Yes this drives pez and HSF crazy. Sometimes if I do not use up all of my energy my brain will keep me up all night long. It is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going and going. Often in many directions. This also describes why I am so good at planning an event.

Main issue in school was writing papers. I would be typing one paragraph while my brain was writing a paragraph ahead of what I could type. I learned to write papers late at night when my brain has slowed down enough to stay with my typing skills.

I have had all kinds of test on my ADD/ADHD. To the point even my cardiologist states I have a higher heart rate than a normal person because of my hyperactivity. My metabolism is also higher than normal people.

I do agree that this is a scapegoat for a lot of doctors. They try to diagnosis everyone with this disorder. Even kids with behavior problems are told it is because they are ADD/ADHD.

Huly, I do not doubt that it exists. I also do not refute the claims from people describing the difficulties involved with it.

Not my intention at all.

Just pointing out that ADD has become a panacea for parents and authorities to lump any problem into a neat file.

Huly, I do not doubt that it exists. I also do not refute the claims from people describing the difficulties involved with it.

Not my intention at all.

Just pointing out that ADD has become a panacea for parents and authorities to lump any problem into a neat file.

I agree with what you stated 100%. Doctors love to say anything and everything is ADD/ADHD. Mostly any child that has a behavior issue is automatically diagnosed as ADD and that is ridiculous.

I know a few people who are prescribed to it. The individuals (college-middle age) either take the pills themselves to party or sell them for such purposes. These include Aderol and Ritalin and their generic counterparts. I personally do not believe in ADD or ADHD. My best friend was diagnosed with adult ADD at the age of 22. He is prescribed generic ritalin. But he rarely takes it for studying/concentrating purposes. I joke around that he was given the prescription because, "He has a hard time concentrating when drinking".

My advice is be careful with these drugs as they are fairly powerful and can be addictive.

I had a kid in college who would go into my room cracked the addaral I took, and sniffed it up like a coke fiend. I found out the first time, whooped his ass and locked my door ever since. But yeah Burgundy Bleeder is right.

By the way, I got ADHD bad, its why I'm here sometimes when I should be working. I commend those who have dealt with ADHD without taking pills. Good for you, but for that **** really helps. I don't take it when I don't have work, and I hear what some of you are saying about it changing who u are. That's cool, but don't have so much pride, that you can't admit when you need it.

• 9 months later...

I have had dysthymia (chronic-low grade depression) for the past five years. I have seen several pdocs and been on some anti depressants. They didn't seem to work very well. I have just recently been perscribed strattera, which is a neropinephrine reuptake inhibitor and not a stimulant. Strattera is for ADD/ADHD which I think i may have. I have taken ritilan in the past but only took it for a few months because I hated the way it made me feel. I felt like it zapped my personality and it made eating impossible. The thing is though, I am very organized and pretty much know where everything I own is at all times. I will sometimes write things down and make lists of things I need to do, want to do, or should do. When I get a test or something I will often skip to the end and work backwords from the end to the beginning. I also have an enormous amou Do these sound like ADD symptoms? I have a great memory and I am great at remembering events and what happend, who said what....things like that. I also enjoy brain teasers, trivia, and puzzles.

What has bothered me the most is the anxiety and depression that I have. I often have mood swings. I often try to percieve what others are thinking and I do it so often that it makes me anxious a lot. Anyone else have this problem? I have trouble with interpersonal face to face conversations because I am often nervous and my mind can't concentrate. This as a result, causes me to be depressed often.

Can anyone else relate to this??

I am really hoping that strattera will provide me some relief. I am glad that they have a non stimulant medication out now.

EDIT: Also, I have this horrible and constant "brain fog" which causes me to seem out of it I guess. Some of my fraternity brothers have said that I often seem like im out in left field. The brain fog is hard to describe, the best I have heard it described is that it is "like there is a ball of cotton between your ears and you view the world through a lens that is out of focus."

I'm just curious if any parents have kids with ADD or ADHD. I have ADHD, and even though my parents don't know it, I'm not taking the meds now. I can't stand them, but I "have" to take them. It's almost like I'm being looked at like some diseased child or something. Sure my attention span isn't great, and I do get forgetful, but c'mon!!! Again, curious what everyone else has to say about this ADHD thing. I know it's real, but I'm not looking at it as an excuse and I'm not putting any perscription drugs in my body. To hell with it, I'd rather have a 5 second attention span then take that crap anymore.

Any war stories like mine? What do ya'll feel about this?

