Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warrick Holdman re-signs. Talk about HOLDMAN HERE. (MERGED)

Art

Whos was our starting LB in 04 when LA was out and we had the #3 D in the NFL? Im not sure if we rotated LM or if Clemons was starting the outside linebacker that year.

Marshall was. Clemons was signed of Cincy's practice squad mid season and played as a situational pass rusher down the stretch that year.

:applause: Eveyone better pay attention to the 1st day of the draft. If you thought Gibbs put a smile on your face the second the CBA deal was done, wait for his Draft day magic act. Do not sleep on the Redskins FO! :)

I'm wary of us trading our first rounder in 2007...I hope we don't have to do that to get into the first round.

All Marshall, all the time. And he was VERY, VERY, VERY pedestrian when it comes to stats. He just did his job.

As powerful as our D-line is and as much of a playmaker as MW is, that's all we need from the WLB. I still expect us to go CB or DT in the 2nd (or wherever we up to) and maybe get LBs later. I believe our starting WLB is already on the roster thought which one is obviously still up in the air.

Uuugghhh. I hope W. Holdman steps up his game. He looked like he was waiting on every play, unsure of where to go until everyone came his way, and then usually someone else made the tackle after he got pushed around or someone went outside while he watched. I hope they didn't spend much cause I sure didn't see him making plays. Prove me wrong W.H.!!!

As powerful as our D-line is and as much of a playmaker as MW is, that's all we need from the WLB. I still expect us to go CB or DT in the 2nd (or wherever we up to) and maybe get LBs later. I believe our starting WLB is already on the roster thought which one is obviously still up in the air.

What about OL? If any of our starters get hurt...we are SOL with Pucillo, Walter, and Molinaro

We weren't going to do anything dramatic at this spot because our defense doesn't need a dynamic player at the weakside backer to be good, as we saw really most of the last two years. Besides, we're saving our available cash for the big move into the first round of the draft :).

Couldn't have said it better. WLB is very far down the list (perhaps the farthest) of positions we need great production from to be a good. But as Bill Waslh used to say, you can't hide a weakness on defense.

Bottom Line: We just need someone to do their job there. We need the person who wins that job to just be "Ryan Clark" instead of Derrick Brooks or Junior Seau.

What about OL? If any of our starters get hurt...we are SOL with Pucillo, Walter, and Molinaro

Well, I'll be honest, I know precisely jack **** about the guys we signed in FA. However, Buges has always been able to turn low round lineman into solid performers. Our starters are set, I expect us to look for depth later in the draft. It's harder to find low round CBs than OL and, IMHO, CB is our most suspect position right now. We need depth and speed there desparately. Also, the fact that we keep bringing in corner after corner for draft interviews makes me think the coaching staff is planning on going that direction. Especially since everyone we brought in is a 1st or early 2nd round guy.

Good opinion Riggo, I really think coach Gibbs is going to finish filling the few weaknesses we had last year and the O line being one he did mention this offseason.

I couldnt see him leaving us short handed there especialy wanting the QB to have max protection, thats always been Gibbs 1st thing on offense

:cheers:

Well, I'll be honest, I know precisely jack **** about the guys we signed in FA. However, Buges has always been able to turn low round lineman into solid performers. Our starters are set, I expect us to look for depth later in the draft. It's harder to find low round CBs than OL and, IMHO, CB is our most suspect position right now. We need depth and speed there desparately. Also, the fact that we keep bringing in corner after corner for draft interviews makes me think the coaching staff is planning on going that direction. Especially since everyone we brought in is a 1st or early 2nd round guy.

Really? We have three good to excellent corners: Springs, Rogers, and now Kenny Wright from Jacksonville

If hes here as an insurance player, then i think we are ok. Hopefully they will offer up the job in training camp (as per the Clemons article on the official site) and the best player will get it. If that player isnt Holdman (hope not) and does struggle or God forbid gets injured, we still have a vet who has played a year in the system to come back and take his place.

Really? We have three good to excellent corners: Springs, Rogers, and now Kenny Wright from Jacksonville

Well, Kenny Wright is not exactly a speedster, a lot of teams like to go 4 and 5 wide and what happens if there's one injury? CB is a frail position (springs, rogers and harris all missed games last year to injury) Springs is getting old. I'd like to see us draft a guy with a lot of speed to man the #4 spot (and push Jimoh to 5, or vice versa, rookie at 5 jimoh at 4) and learn from Springs. I don't think 4 CBs is enough on the roster and right now, one extended injury at that position will hurt us probably more than at any other position.

Guest SylkeSmove
We are trading Ethan Albright and a 6th round pick to the Texans for the #1 pick. ;)

Yeah right...no team is that stupid. Hell Madden wouldnt even let that fly.

I would have to agree DC, if GW didnt think he had that spot filled then he would force the issue to Gibbs. We did had some good college LB come in to Redskins Park recently, would be nice to add one to the group we have.

All I have to say about the move is last year at this time I wanted Mark Brunell's head on a spike. The year before that it was Ade Jimoh. I'm very happy that I'm not making the personnel decisions for the Skins. If Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams and Vinny Cerrato want him back, I'm on-board.

It's his second year in the system and without Mount Lavar looming over his shoulders.

All Marshall, all the time. And he was VERY, VERY, VERY pedestrian when it comes to stats. He just did his job.

I haven't been a member on this board for a long time, but I'm willing to bet that when marshall was playing and just doing his job filling in people were down on him. He didn't put up huge numbers and he didn't make a ton of plays; He simply did his job. I never would have thought that Lemar would have played so well for us this past season based on that. I think it's safe to say that the moves made by this coaching staff are well thought out. Therefore if they think that by re-signing Holdman our defense will be better then you can be sure that it's true. Holdman may have a break out season much like Pierce, much like Lemar, etc.

I haven't been a member on this board for a long time, but I'm willing to bet that when marshall was playing and just doing his job filling in people were down on him. He didn't put up huge numbers and he didn't make a ton of plays; He simply did his job. I never would have thought that Lemar would have played so well for us this past season based on that. I think it's safe to say that the moves made by this coaching staff are well thought out. Therefore if they think that by re-signing Holdman our defense will be better then you can be sure that it's true. Holdman may have a break out season much like Pierce, much like Lemar, etc.

As horrid as the offense was that year, and as surprisingly good as the defense was playing, I hardly doubt anyone was focusing on Marshall's play and any perceived deficiencies.

All I have to say about the move is last year at this time I wanted Mark Brunell's head on a spike. The year before that it was Ade Jimoh. I'm very happy that I'm not making the personnel decisions for the Skins. If Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams and Vinny Cerrato want him back, I'm on-board.

It's his second year in the system and without Mount Lavar looming over his shoulders.

You hit the nail right on the head, hope he shows us why the coaches believe in him because he does have alot to prove, but like you said so did Brunell and he looked pretty good when he had a healthy offense and recievers.

Archived