Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happend to CB?

glikster04

Gibbs said in the press conference after the draft that theyre looking at the UDFA market now and also the june 1st stuff.

Is it inconceivable to think that we might pick up a veteran corner from another team post June 1st? I mean, just to look at things from a different angle here for a mo, D-line and Linebackers, we drafted depth/backups/developmental players in the late rounds and one contender for the WLB. Corners, we already have developmental players whove developed for a year or more here (Jimoh etc).

Therefore perhaps theyre looking at it from a similar stance as the Holdman thing last year, bring in a guy for the vet minimum who knows his trade but not our system, rather than trying to teach a rookie to be a starter in 6 weeks.

Personally id take someone with a little nfl experience over a late draft pick/udfa.

I'm fine with this idea, I just get antsy when the FO doesn't talk about needing CB depth. They may have casually, but not in detail, so I'm worried that they think they are set. I don't want to be a broken record, but Springs is not likely to play the whole season, so if we stay put, our nickle package is going to feature "Oh No, Jimoh"....

People on here have talked alot about how improved Jimoh is. Considering we have Rogers and Springs, if Jimoh is really improved, and you add in a guy who was a starter(and not a nickel CB) for a 12-4 team(I forget), we have some decent players at CB.

Not only that, but don't forget how much Williams plays his safeties in 1-on-1 coverage as well. Pierson Prielou may be the 3rd safety, but he'll be on the field for a a good number of the defense's snaps.

If anything, you'll see the Redskins pick-up another safety after the June 1 cuts just to compete with Doughty. Williams loves his discarded safeties.

Fellas, do you remember the Arizona Cardinals game when Kurt Warner threw a slant screen pass to Anquaan Boldin for a possible 5 yard gain. Did you notice the quick reaction from Ade Jimoh to make a tough tackle for a few lossed yardages!

Now considering the physical disadvantages of Jimoh's size compared to Anquaan Boldin's- that series was no way to be a sure tackle unless Jimoh had played 5 yards from the line of scrimmage or if an offensive tackle come across to assist in a leading block.

The point of emphasis is that Jimoh has learned from Gregg Williams during his tenure. He has indeed become a better DB/NB with the right supporting cast to guide him along. So, I would not be too downgrading of his coverage skills this year!

While I agree that we will need to draft a potential number 2 corner to play alongside of Carlos Rogers, we are considerably durable with Springs, Rogers, Wright and Jimoh.

Are late round picks were horrible. Why and the hell did we draft 2 DT's it was point less. We could have got a CB, like Webb from Florida who went to the Jags in the 7th round or we could have gotten Matua from USC who I believe went to Det in the 6th round. Are drafting in the 2nd day these last 2 years have been horrible. Last year to 2 damn in H-Backs now this year 2 DT's. We better get Gordon from Kansas State a decent CB/WR in free agency.

Actually no we don't need depth at corner. The reason for addressing corner was to develop a long term future replacement at nickle (Jimoh and Wright will be UFAs in 07) or even to replace Springs. But this season the Redskins are set at corner. OL line depth is where they are really weak at, and currenly is the biggest need for this season.

Are late round picks were horrible. Why and the hell did we draft 2 DT's it was point less. We could have got a CB, like Webb from Florida who went to the Jags in the 7th round or we could have gotten Matua from USC who I believe went to Det in the 6th round. Are drafting in the 2nd day these last 2 years have been horrible. Last year to 2 damn in H-Backs now this year 2 DT's. We better get Gordon from Kansas State a decent CB/WR in free agency.

You don't draft for need in the 6th and 7th round; you look for special teamers and perennial backups/camp fodder. I am happy with the special teamers we picked up in the later rounds. You wanted a CB in the 5th, 6th or 7th round? Which job would they compete for, 5th backup? I am confident in the FO, and if we need a CB, wait for the June 1st cuts, or we can even wait until FA next year.

I told you guys that corner was not a priority and that Kenny Wright is a capable nickel back. Corner depth will be addressed in 2007 when Wright's contract is up and the team can focus on that spot in the draft.