ADD/ADHD, in my opinion, is over-diagnosed. basically, its a mechanism for teachers to get kids on drugs that calm them down and make life easier for the teacher. I supposedly have ADD, but if anything, when i'm not concentrating, it because i just don't really want to. I've been on different meds, but i stopped taking them a few years ago because i decided that i'm not gonna take these damn mind-altering drugs just becuase i don't pay attention when people want me to. if i feel like paying attention, i'll do it without some damn drug making me.

Try getting some opinions from other doctors. Being distracted in class and procrastinating school work sounds VERY normal for a college student. You may not like the subject, your teacher might have a monotone voice which is also very boring. ADD/ADHD is overdiagnosed because its such an easy solution, just drug the guy up and bang, solved.

I doodle in class and alot of times i start day dreaming about random things. I was not diagnosed with anything, the teacher is just boring.

How is your attention span when you are doing something you like though?

(long post)

strattera was the last drug i was on for ADD. i didn't like it. either i was allergic to it making my thoat close up a bit, or it got stuck in my throat EVERY TIME!!! either way, i didn't like it very much.

and about the anxiety, just try to get the thought into your head that you don't care what others think about you. if they don't like you for who you are, then **** 'em.

Try getting some opinions from other doctors. Being distracted in class and procrastinating school work sounds VERY normal for a college student. You may not like the subject, your teacher might have a monotone voice which is also very boring. ADD/ADHD is overdiagnosed because its such an easy solution, just drug the guy up and bang, solved.

I doodle in class and alot of times i start day dreaming about random things. I was not diagnosed with anything, the teacher is just boring.

How is your attention span when you are doing something you like though?

When it is something I am interested in I can pay superclose attention. Which also a symptom of ADD, or so I have read.

I also agree that it is over diagnosed. I stopped the ritalin because I hated it. I'd rather not be on meds but I am willing to try anything because my quality of life could be a lot better.

I am just looking for some relief I guess.

my theory is that ADD springs from a lack of challenge in schools at a young age. most ADD people i know are the smarter people i know. i know in elementry school i had to find ways to entertain myself during class when it was moving so slowly because a few people didn't understand simple mathematical concepts. i'd find myself doing anything to be entertained. it also didn't help that i never had recess (we had agendas we were supposed to take home to get signed by our parents every day, and i just didn't go to the effort of ever getting it signed) so i would have to sit out for half an hour or so. in that time, i would find myself watching ants are pretty much anything that moved.

my theory is that ADD springs from a lack of challenge in schools at a young age. most ADD people i know are the smarter people i know. i know in elementry school i had to find ways to entertain myself during class when it was moving so slowly because a few people didn't understand simple mathematical concepts. i'd find myself doing anything to be entertained. it also didn't help that i never had recess (we had agendas we were supposed to take home to get signed by our parents every day, and i just didn't go to the effort of ever getting it signed) so i would have to sit out for half an hour or so. in that time, i would find myself watching ants are pretty much anything that moved.

Yep, my brother has ADD for sure and he is basically a genious. His IQ is very high and I think he qualified for mensa. Although, he doesn't even care. He went to TJ for highschool. He took ritalin but has stopped because he said it made him feel like a zombie, same reason I stopped. My brother also had a fasination with ants. :)

My IQ isn't as high as his but I think the last time I was tested it was high average. I hope this medication (strattera) provides me with some relief.

Diet and Exercise solves 99% of the problems diagnosed as ADD. IMO.

But it's easier for parents to shove a pill down a kids throat and sitting them in front of the idiot box than it is to spend time hiking, riding bikes, playing catch etc etc

Your jaw-dropping research has left me speachless.

i think the best treatment for add/adhd is to be aware of it and work through it in your mind. It is overdiagnosed in kids by far. I am sure I can get diagnosed with it if I wanted. I definitely lose focus at times, rarely ever could study at times, get sidetracked easily, misplace things. However, whatever, I can deal, I just need to work better at keeping things inp lace or get into the habit of doing things so I won't get sidetracked.

I know one person who was told she is add when she was in her late 20s. She just said it sorta explained things, but it's not like she thought anything big of her condition.

I guess that is my point, people may have it, but it isn't serious. Kudos to all of you who aren't using it as an excuse. Some people just buy into it though, sorta think it is worse than it is because it is a more accepted psychological condition now.

Actually, it is serious. Or at least it can be. As much as the 2 can be overdiagnosed, (I agree with this for the most part), and over medicated, it can be in fact, a very serious problem. Yes, we all can lose focus, procrastinate, ect... It's just that those with ADD/ADHD do so more, (sometimes/many times, much more), than you're average person. That's a bit of an over simplification, but it get's the point across. Do not underestimate just how much these 2 can impact people's lives. Not just those who have it, but those around them. It can be very disruptive, can cost those who have them jobs and relationships, and can lead to many emotional side effects. These can, at times, be even crippling. Yes, there are those that can and will use this as an excuse but there are those who face this head on, (just like depression, and other things), and learn to live and deal with it. Some use medication. Some don't and learn to deal with it. Some do both and add in mental exercises to help as well. Point being, again, do not underestimate just how tough it can be for those who have these.

