Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Czabe hits nail on the head......

jwebst1

Damn straight.... There is NO substitute for being at the game. IMO anybody who says they have just as much fun, "watching the game at home on a big-screen" just doesn't get it. They might as well give up their tickets and stay at home......

At this point in my life, I'd much rather watch the games at home. Maybe every other year, someone can talk me into actually going to that fortress. But the experience is always more exhausting than fun.

At this point in my life' date=' I'd much rather watch the games at home. Maybe every other year, someone can talk me into actually going to that fortress. But the experience is always more exhausting than fun.[/quote']

LOL!! C'mon....I'm 10 years older than you! ;) Come hang with us, for a few games, and I guarantee that we'll have you singing a different tune!

LOL!! C'mon....I'm 10 years older than you! ;) Come hang with us, for a few games, and I guarantee that we'll have you singing a different tune!

You got that right! I'm the same age as you and I have a blast at the games. I get to the stadium a little before 9 and leave the stadium about 5:30 or 6 for a 1pm game. I make a whole day out of it. Great tailgating in the am then after the game someone usually has a directv hookup, watch a little of that and talk about the game with my tailgating buddies. Personally I just love it. I have the big screen HD at home so could be watching there, but I'd never give up game day if I have a choice.

No, I drive. Just cut through the district, don't take 495, its so much faster. A little more complicated, but so much faster.

I take this way as well and there is no traffic but you still have to sit in traffic for a hour getting out of the parking lot. Unless you have patience like me and just tailgate another couple of hours afterwards :cheers:

Eventually' date=' this concept could filter down to the entire fan base. Why spend $1800.00 in March when I can spend $1000 in September and go to just the games I want...in better seats.[/quote']

It is basically what I do. Really, seeing 2-3 games at the stadium is enough for me.

Course, with that method, you are depending on the variable of where you are going to sit, and you don't get a chance to develop relationships with the fellow season ticket holders around you. Course, that isn't very important to most.

I take this way as well and there is no traffic but you still have to sit in traffic for a hour getting out of the parking lot. Unless you have patience like me and just tailgate another couple of hours afterwards :cheers:

When I went to the SD game, the guys I carpooled with showed me the DC route. We were in Herndon in an hour.

Jason

You don't have to hit much traffic at all if you a) know the right way to get there (back roads, not the beltway), B) arrive early to tailgate and by doing so you can get in good position to get out quick.

I live in PA and there have been many games when I have pulled into my driveway literally less than 1 1/2 hours from hearing the final "Hail to the Redskins", and I NEVER leave before the game is over.

I can't understand anyone thinking sitting at home is better - what could be better than cheering as loud as you can on 3rd down for defense, or watching Clinton Portis run your way for a TD, or hearing the roar from the crowd after a bomb to Santana Moss?

I've been going to games since I was little, 10 years old, at RFK. Sure I liked the old stadium better, but FedEx is getting pretty awesome as well lately.

I wait till the stadium clears out before I leave, but with weekend traffic plus the stadium 495 stinks! I know there must be a good way to get 295 from the stadium then shoot back out to 495 right before the bridge. Anybody ever go that way? Is it better?

Czabe's point is: At 92' date='000 seats, there is no reason to buy an 8-game ticket package. Most fans probably only want to go to - at most - 3 games a year, cosidering the nightmare that is traffic and parking. You can get those 3 tickets pretty easily on your own. There is no shortage like at RFK.

Eventually, this concept could filter down to the entire fan base. Why spend $1800.00 in March when I can spend $1000 in September and go to just the games I want...in better seats.[/quote']

At this point in my life' date=' I'd much rather watch the games at home. Maybe every other year, someone can talk me into actually going to that fortress. But the experience is always more exhausting than fun.[/quote']

Ditto that. I enjoy the gameday experience but 2-3 times a season is plenty for me. That is, if I still lived in the area:(

To me RFK was the "Wrigley field" of football....they should have never torn that place down.....man I miss that stadium. :(

*EDIT*

See above

As far as the ticket prices go, I'll only be going to 2-3 games a year (if I'm lucky) so the prices don't really bother me much

I wait till the stadium clears out before I leave, but with weekend traffic plus the stadium 495 stinks! I know there must be a good way to get 295 from the stadium then shoot back out to 495 right before the bridge. Anybody ever go that way? Is it better?

You don't want to do that. The big bottleneck in the southern route IS the bridge (especially with the construction). What you want to do is eventually get to 395. I think the way we went was south to Penn Ave, and then cut across to 395.

Jason

Before you guys put too much credence into was Steve Czaben says keep in mind that he brags about not having stayed until the end of any game (in any sport) for something like 10 years. Andy Pollin regularly rags on him about it. He went to a Maryland basketball game a couple of years ago and it was a great game that went into OT and all he could talk about was how happy he was that he left with 5 minutes left in the game to beat the traffic.

If you think he speaks for you I think you need to rethink your position. A Redskins game is not about the beltway. It's about your experience before the game in the parking lot, the game and your experience after the game in the parking lot. It's about sitting on the edge of your seat before each play. It's standing and screaming. It's mocking Terry Glenn. It's about high-fiving a guy you have never seen before and probably won't ever see again on the way back to your car. It's about the beer. It's about the sausage. It's about the Jack. It's about the impromtu game of touch dodging cars.

