Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The movie Fever Pitch

HOF44

As a Sox fan, I thought "Fever Pitch" was a very good movie, and agree with much of what Chomerics said, in terms of the feelings that that World Series raised, and still raises. It's true, although the movie is about a diehard Red Sox fan, the passion and enthusiasm can really be applied to any sports team(s) that one is a fan of. :)

CarrollsMine99.

I'm sorry, but i REALLY don't buy into this 'underdog' BS Sox fans are always passing off. How in the world can a team that spends that much and has that much talent be underdogs?? I'm really sick of the 'woe is me' act Sox fans put on. Get over yourselves.

AMEN!!! The sox fans have no class, and they whine about everything, and the actually say "all the Yankees do is buy championships" when address about the difference in rings between the Yanks and the deadsox

AMEN!!! The sox fans have no class, and they whine about everything, and the actually say "all the Yankees do is buy championships" when address about the difference in rings between the Yanks and the deadsox

I liken them to Boba Fett - sure you're not he Evil Empire, but you're not much better. And you're sure as hell not he Rebel Alliance.

Yes, to a degree it is kind of the opposite of Fair Weather Fandom. The Boston Celtics had their GREAT run in the 1980's. The Bruins had theirs in the early 1970's and before. The Patriots might as well not have existed before 2001. The Boston Red Sox have really been the only long-term sports FORCE in New England. First off, they're the REGIONAL team. The Patriots are now, but up until the turn of the century there were probably nearly as many Giants, Jets and Bills fans in New England as Pats fans. Now THERE'S a fair weather fanbase for you.

Well then please explain to my how they have sold out every game since 93'? The Pats fans have been around since Parcells came here over 10 years ago, I signed up for season tickets in 97 and I am still 10,000 down on the waiting list, so to say nobody paid attention to them until 01' is not correct. Maybe in Western Mass where you live, but not in the Boston area. But then again, you are only a few hours from NY City, and there are many many more Yankees fans as a % of pop out west then in Boston.

The Red Sox won 5 of the frst 15 World Series ever played. They played (and still do) in downtown Boston, in a wonderful bandbox of a field that's so far past it realistic lifespan it isn't funny. The Red Sox play (now) 162 games a year and from mid-February to October that ARE the City of Boston. Their history is full of great success, failure and the oddest twists and turns in sports history. You can't find a team with more close calls and heartbreak in their history than the Sox. Every year there was always SOMETHING to make you come back and want to watch again. Even in the BAD years, there were good players that you rooted for (Rice, Lynn, Fisk, etc...) and people you wanted to root against (The Yankees, the ownership, the manager, Wade Boggs, etc...).

Now that they've WON another World Series, a lot of that air of interest is gone out of the team. There's no "Curse" to hear about every time a pitcher screws up or Manny Ramirez watches a belt high fastball go by for strike three. There isn't the level of drama and continuous distraction that the Red Sox used to have with them all the time. Now that they've won they're just another baseball team, whereas they used to be "The Boston Red Sox, who haven't won a World Series in ---- Years".

Maybe they don't have the drama associated with them, but their fandom has actually INCREASED since 04'. Look at ticket prices, and how hard it is to get tickets as a good barometer. They are sold out again this year, and Yankees tickets retail for over $250 on the street. Maybe there is a little less passion associated, but no less fans, that's for sure.

I'm sorry, but i REALLY don't buy into this 'underdog' BS Sox fans are always passing off. How in the world can a team that spends that much and has that much talent be underdogs?? I'm really sick of the 'woe is me' act Sox fans put on. Get over yourselves.

Ummm, they ARE the underdog against the Yankees. They Yanks spend over 2X as much, over $100million MORE then the Sox, that makes them underdogs. They have been perrenial losers, that is a fact. The HISTORY of the team makes them underdogs, especially against NY. You may not like it because your team is an underdog against the Sox, and you may not like going to watch the Sox play in your ballpark only to find 1/2 the stadium rooting for the Sox, but that doesn't equate to them not being underdogs vs. Yankees.