Actually, it is serious. Or at least it can be. As much as the 2 can be overdiagnosed, (I agree with this for the most part), and over medicated, it can be in fact, a very serious problem.

Oh, I won't disagree there, I think any problem has ranges though. Children aside, in adults, you have some who just buy into the hype and end up making it worse than it is. Not the excuse thing, but more they just think it's worse than it is because it's "add/adhd" and that ends up making it worse.

I will agree though that some people just cannot control it, and thanks for giving some better examples. And lots of the cases in diagnosed adults can end up being stronger than one would think. I guess my biases to taking any sort of pills are coming through a bit is all.

I'm just curious if any parents have kids with ADD or ADHD. I have ADHD, and even though my parents don't know it, I'm not taking the meds now. I can't stand them, but I "have" to take them. It's almost like I'm being looked at like some diseased child or something. Sure my attention span isn't great, and I do get forgetful, but c'mon!!! Again, curious what everyone else has to say about this ADHD thing. I know it's real, but I'm not looking at it as an excuse and I'm not putting any perscription drugs in my body. To hell with it, I'd rather have a 5 second attention span then take that crap anymore.

Any war stories like mine? What do ya'll feel about this?

I was officially diagnosed ADD/ADHD at 18 but everyone knew I was earlier in life. Until I was 3 years old I slept an hour a day and that was it. I know my poor mom. :doh: I have learned how to deal with my ADD/ADHD. It is not an easy process but it can be done. Here is what I have learned:

ADD/ADHD everything is opposite. Meds that will make normal people sleepy makes us hyper. Things that give people energy calm us down. Example- Ritalin is actually a speed med. As a baby my doctor told my parents to put unsweetened tea and coffee in my bottle. It calms me down and knocks me out. The caffeine has a opposite effect on us. In school my mom would bring me unsweetened tea at lunch where I could survive the second half of the school day. To this day I still use caffeine as a staple in my life. It helps!

Also ADD/ADHD people can not concentrate on one thing at a time. We have to do multiple things. In school my teachers would call parent conferences all the time telling my mom "do you know what your daughter does in class? She writes notes to her friends, doodles, and does homework for other courses". My mom's answer "Well does she answer all of your questions". Teacher "Yes and she answers correctly". My mom "Well that is why she does all those others things. Without the other things she would never be able to answer your questions". Homework consisted of me watching TV, listening to the radio, talking on the phone and doing my homework at one time. the best papers I ever wrote was at 2AM when my brain was tired enough to concentrate on the paper. To this day at work I do crossword puzzles, surf the net etc. That is the only way I can concentrate on my job.

I tried Ritalin at 18 and felt like a zombie. I hated it and quit taking it. The main issues with ADD/ADHD is you can feel stupid. Most ADD/ADHD people have a higher IQ than normal people but we just need to learn our brain and how to work it. Also people around you need to learn how to deal with you. my boss learns more everyday along with my parents, husband and friends.

A lot of people always wonder how I can organize the tailgate and remember the little things, well now you know. My ADD/ADHD brain goes in hundreds of different directions so I can not forget the little things. :silly:

If you have any other questions just ask!

Both of my roommates are ADD/ADHD sufferers. They show the two very different roads that sufferers of those afflictions can have.

My male roommate's parents did nothing to try and deal with his problem. To the point of denying it for a number of years. Even though one of his parents is in the medical field. They complained about the results of his problem, but never really tried to get him any help for it. At this point he "sefl-medicates" with nicotine. He's unemployed, unemployable, has little to no social interaction outside our apartment. He watches cartoons and other non-intellectual programing on TV almost to the exclusion of everything else. He's very intelligent, but has never had the assistance to get the focus he'd really need to be able to use that to his advantage.

My female roommate's (the male roommate's wife) parents were the exact opposite. While they refused to have her medicated, they did many different things to ensure that she learned how to focus when necessary and to deal with her issues when she couldn't focus as well. She's the breadwinner in their family, and in many cases her husband's conscience and check on his emotions.

At times I'm not sure how the heck she deals with him. I know that at times they both frustrate the hell out of me with their inability to keep on topic and on point; or to understand/see things that I think are pretty basic. She's much better in those regards than he is most of the time. I get to see both ends of the spectrum on a daily basis.

There are many different ways that this problem can be dealt with. I'd suggest not taking your medication probably isn't the best of them. Just my :2cents:

Archived