Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The movie Fever Pitch

HOF44

I've seen the previews and the gayness of it seemed a bit too much. LOL

Seriously, was it a decent movie? I've heard horrendous reviews.

The movies just ok, but the guy in it is a serious Sox fanatic. The way he acted towards his Redsox just reminds me of so many people that post on ES. Its worth watching just to see how important his team is in his life.

Anybody seen this? Just watched it. It reminds me of me and so many people on this site. Just substitute Redskins for Redsox. :laugh::laugh:

I thought the same same thing when I saw it on HBO the other week. :laugh:

Anybody seen this? Just watched it. It reminds me of me and so many people on this site. Just substitute Redskins for Redsox. :laugh::laugh:

I would have said, "Just substitute 'kins' for 'ox', because I like relatives better than beasts of burden."

Seriously, this movie was much better than I expected it would be. 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

I thought it was a good movie that looked at sports obsession very well. People do plan their lives around sporting events. Football's not too bad because it's not as long but baseball? 81 home games plus spring training is crazy.

My favorite part was when Drew Barrymore got whacked in the head while sitting and working on her laptop at the game.

Well, how about some comments from someone who has LIVED IN RED SOX NATION for 31 years.......

The movie was nothing more than a ploy to make money on the only decent thing the Red Sox have done in nearly ninety years. It was a box office dud for the most part, especially here in New England. Why would anyone here go see it, we'd all lived throught it the year before IN REAL LIFE. I've only seen parts of the movie, not the whole thing end to end, but really there's no point in it... I live around all the characters in the movie in my every day life. If any of you have never met a Red Sox fan who was born and raised in New England, you've never seen the true, fullest extent of manic-depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. This is a group of people who think Curt Schilling is Zeus himself, that Carlton Fisk has telekinesis and for whom the phrases "Bucky Dent", "Aaron Boone", and "Bill Buckner" are curse words of the highest order. Buckner received over 500 DEATH THREATS in November of 1986.

Now, I can't speak for Redskins fans who live in close proximity to Fed Ex field and the surrounding environs to say whether or not it's truly the same spirit and hysteria that surrounds Red Sox Nation. There are non-baseball fans in New England who KNOW that from April to October every year their social calendars will be empty... Why? you ask. Because they are married to, or dating a Red Sox fan and that means 162 games of die-hard hysteria and depression depending on how things go with the team. 162 days and nights where Daddy/Hubby can't go to dinner, mow the lawn, or evacuate the house during a fire because the Red Sox are on NESN.

I will say that this board DOES at times remind me of SOSH (Sons of Sam Horn) the Red Sox unofficial message board where players like Schilling and others read quite often and comment on occassionally and where rumors, ideas and arguements abound over everything from the color of uniforms to what pitch should have been thrown to a batter the night before.

Just my :2cents: from someone who lives in New England and who used to be a member of Red Sox Nation.

Does this mean that you have come to the Evil Empire? :D

NO. It means that while I watch the Red Sox often and follow them on a pretty much day-to-day basis, I don't have the interest or excitement level that I used to get from living and dying with the team every night. I think that for a lot of Red Sox fans the outcome of the 2004 season really did mean we could die happy now. The team the last two years has not had the same pull or allure for a lot of us. Part of it is the players. Part is the fact that we have now won a World Series. Things like that.

Now, I can't speak for Redskins fans who live in close proximity to Fed Ex field and the surrounding environs to say whether or not it's truly the same spirit and hysteria that surrounds Red Sox Nation.

There's a big difference between the number of games, but the passion is the same. I mean Pez arrives at FedEx for a 8pm game at 6am to tailgate. Thats just one crazy, but admirable example of passion for a team.

NO. It means that while I watch the Red Sox often and follow them on a pretty much day-to-day basis, I don't have the interest or excitement level that I used to get from living and dying with the team every night. I think that for a lot of Red Sox fans the outcome of the 2004 season really did mean we could die happy now. The team the last two years has not had the same pull or allure for a lot of us. Part of it is the players. Part is the fact that we have now won a World Series. Things like that.

So, Its kind of like Fair weather fans, but the opposite? :silly: I guess I just dont get it..

It was Gay, any movie about the Red Sox or their classless fans is gay.

Gay by a person who's screen name is wood :rotflmao: unintentional comedy at its finest :laugh: BTW, was there anything more classless or ridiculous then the Yankees fan running around the stadium in a ghost costume only to witness the BIGGEST CHOKE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS :laugh:

I, Like MSF have been a diehard my entire life, I was at the festivities downtown after the series win, and I have lived and died a Sox fan my entire life.

We are a strange breed, and wearing a sox hat will automacally bring you lifelong friends in ANY city. Being there are so many colleges in Boston, and they've been the perrenial underdog, they have a global following. I've met sox fans everywhere, I had an American in Tokyo strike up a conversation with me because I was wearing their hat.

For those who don't know what sox fandom is about, here is a post on sosh (the Sons of Sam Horn) right before game 7 in 04'. It pretty much strikes a chord with every generation of sox fans, and after the win, a trip to any cemetary in New England would find numerous Red Sox paraphenelia on many gravesites. It is a generational thing, and it is something we, as a fandom, take to heart.

Not to say the Redskins aren't as diehard, they are, but when you've lost in the way the Sox have over the years, 0-5 in game 7's, and losing in dramatic fashion, you have a kinship you never knew you had. It would be as if the Redskins never won a SB, and were the Buffalo Bills since the 20's, getting there but never winning. Every Sox fan wears their heart on their sleeve and the amazing thing is losing actually makes them love their team more. After game 7 in 03 (Arron effin Boone) all you could see was people wearing Sox hats in the city. The fandom is like a right of passage, from father to son, grandfather to father, the entire nation knows what true heartbreak is, and it just brings generations closer. It is someting you really have to experience to know what I am talking about.