Ummm, they ARE the underdog against the Yankees. They Yanks spend over 2X as much, over $100million MORE then the Sox, that makes them underdogs. They have been perrenial losers, that is a fact. The HISTORY of the team makes them underdogs, especially against NY. You may not like it because your team is an underdog against the Sox, and you may not like going to watch the Sox play in your ballpark only to find 1/2 the stadium rooting for the Sox, but that doesn't equate to them not being underdogs vs. Yankees.

They are underdogs to one team - and that is only because we continuely beat the crap of the you (except that one year). But the Sox fans try to act that the little team that could. BS, ask the Tampa Bay Devil Rays what being an underdog is really about.

Anybody seen this? Just watched it. It reminds me of me and so many people on this site. Just substitute Redskins for Redsox. :laugh::laugh:

I've seen the brit movie fever pitch- much better- colon firth and his life long obsession with arsenal- I thought it was funny.

They are underdogs to one team - and that is only because we continuely beat the crap of the you (except that one year). But the Sox fans try to act that the little team that could. BS, ask the Tampa Bay Devil Rays what being an underdog is really about.

Funny, I don't hear any of the 3 Devil Rays fans biatching :laugh:

You can be a small market team and win, you just have a MUCH less margin of error.

And you "continualy beat the crap out of us?" :laugh: Ummm, last time we played in the playoffs, we danced on your field and made Arod cry :rotflmao:

Here are a few pictures for you, just for rememberence. . .

animatedc.gif

timesheraldrecord.jpg

dailynews.jpg

globe.jpg

iChoke.jpg

Shirts.htm

JeterDamonrainbow.jpg

f14c3397.jpg

spaceball.gif

And my favorite . . .

de_1.JPG

Funny, I don't hear any of the 3 Devil Rays fans biatching :laugh:

You can be a small market team and win, you just have a MUCH less margin of error.

That was part of my point - they are true underdogs and yet they don't *****. Yet your Boba Fett team NEVER stops crying (speaking of their fans)

And you "continualy beat the crap out of us?" :laugh: Ummm, last time we played in the playoffs, we danced on your field and made Arod cry :rotflmao:

Like i said - except for one year. Thats ALL you have to latch on to though.

And here's some pics for you:

10114168.jpg

ssm-dentphs008001.jpg

Note how they are from two different years - Yankee fans can do that. :D

Yes, but in neither were they up 3-0 only to lose :laugh: I'll take 10 Dent's over the biggest choke in sports history anyday :laugh:

BTW, thanks for the picture on my space . . . **** :laugh:

Yes, but in neither were they up 3-0 only to lose :laugh: I'll take 10 Dent's over the biggest choke in sports history anyday :laugh:

BTW, thanks for the picture on my space . . . **** :laugh:

did it show up? all i see is the text. I need to work on my myspace mojo. :(

Well then please explain to my how they have sold out every game since 93'?.

A fool and His money are soon parted. Nothing more needs to be said on that topic.

Maybe they don't have the drama associated with them, but their fandom has actually INCREASED since 04'. Look at ticket prices, and how hard it is to get tickets as a good barometer. They are sold out again this year, and Yankees tickets retail for over $250 on the street. Maybe there is a little less passion associated, but no less fans, that's for sure.

Yes, there is less passion, from what I have seen. I'm not saying the fans are abandoning the team, but I just don't see the day-to-day passion from the die-hards here in New England over the team the last two years. Maybe it's a honeymoon period after having won the World Series in 2004, but I couldn't believe the LACK of outrage from Red Sox fans this past offseason when the roster got turned over so much and the general level of player brought in was considerably lower than the ones let go (at least in my mind). In past years fans would have been marching outside the Red Sox offices over such a series of moves. This year there's nothing.

Oh, and on the ticket prices, I"ll say again.... A fool and his money are soon parted. I can sit in my nice quiet room and watch every game, eat the food I want, not get beer spilled on me and I don't have to pay $250 for the privledge OR deal with Boston's citizens and traffic.

That was part of my point - they are true underdogs and yet they don't *****. Yet your Boba Fett team NEVER stops crying (speaking of their fans)

Like i said - except for one year. Thats ALL you have to latch on to though.

And here's some pics for you:

10114168.jpg

ssm-dentphs008001.jpg

:laugh: Chom that warm fuzzy feeling on your face is Rince's balls resting on it.

You just got pwn'd

Archived