We didn't need 2 DT's, Wynn is going to move to DT. We could have drafted a CB or depth in the OL. Regarding the June 1st cuts, can we afford anyone who get's cut?? Remember we have 3.2 mil left in the salary cap. Some of that money will be given to are rookies.

you are assuming that Carter is able to be an everydown DE in the 4-3. While the Skins have committed to trying this out, Carter has to be able to hold the point against the run. If he can't then Wynn goes back to being an early down DE with Carter coming in to play on passing downs.

the other reason the Redskins chose DTs is the lack of development of guys like Aki Jones, Cedric Killings and some of the others. Killings has been around Redskins Park for almost 3 years and has yet to make an impact on the field. Jones was recently released.

compare that to the backfield where the Redskins have two returning starters at CB and have a nickel back that was a starter on a playoff squad in 2005.

I would also like to mention that aside from our upgraded defensive line, our offense has been DRAMATICALLY upgraded. I can't see a saunders offense not averaging around 28pts per game. Even if both our starting corners were out, our offense should be able to bail our defense out if we give up a couple extra big plays per game.

We better get Gordon from Kansas State a decent CB/WR in free agency.

Oh yeah? What are you going to do boycott the Redskins? Please do. First off, aside from Griffin, we're not swimming in quality DT depth, so picking up two DTs was as sensible as anything else. Second, I'd like to see Charles Gordon or Anwar Phillips here, but we wouldn't be looking for them to come in as WRs; we've adequately addressed pretty much all of our needs as efficiently as any team in the league.

Our main need in this draft was to bring in someone who can challenge for a starting OLB job and we did exactly that. One might argue that Montgomery could have been had a round later, but there's no question D-line depth is crucial to a team who rotates like we do. I think I'll go with Williams' instincts over yours in this case. Also, it's OUR not ARE.

You don't draft for need in the 6th and 7th round; you look for special teamers and perennial backups/camp fodder. I am happy with the special teamers we picked up in the later rounds. You wanted a CB in the 5th, 6th or 7th round? Which job would they compete for, 5th backup? I am confident in the FO, and if we need a CB, wait for the June 1st cuts, or we can even wait until FA next year.

FINALLY WE HAVE SOMEONE WHO MAKES SENSE, I COMPLETLY CONCURE.

If Springs and Rogers both go down we're probably screwed either way.

okay people name one team that if they lose both their startin corners aren't screwed? i mean come on, lets just sign fletcher and law then we'll be set right? :doh:

Wright started for jax and jimoh is going to be a good nickel or dime corner. GW will roll the coverage where needed IF it needs to be.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. We absolutely need at least one more starting calibur CB. If Springs or Rogers were to be unavailable then we would be in big trouble. I am not confident in Jimoh at this point although he has shown improvement this past season and Wright is somewhat of an unknown.

How is Wright an unknown? just because you might not have heard of him? He started 16 games for a team that was 12-4 last year. What more do you need to know? Also he has great size. You name one team that has a 4th corner that is starter quality? There isn't any because they would be starting for another team.

wright started all 16 games, that sounds like a quality nickel back to me. you can't sign all stars to be your nickel corner because if you took big name people to be backups, you would have "cap hell"

wright will be good for now, but we will need to look for a CB in the draft next year to be springs replacement for the future.

We are really fine at Cornerback if you ask me. Ade Jimoh dosnt absolutely **** anymore and he can actually tackle now. Not to mention he is a beast on special teams. Then we got a former starter in Kenny Wright as our nickel Corner and Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers should be able to start. Then theres that Patterson dude that was from our practice squad and played in the Cowboys game and got an interception.

I wouldnt mind adding a few more people here, but I dont think its a dire need either.

Redskins signed from UDFA CBs

Redskins | Team agrees with UDFA C. Onyenegecha

Mon, 1 May 2006 16:11:37 -0700

Redskins.com reports the Washington Redskins have agreed to a contract with undrafted rookie free agent CB Chijioke Onyenegecha (Oklahoma).

Redskins | Team agrees with UDFA C. Hawkins

Mon, 1 May 2006 16:09:55 -0700

Redskins.com reports the Washington Redskins have agreed to a contract with undrafted rookie free agent CB Chris Hawkins (Marshall).

Archived