Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Free Agent Adams, Redskins Meet

bubba9497

Well take this for what its worth lol...I just got done talking to my friends they are diehard eagles fans...they said he plays with a TON of heart, and hasn't had much starting experience meaning he has a bunch of upside. They said he could easily win a starting spot, because he has worked his way up in the NFL his whole career. He sounds like a Clark type player who GW could turn good

:doh:did we not learn with rod gardner:doh: no clemson crap on my Skins PLease

Just because Gardner wasn't what we wanted him to be doesn't mean every other player from Clemson is crap. That's just... well I'm probably not supposed to imply that you're view is lacking any intelligence what so ever so I'll just say... :rolleyes:

The failure with Trotter was of arrogant, stupid coaching, not in the talents of the players. We had a group then who believed the player should fit the system, no matter what, instead of fitting the system to the player.

It could also be a failure in the personnel staff, in getting a guy for Lewis that didn't fit the system.

If we draft a corner to be our #3, they could easily start opening day.

The #3 corner is not a "starting" position. Typically, the #1 and #2 corners play the whole game. #3 does not.

Jason

Interior D line, O line, Saftey, Corner. Really need a starting caliber WLB, or Middle depending on where Marshall is put since he can play either.

i think o line we are ok, we have no backup tackles i believe. both the guys we signed a couple weeks back are interior o lineman. that dude with the african name is also a guard. we could use a backup tackle in case jansen has another freak injury

Not really, no.

We signed Carter, who can do some flex linebacker play if we wanted. But, having Carter allows Clemons to be used more as a stand up backer than he has been. Clemons essentially was a defensive lineman for us who now essentially becomes more a true backer type. I'm not saying we know he's an answer, but, we probably aren't filling two spots here. I could see Adams taking Campbell's spot and then bringing another in though.

That is true. I sort of hope it is since I'd like to see us draft a lineman (offensive or defensive) with the 2nd rounder as opposed to a LB or DB.

It could also be a failure in the personnel staff, in getting a guy for Lewis that didn't fit the system.

Jason

Except it wasn't. Lewis knew what Trotter was and was convinced he could make him something else, instead of letting him be who he was. You don't send a bowling ball sideways and expect it to be anything other than a gutter. Lewis drove the signing of Trotter and did with him something that assured he wouldn't be as much of an impact as he could have been, used by a more adaptable coordinator.

Except it wasn't. Lewis knew what Trotter was and was convinced he could make him something else, instead of letting him be who he was. You don't send a bowling ball sideways and expect it to be anything other than a gutter. Lewis drove the signing of Trotter and did with him something that assured he wouldn't be as much of an impact as he could have been, used by a more adaptable coordinator.

Decided to go back and see what the truth of the matter was. I think you are right, it does sound like Lewis wanted him, being very active in recruiting him. I also saw some positive word from Lewis on him going into the first Eagles game in 2002. Course, we all thought it was a great aquisition at the time.

Course, that's always the danger of aquiring players, especially for that kind of money. You could be wrong about a player and he doesn't do what you expect of him. It is why I am not enamored about the big names in FA, because likely you are going to overpay for them, and if you are just signing them because they are the big name in FA, you got a 50% that it isn't going to work out.

Jason

Decided to go back and see what the truth of the matter was. I think you are right, it does sound like Lewis wanted him, being very active in recruiting him. I also saw some positive word from Lewis on him going into the first Eagles game in 2002. Course, we all thought it was a great aquisition at the time.

Course, that's always the danger of aquiring players, especially for that kind of money. You could be wrong about a player and he doesn't do what you expect of him. It is why I am not enamored about the big names in FA, because likely you are going to overpay for them, and if you are just signing them because they are the big name in FA, you got a 50% that it isn't going to work out.

