Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warrick Holdman re-signs. Talk about HOLDMAN HERE. (MERGED)

Art

You guys are too hard on people. Holdman is an asset, mostly in pass coverage. He's an above average cover backer who will be a great asset on passing downs. That being said, he struggles to shed blocks and fight through traffic so he probably isn't the option we want (or will use) on 1st and 2nd down. Given that he probably didn't sign for much more than the vet min (if any more at all) I think this is an excellent depth move as Holdman is an excellent nickel package linebacker. Jeez, guys, not every player can be a comlete, every down kind of player. Take a step back from blinding "star" light that seems to catch everyone and realize that this is a good move for us. You can't ever have too much depth or competition :2cents: .

Who let the voice of reason in here?

Geez... this place is really slipping :silly:

You guys are too hard on people. Holdman is an asset, mostly in pass coverage. He's an above average cover backer who will be a great asset on passing downs. That being said, he struggles to shed blocks and fight through traffic so he probably isn't the option we want (or will use) on 1st and 2nd down. Given that he probably didn't sign for much more than the vet min (if any more at all) I think this is an excellent depth move as Holdman is an excellent nickel package linebacker. Jeez, guys, not every player can be a comlete, every down kind of player. Take a step back from blinding "star" light that seems to catch everyone and realize that this is a good move for us. You can't ever have too much depth or competition :2cents: .

The problem is that he was used as a starter last season, and barely contributed...when he was released a lot of fans breathed a sigh of relief. Now, since the position he started at hasn't been filled yet, bringing him back makes fans pray that he's not being brought back to start once more. We're assuming the Skins FO released him because he just is not very good. If so, bringing back a player that you already don't feel was good enough to keep on the roster isn't exactly the type of news people applaud over very easily...lol

NOOO not ETHAN... p.s. holdman sucks
This is a joke right? No Warrick Holdman, NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
Could someone put together a Holdman lowlight video? haha

Wow, some thought provoking comments, guys! ;)

Seriously though, Holdman is good as a reserve LB. I don't understand why people hate him so much. He has weaknesses, they got exposed, but he's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be and he has his positives as well. I don't expect to see him starting but I expect solid contributions from him.

The problem is that he was used as a starter last season, and barely contributed...when he was released a lot of fans breathed a sigh of relief. Now, since the position he started at hasn't been filled yet, bringing him back makes fans pray that he's not being brought back to start once more. We're assuming the Skins FO released him because he just is not very good. If so, bringing back a player that you already don't feel was good enough to keep on the roster isn't exactly the type of news people applaud over very easily...lol

Wait. Did we release Holdman? Or was he a free agent who saw his contract run out who was brought back?

Wait. Did we release Holdman? Or was he a free agent who saw his contract run out who was brought back?

Was he on a one-year contract?...If so, my thoughts still remain. I sincerely doubt Holdman was high on the Skins' list of free agents to keep around...mainly because those FA's who's contracts ran out that the FO wanted to keep on the roster either were indeed signed already, or much was spoken of how they desired to keep the player but they got a better offer somewhere else. Holdman doesn't fit into either of those catagories. Once he left, it was "Bye, see ya"...

I believe he was a free agent after a 1 year deal here.

I think its a good signing for depth. Makes you wonder what direction we go in the 2nd round again. Before this, I was sure it would be the best LB out there. Maybe it still is.

But now, we COULD go the best between CB and LB which we both need somebody down the road. My vote now is for the best DB we can find.

First, we didn't release him, he was on a one year contract. Second, there's a lot more competition this year for him. Third, I'm not saying we should storm the streets and have a parade, I'm just saying it's a good depth signing and people are overreacting with negativity. I mean, come on, it's a week from the draft. Who's left in terms of big impact names to sign? Have we been so spoiled by Dan's spending that we expect a Pro-Bowler every time there's a signing?

All I'm saying is Holdman has value and he won't be on the field unless he proves he's more capable than the AT LEAST five other LBs he'll be competing with. I'm very comfortable with that, besides, there's no reason to be upset considering he won't really take any cap room. That's why I think it was a good move. Now, should we have traded a 7th rounder to the Ravens for Ray Lewis and given him a vet min plus incentives deal instead? Of course.

