Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Japanese people believe in death, right?

Slateman

Ok, first, I do not mean to be racist. There is this guy who is constantly getting on my nerves. He's Taiwanese btw. Sent this mass email via my school's network. Ugh.

He claims that aging is a disease that can be cured. But because we (the US) is so "religous" we just accept death.

Gets better. He says that Japan is atheist, and thus doesn't accept death. Therefore, they believe in researching a cure for aging.

Normally I could care less what someone says when they ramble nonesense, but he also took some personal shots at me as well, so I'm gonna make this my business.

Is Japan atheist? I mean, I know historically they have Shinto and Buddhism. Are they still widely followed? Don't these religions/philosophies have some sort of stance on death?

I'll let someone with more knowledge than myself answer your religion question more fully, but yes, there are Buddhists and Shintos in Japan. I would imagine there are also a fair number of Christians.

Regardless, if your acquaintance thinks that Americans aren't doing research into aging then he needs to get his facts straight.

I dont know much about Shinto, or that much about Buddhism, but I think they do believe in death. First of all, that just sounds odd, that they dont "believe in death". Buddhism's goal is to attain Nirvana before death, or at least live a peaceful life. Shinto is a focus on nature, but also ancestors right? Wouldnt that mean they "believe in death"?

I think the orignial idealist, the Taiwanese guy, was trying to make a point that Japanese culture is more scientific because they are less religious, and in turn, we are more religious than scientific. I don't necessarily disagree with him there, but its obvious he is just an angry person who has trouble properly representing his ideas.

I read an article on aging... about how it was something that the body did not do 'naturally', so to speak.

Rather, it was encoded in our DNA... our body is 'forced' to age by our genetic structure.

I think they've isolated that strand though... the gist of the article was that it is not a matter of 'if', but 'when', with regards to an anti-aging drug.

Hell, maybe it was this book, it's been a while since I read it. Good book though.

0060932902.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Archived