Jason

Trotter was a multiple Pro Bowl player signed for $7 million in guaranteed money. That wasn't a ton then or now. In any case, the problem wasn't that he didn't give you what you expected because he wasn't allowed to. Worse, Lewis to this day would tell you given time in the system, he'd have made Trotter what he wanted him to be. Maybe so, but, my biggest problem with Lewis ALWAYS was he knew he had a system that took years to develop and acquire personnel for yet he didn't shrink it down any to adapt for the fact he KNEW he wasn't going to be here very long.

Trotter was a multiple Pro Bowl player signed for $7 million in guaranteed money. That wasn't a ton then or now.

Well, it is if you release the guy after two years. :silly:

In any case, the problem wasn't that he didn't give you what you expected because he wasn't allowed to.

Huh? What is that supposed to mean? He was expected to pick up Lewis' system. Maybe what you mean is that we didn't get what we paid for because we didn't use him correctly.

Worse, Lewis to this day would tell you given time in the system, he'd have made Trotter what he wanted him to be. Maybe so, but, my biggest problem with Lewis ALWAYS was he knew he had a system that took years to develop and acquire personnel for yet he didn't shrink it down any to adapt for the fact he KNEW he wasn't going to be here very long.

Well, he may have known, and he may not have known. Really, you don't know what will be available from year to year. Course, working with Spurrier a year might have made the decision easier. Had he been on a team that was felt to be on the way up, maybe he would have stuck a little longer.

I do think, tho, that it was a mistake on Snyder's part to pick a guy who was itching to go to the next level, and almost got that job in Tampa before he got the rug pulled out of him. With his leaving, the revolving door at D-coordinator was up to three at that point, which was one of the reasons why Champ wanted out of town, and probably didn't help Lavar in his development any. Gibbs seems to have handled this better, getting a guy who had already had the big job, and convincing Snyder that locking up coaches is a good idea.

Jason

Nic Clemons is a DE.

Adams would start right now because there is no competition on the outside.

I would still think the Redskins would draft a young linebacker if the the team signs Adams.

Remember also that we are putting Andre Carter at 262 out there at DE in place of Renaldo Wynn (290) at spots. That is going to increase our rush ability but make us more vulnerable to the run.

Adams is another smallish guy that has had his problems holding up at the point of attack vs. the run.

It is interesting that the Eagles weren't interested in bringing Adams back. Instead they opted for Shawn Barber, who really has done anything in 2 years.

Clemons has more potential than Adams. I'd rather see us stick with what we have got or wait until June 1st to see if any quality players come out then. I have heard only bad things about Adams from Eagles fans. I'd rather have the job go to Clemons/Sykes/2nd round pick.

of course, Eagles fans cursed Shawn Barber on the way out in 2004 and now they are welcoming him back as if he is the savior :laugh:

The funny thing is that he was good when he left and has now sustained two serious knee injuries and is older. :eaglesuck

Adams would start right now because there is no competition on the outside.

What do you mean? Plenty of competition.

2 years of experience in Williams' D: Clemons, Campbell

1 year of experience in Williams' D: McCune

Former starter with better measurables: Sykes

Unless we sign a guy who is head and shoulders better than what we have, there is certainly competition.

Jason

Add KeIth Adams (LB) to the mix along with Carter (DE), and Wright (CB) and you have the Skins acquiring veterans via FA to meet virtually all immediate needs. This tells me the Skins definitely will trade up to acquire an impact OFFENSIVE Player in the draft either Lendale White of Dominique Byrd. I guarantee it.

Add KeIth Adams (LB) to the mix along with Carter (DE), and Wright (CB) and you have the Skins acquiring veterans via FA to meet virtually all immediate needs. This tells me the Skins definitely will trade up to acquire an impact OFFENSIVE Player in the draft either Lendale White of Dominique Byrd. I guarantee it.

And I can guarantee we will not trade up in the draft...there is no need for giving up picks for a back up HB or TE, it makes no sense. If we traded up and did not select the best LB available we would look like idiots.

Archived