If you approach a Skins game like you are going to the movies then maybe it's not for you. A Skins game is an all day experience 8+ times a year that you can hardly stand waiting a week or more for in between. September can't get here fast enough.

My family has had season tix since 1971. 3/4 of the family will not be attending the majority of games this year due to the high cost. I remember $11 a seat. In fact, I think they were $8 ea. our first year. :mad:

In 1971 you could buy a house in NOVA for 35 to 50 thousand dollars. You cant get a port-a-john up there for that now. I flip burgers while i am finishing school and between that job and my financial aid I could afford tickets. I make less money than probably everyone on this board and am seriously contemplating making a run at season tickets...So give us a break folks. You get what you pay for. Plus FedEx (especially club level) is a great stadium, though it doesent have the history of RFK...Yet. Or bouncing bleachers which does suck.

they didnt tear down RFK the Nationals playb there as well and DC UNited

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I live in Iowa...that's great to hear. I wish the skins would move back there. The nationals can have fedex....Not that fedex is a bad statium but there was just something about RFK that will always be Redskins to me.

To me RFK was the "Wrigley field" of football....they should have never torn that place down.....man I miss that stadium. :(

Others have corrected you, but also, I think people's memories of that place was overly rosy. I went to a Nats game there last year, and it is really a mess getting around in RFK, having to squeeze around other people trying to get refreshments so that you can get to your seat. I know how bad Fed Ex gets, and I couldn't imagine managing that kind of crowd in the space of RFK.

FedEx has its faults, but so does RFK.

Jason

Before you guys put too much credence into was Steve Czaben says keep in mind that he brags about not having stayed until the end of any game (in any sport) for something like 10 years. Andy Pollin regularly rags on him about it. He went to a Maryland basketball game a couple of years ago and it was a great game that went into OT and all he could talk about was how happy he was that he left with 5 minutes left in the game to beat the traffic.

If you think he speaks for you I think you need to rethink your position. A Redskins game is not about the beltway. It's about your experience before the game in the parking lot, the game and your experience after the game in the parking lot. It's about sitting on the edge of your seat before each play. It's standing and screaming. It's mocking Terry Glenn. It's about high-fiving a guy you have never seen before and probably won't ever see again on the way back to your car. It's about the beer. It's about the sausage. It's about the Jack. It's about the impromtu game of touch dodging cars.

If you approach a Skins game like you are going to the movies then maybe it's not for you. A Skins game is an all day experience 8+ times a year that you can hardly stand waiting a week or more for in between. September can't get here fast enough.

:point2sky What he said (and the way he said it!)

Others have corrected you, but also, I think people's memories of that place was overly rosy. I went to a Nats game there last year, and it is really a mess getting around in RFK, having to squeeze around other people trying to get refreshments so that you can get to your seat. I know how bad Fed Ex gets, and I couldn't imagine managing that kind of crowd in the space of RFK.

FedEx has its faults, but so does RFK.

Jason

Not to mention Dan wouldn't be as willing to come out of pocket to get around the cap. RFK was one of the smallest NFL stadiums. I like FedEx but the game experience in the stadium at RFK was second to none.

My problem with FedEx has nothing to do with RFK. I find that the nostalgia for old stadiums has more to do with a) nostalgia in general since people always want to believe that life was better in the not so distant past and B) the teams that played there.

Face it, if the Norv-Spurrier years had occurred in RFK, we would not be longing for it.

My problem with FedEx is that I've gone to Ravens' games and been from the gate to my front door in NOVA faster than I have been from FedEx to my front door in NOVA. And this is to go to a much nicer stadium with much better food.

FedEx is "TOO" everything. Too big by at least 20 percent. Too hard to get to. Too cheaply built. I don't long for RFK; I long for the Linc or Heinz Field.

A Redskins game is not about the beltway. It's about your experience before the game in the parking lot, the game and your experience after the game in the parking lot. It's about sitting on the edge of your seat before each play. It's standing and screaming. It's mocking Terry Glenn. It's about high-fiving a guy you have never seen before and probably won't ever see again on the way back to your car. It's about the beer. It's about the sausage. It's about the Jack. It's about the impromtu game of touch dodging cars.

It seems to me going to a Skins game should be approached the same as attending a NASCAR race. You get out there before 9 am for a 7 pm race, interact with other fans (even the ones who don't like your driver or team); eat, drink and enjoy a day of fun culminating in the experience of the race or game (whichever the case may be). Getting out of the parking lot takes another 3-4 hours, but nobody cares because it's been FUN AND EXCITING, especially when your driver or your team WINS. And in the case of football, the Skins have a 50-50 chance, in NASCAR your driver has a 1 in 43 chance of winning all the marbles. Just can't get any better than that IMO. :2cents: HTTR and Gibbs Racing!

FedEx is "TOO" everything. Too big by at least 20 percent. Too hard to get to. Too cheaply built. I don't long for RFK; I long for the Linc or Heinz Field.

That's what you get when you design a stadium in 1984 and it takes 10 years to get it built but you don't update your blueprints when the approval finally comes.

I do agree with you about the nostalgia for football stadiums. Baseball Parks have real personality but a football field is a football field. I will say that the one thing I think RFK really had was it held the noise in like nobody's business. I had forgotten how much louder it was until I went to the Nats home opener last year.

The quickest way is to cut through DC and take 395. Even if you do get to 295 the heck with the beltway hop on 395.

Archived