They say it is better to love and lost then never to have loved at all, true. . .but it is even better to love, lose, then have your ex-girlfriend get a boob job, lose 30 pounds, become a supermodel and then call you back and tell you she wants to get married. That is how 04's was for a sox fan, the only thing I can equate the feeling I had was if I had a child, it was that euphoric of a feeling. I had so much seratonin pumping through my brain I felt like I was walikng on air. . .lietrally. There is nothing that could come close, the Pats SB win, while dramatic and unexpected was incredible, but it was also one game. The sox win was a four game crecendo starting out slowley and building and building until you actually thought the world was upside down. That is sox fandom, that was one of the most memorable times of my life, and there is absolutely nothing that could ever come close to it in terms of sports, nothing.

Here is the first post in the thread I was talking about, there are 50+ pages of posts like this, and it embodies what Red Sox nation is all about.

Win it for Johnny Pesky, who deserves to wear a Red Sox uniform in the dugout during the 2004 World Series. Mr. Henry, the trophy needs to be presented first of all to him.

Win it for Bobby Doerr, who, through the sadness of losing his beloved Monica, would love to see his Sox finally defeat New York in Yankee Stadium. Revenge is best served cold.

Win if for Dommie, the most loyal and devoted of men. If he hadn't gotten hurt in Game 7 of the '46 Series, Enos Slaughter would never have scored.

Win it for Carl Yastrzemski. While his heart still aches today, may a smile break through his personal storm-cloud this evening. His beloved son, Mike, will show us the way. God speed, number eight.

Win it for Ted, who once said, "If they ever won it, I would feel so @#%$ warm inside."

Win it for Tony, who taught us all the meaning of courage and grit. A day doesn't go by when I don't think of you, number 25.

Win it for Nedly and Ken and Possum - who provided us with nothing less than the soundtrack to our childhoods.

Win it for Richard Gorman, who followed the team passionately while residing in Queens and the Bronx. He was a master teacher, a supportive friend, and a diehard Red Sox fan.

Win if for Stiffy - who saw firsthand Denny Galehouse's hanging curves, worshiped the Golden Greek even after he died so suddenly back in '55, and got misty-eyed when Rico Petrocelli began to back-peddle on a squirting pop-up to short left-field on a placid October afternoon back in 1967.

Win if for Cheri - may she cry on Giff's shoulders tonight in pure joy and emotion - and not in the stew of pathos. Cheri's unconditional love for the Red Sox serves as a genuine measuring stick for us all.

Win it for Felix - who began living out "The September of My Years" last month as he hit fifty; a fan who has always believed that the impossible is just not a dream.

Win it for Eric Van. Eric, you have truly embodied Hemingway's definition of courage recently. Grace under pressure, indeed.

Win if for Eric Van's father.

Win it for Dalton and Moose and Norm and Buck and Zup and all of the other old-timers on this board whose lives have defined the virtue of loyalty.

Win it for our far-off posters, from Manila to Montana to Mark in London, who have continually kept the home fires burning thousands of miles away from Route 128.

Most of all, win it for James Lawrence Kelly, 1913-1986. This one's for you, Daddy. You always told me that loyalty and perseverance go hand in hand. Thanks for sharing the best part of you with me.

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornsoshboneyard.showPrevMessage?topicID=82.topic

So, Its kind of like Fair weather fans, but the opposite? :silly: I guess I just dont get it..

Yes, to a degree it is kind of the opposite of Fair Weather Fandom. The Boston Celtics had their GREAT run in the 1980's. The Bruins had theirs in the early 1970's and before. The Patriots might as well not have existed before 2001. The Boston Red Sox have really been the only long-term sports FORCE in New England. First off, they're the REGIONAL team. The Patriots are now, but up until the turn of the century there were probably nearly as many Giants, Jets and Bills fans in New England as Pats fans. Now THERE'S a fair weather fanbase for you.

The Red Sox won 5 of the frst 15 World Series ever played. They played (and still do) in downtown Boston, in a wonderful bandbox of a field that's so far past it realistic lifespan it isn't funny. The Red Sox play (now) 162 games a year and from mid-February to October that ARE the City of Boston. Their history is full of great success, failure and the oddest twists and turns in sports history. You can't find a team with more close calls and heartbreak in their history than the Sox. Every year there was always SOMETHING to make you come back and want to watch again. Even in the BAD years, there were good players that you rooted for (Rice, Lynn, Fisk, etc...) and people you wanted to root against (The Yankees, the ownership, the manager, Wade Boggs, etc...).

Now that they've WON another World Series, a lot of that air of interest is gone out of the team. There's no "Curse" to hear about every time a pitcher screws up or Manny Ramirez watches a belt high fastball go by for strike three. There isn't the level of drama and continuous distraction that the Red Sox used to have with them all the time. Now that they've won they're just another baseball team, whereas they used to be "The Boston Red Sox, who haven't won a World Series in ---- Years".

I, Like MSF have been a diehard my entire life, I was at the festivities downtown after the series win, and I have lived and died a Sox fan my entire life.

We are a strange breed, and wearing a sox hat will automacally bring you lifelong friends in ANY city. Being there are so many colleges in Boston, and they've been the perrenial underdog, they have a global following. I've met sox fans everywhere, I had an American in Tokyo strike up a conversation with me because I was wearing their hat.

I'm sorry, but i REALLY don't buy into this 'underdog' BS Sox fans are always passing off. How in the world can a team that spends that much and has that much talent be underdogs?? I'm really sick of the 'woe is me' act Sox fans put on. Get over yourselves.

Archived