Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Free Agent Adams, Redskins Meet

bubba9497

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/07/AR2006040701698.html

click link for full article

Free Agent Adams, Redskins Meet

Saturday, April 8, 2006; Page E02

Free agent linebacker Keith Adams visited Redskins Park yesterday, according to his agent, Jordan Woy , and will decide between Washington and four other teams by next week. Woy has had several conversations with Redskins officials over the last few weeks as the team searches for a weak-side linebacker to replace former Pro Bowler LaVar Arrington .

Adams, 26, was drafted in the seventh round by Tennessee in 2001, and spent the early part of his career primarily as a special teams player. He has played the past three seasons with Philadelphia, and, after filling for and eventually supplanting injured regular Mark Simoneau in 2004, started all 16 games for the Eagles last season at weak-side linebacker, logging 69 tackles and one forced fumble.

The fact that this rumor keeps resurecting itself leads me to believe it might happen soon. I would bet that Adams' agent is using those other four teams as leverage but the skins haven't bit. You know Adams wants to come here so he can play against the Feables twice a year. Compromises will be made and this deal will get done, IMO. The real question is, Is he of any value. We already seem to have a lot of good STers and this guy is very north-south. Of course, GW is a genius and Adams is only 26 so he can be learned how to be a backer. If we get him we are going CB with our 2nd round pick which might have been the plan all along.

Well the fact that he article says he's going to decide next week means he could be signed this weekend. ;) Seems like a young player beginning to hit his stride. Could be a could pick up if this works out.

Cool. Now back to discussing important things like fonts. :silly:

could someone grab the Scouts Inc. write-up on Adams?

Adams is an undersize OLB who plays a lot bigger than his size. He has exceptional athletic ability, quickness and change of direction skills. He is a downhill linebacker who has a great motor and has the speed to make plays from sideline to sideline. He has improved his ability to hold up at the point of attack vs the run. He was physical against the isolation plays and did a good job stuffing blockers when teams ran at him. He takes good angles to the ball and did a good job of slipping blocks and avoiding the traffic. He has good football instincts and recognition skills. He is a very good player in space, has excellent range and is around the ball. He has the speed and quickness to cover the elite running back out of the backfield man-to-man. He gets good depth on his zone drops. He is an excellent special team's player who throws his body around and plays with reckless abandon on the cover teams. The only problem with Adams is his lack of bulk. If he does not beat the blocker, he'll get overpower at the point of attack and get engulfed by bigger offensive lineman. He sometimes doesn't play under control and will over run plays. Overall, Adams is a young player who has a lot of experience for his age. He has elevated his game to be an adequate starter. He has improved his overall cover skills and has become a more physical player in the run game. He is a good football player with a lot of upside. He is the type of player that you are glad is on your team.

If we can get Keith Adams... I say... SIGN HIM!!! He'd be a great add to our roster and solve our needs as far as starters!!!

Then trade down... in the draft!!! pick up some lower round picks! Maybe a couple more fifth round picks:D

Speed and athleticsm, sound likes a good fit for the weak side LB in GW system

He won't be a star, but we don't need stars there at all. Someone who is adequete and will make tackles at the point of attack is fine

What is real key. He has good football instincts. Sounds like the scouting report on Antonio Pierce his first few years in the NFL

If we can get Keith Adams... I say... SIGN HIM!!! He'd be a great add to our roster and solve our needs as far as starters!!!

Then trade down... in the draft!!! pick up some lower round picks! Maybe a couple more fifth round picks:D

love the sig Tazhog
icon12.gif

If we sign Adams, IMO we could go either Offensive line depth, corner or even DT depth in round two. But it really wouldn't surprise me at this point if the Redskins just take the best available player regardless of position.

If we sign Adams, IMO we could go either Offensive line depth, corner or even DT depth in round two. But it really wouldn't surprise me at this point if the Redskins just take the best available player regardless of position.

that's usually what we do. hopefully, the BPA and our needs matchup.

Keith Adams isn't the answer as a starting linebacker, mainly because he isn't a playmaker. He's never made a sack or made an interception in his entire career. However, Warrick Holdman at this stage of his career doesn't make any plays either.

But Adams is a 26-year old special teams demon which will upgrade that unit even further, who is known as "the bullet" because of his speed and intensity and throwing his body around. And he also provides some starting experience at linebacker in case of injuries, whereas Warrick Holdman doesn't play special teams and is 31 years old.

So Adams would definitely be an asset, especially if he signs for the minimum as did CB Kenny Wright. :D

If the money is the same, my bet is that Adams signs with the Redskins. In fact someone on this website who met him a few months ago, said that his first choice as a free agent was the Redskins.

it seems like adams is a nice player. i'd like to see the skins sign him, at least so that we can have depth at LB. i think we have the starters we need, but we definitely need depth and he would help with that. i like the idea of getting a CB in the second round too, train him now so that when it's time for springs to leave we'll have someone ready.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see us snag Pope, if he is available at #53 w/our pick in the 2nd. Then I could see us trade our 2nd next year along with one of our 6th round picks this year for a 3rd rounder this year and select a DT like R. Wright of Texas, if he falls that far or even J. Lewis of VA Tech. Whatever picks we make I believe that we will end up with a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and the picks will be OF and DF picks.

Archived