Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happend to CB?

glikster04

We clearly need one more solid corner.

Agreed - I wouldn't feel so strongly if Springs proved that he was able to stay healthy. Don't get me wrong, I love Springs as a Skin, but he has proven that he is becoming more physically fragile.....

If people are so sure our backup OL are capable than how come the faith in guys like Christian Morton and Dmitri Patterson is not there? :evil:

I don't see these players as being any less 'proven' than Jim Molinaro, Jonathan Alston or the others.

If people are so sure our backup OL are capable than how come the faith in guys like Christian Morton and Dmitri Patterson is not there? :evil:

I don't see these players as being any less 'proven' than Jim Molinaro, Jonathan Alston or the others.

Our Oline has plenty of depth besides the starters we have....

Like you said Alston and Molinaro, Pucillo who has started in this league and Tyson Walter who has started a few games as well. Gibbs in his pre-draft presser said that the scouts found 2 guys last year off other teams practice squads, that they really liked.

Just look at the sig....:)

we are one injury away from a losing season right now.

Sorry, but that's one of the most wussie ignorant alarmist statements I've seen in a while. Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers are fine corerbacks, but the difference between being a Super Bowl contender and having a losing season????????? C'mon and get real!!!!!!!!

Right now, the Skins have Springs, Rogers, and Wright, who started all 16 games for the Jags last season. Can anyone name a single team in the entire league that goes 4 legit starting cornerbacks deep?

The Skins were certainly open to drafting a corner, if a corner came up as the best player at any particular pick. But you just can't base all of your personnel decisions based on worst case injury scenarios. The salary cap and free agency simply don't allow any team to be extremely deep at every position. At some point, you have to hedge your bets and coach up the guys you got.

CB is the easiest position to scout, so the good ones are usually gone at the end of the 2nd round.

Personally, I have to disagree about it being the easiest position to scout. When it comes to DB's you can't really just look at stats and a little bit of film. The only way to tell how good a guy is, is to look at every game and really study his technique and ability in-depth.

As far as CB, right now we have Springs and Rogers starting, with Wright a 16 game starter, as our nickel back. Then we have Jimoh who has improved and he started to excel on special teams at the end of last year. Jimoh would be covering the other teams 4th best WR, no worries. How many 4 WR sets are we gonna see other teams do against us? My bet would not be a whole lot with Greg Williams attcking them. Morton or Pattrson could develop into a decent player who knows?

Ok you say what if we have an injury? Tell me another team that has a better top 3 than us? Sure there are probably 5 or 6 better.....Then tell me who there 4th guy is......well every NFL team has this problem, there are not enough talented corners to fill the needs.

People on here have talked alot about how improved Jimoh is. Considering we have Rogers and Springs, if Jimoh is really improved, and you add in a guy who was a starter(and not a nickel CB) for a 12-4 team(I forget), we have some decent players at CB.

People on here have talked alot about how improved Jimoh is. Considering we have Rogers and Springs, if Jimoh is really improved, and you add in a guy who was a starter(and not a nickel CB) for a 12-4 team(I forget), we have some decent players at CB.

Exactly

Vikings, Panthers

anyways we have to face T.O. and Terry Glenn with Whitten and now fassano(sp?) It wouldn't hurt to bring in another capable CB

Witten or Fassano being TE's would be mostly covered by linebackers in a basic 4-3 set. Sure it wouldn't hurt to have 5 or 6 capable cover corners but where are they gonna come from?

Vikings? There top 2 are Smoot and Winfield, who are 3 and 4?

Panthers? They have Gamble, Lucas and Reggie Howard who is #4?

Guys, the only time we would have picked up a CB in the draft is with our 2nd rounder.

We are in need of a future #2 cornerback...not in any real need for a cornerback that would contribute this year.

This is an argument that's been made before and I agree with it which is our D-line will be much improved especially with the addition of Carter to go with Griffin and Daniels. The more of a pass rush that's generated will help the pressure put on the CBs. I didn't like Jimoh when came in during Spurrier's tenure, but the guy has really progressed. Plus, if Coach Williams thought he was that bad, the guy wouldn't have lasted the first training camp in '04. I also thought they should have gone the CB route with their second day picks, but the fact they went D-line and LB shows how much confidence they have in the guys that are there now.

Even though 2 corners are "starters" the third corner gets so much playing time, you have to treat him as a starter, because a hole at nickle corner can hurt you big time. As it stands, I think we have a good 1,2,3; but with one injury, that puts Jimoh in our nickle corner....which bugs me. If our corners proved that they could stay healthy, that is one thing, but Springs has only played 3 "full seasons" in his nine year career....

We don't need CB... we have already four good guy (Springs, Rogers, Wright and Jimoh + youngs players... like patterson , morton etc).

I have to respectfully disagree with you. We absolutely need at least one more starting calibur CB. If Springs or Rogers were to be unavailable then we would be in big trouble. I am not confident in Jimoh at this point although he has shown improvement this past season and Wright is somewhat of an unknown.

Gibbs said in the press conference after the draft that theyre looking at the UDFA market now and also the june 1st stuff.

Is it inconceivable to think that we might pick up a veteran corner from another team post June 1st? I mean, just to look at things from a different angle here for a mo, D-line and Linebackers, we drafted depth/backups/developmental players in the late rounds and one contender for the WLB. Corners, we already have developmental players whove developed for a year or more here (Jimoh etc).

Therefore perhaps theyre looking at it from a similar stance as the Holdman thing last year, bring in a guy for the vet minimum who knows his trade but not our system, rather than trying to teach a rookie to be a starter in 6 weeks.

Personally id take someone with a little nfl experience over a late draft pick/udfa.

Archived