First, we didn't release him, he was on a one year contract. Second, there's a lot more competition this year for him. Third, I'm not saying we should storm the streets and have a parade, I'm just saying it's a good depth signing and people are overreacting with negativity. I mean, come on, it's a week from the draft. Who's left in terms of big impact names to sign? Have we been so spoiled by Dan's spending that we expect a Pro-Bowler every time there's a signing?

All I'm saying is Holdman has value and he won't be on the field unless he proves he's more capable than the AT LEAST five other LBs he'll be competing with. I'm very comfortable with that, besides, there's no reason to be upset considering he won't really take any cap room. That's why I think it was a good move. Now, should we have traded a 7th rounder to the Ravens for Ray Lewis and given him a vet min plus incentives deal instead? Of course.

Be honest...did you really get the impression that the Skins FO was wanting to keep Holdman, but the competition for his services from other teams was too much?

And for the record, I don't think the groans associated with Holdman re-signing have anything to do with a "Sign nothing but Pro-Bowlers" mentality...I think it has everything to do with seeing him play on the team last season, and being glad he was not retained. Well, until a few hours ago anyway.

Agree on the being hard on the man and what I highlighted, we just played better Defense without him in.

In the Denver and KC games the RB ran right past him because he was more worried about looking at the blocker then the back, but I do hope GW can teach him better awareness.

I definately agree about the depth, at least he is a vet and has the feel for GW's schemes, lets hope he really steps it up and blends in with MW and LM. But I still want a better LB starting :cheers:

Holdman does need to improve. I'll break the ice and mention LaVar. LaVar could do things Holdman simply can't. No one on our team can. LaVar explodes into people and blows things up in a way we won't see out of Holdman or anyone else on our roster. Therefore, Holdman has to be ULTRA professional and precise and do EXACTLY what's asked of him. He has to hold down the spot like Marshall did two years ago, which should be reasonably within reach. Holdman has been a high quality player. He probably has enough to prove to be of value to us, especially as depth and perhaps even as a quality starter energized for another year or two by a relatively poor season.

We weren't going to do anything dramatic at this spot because our defense doesn't need a dynamic player at the weakside backer to be good, as we saw really most of the last two years. Besides, we're saving our available cash for the big move into the first round of the draft :).

Be honest...did you really get the impression that the Skins FO was wanting to keep Holdman, but the competition for his services from other teams was too much?

Of course not. How many vet min players are there in that situation? The point is, every roster has to have low priced players who can contribute and he's one of them. Look, I'm not even saying he'll make the final roster. All I'm saying is, he has viable skills, he add depth and competition at an unsettled roster spot so there's no reason for everyone to be screaming "NOOOOOOOOO, not Holdman!" Overall, I have faith that if they signed him, the coaching staff had a legitimate reason. Like I said, he might not even make it out of training camp, who knows, but there's no way in hell this signing hurts us in any way.

Holdman does need to improve. I'll break the ice and mention LaVar. LaVar could do things Holdman simply can't. No one on our team can. LaVar explodes into people and blows things up in a way we won't see out of Holdman or anyone else on our roster. Therefore, Holdman has to be ULTRA professional and precise and do EXACTLY what's asked of him. He has to hold down the spot like Marshall did two years ago, which should be reasonably within reach. Holdman has been a high quality player. He probably has enough to prove to be of value to us, especially as depth and perhaps even as a quality starter energized for another year or two by a relatively poor season.

We weren't going to do anything dramatic at this spot because our defense doesn't need a dynamic player at the weakside backer to be good, as we saw really most of the last two years. Besides, we're saving our available cash for the big move into the first round of the draft :).

Art, so are you on record with saying we are going to trade up in the draft? :)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. The world didn't just end because we re-signed Holdman, contrary to popular belief :D

Who was our starting LB in 04 when LA was out and we had the #3 D in the NFL? Im not sure if we rotated LM or if Clemons was starting the outside linebacker that year.

Besides, we're saving our available cash for the big move into the first round of the draft :).

:applause: Eveyone better pay attention to the 1st day of the draft. If you thought Gibbs put a smile on your face the second the CBA deal was done, wait for his Draft day magic act. Do not sleep on the Redskins FO! :)

Whos was our starting LB in 04 when LA was out and we had the #3 D in the NFL? Im not sure if we rotated LM or if Clemons was starting the outside linebacker that year.

All Marshall, all the time. And he was VERY, VERY, VERY pedestrian when it comes to stats. He just did his job.

Archived