Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I'm not sure i like the Fauria pickup, in hindsight...

rvan1

Fauria is the blocking tight end at the point of attack this team has been missing. Robert Royal was a tweener, an average blocker with average at best hands.

Fauria knows how to contribute toward a winning situation and isn't looking for notoriety.

His pickup to me is a lot like the ones that Gibbs made for Ron Middleton and Mike Tice back in the 1980's and early 1990's at TE.

My first choice was Dan Campbell. He is several years younger and is a good blocker as well. But he signed elsewhere.

I think your right on target.The guy I was thinking about was Donnie Warren, ..He's big, got good hands, probably catch a few TDs and definitley flatten some people at the point of attack.I dont see him taking any real time away from Cooley though.

I do think that there is the slight possiblity of not being enough footballs on offense to keep everyone happy. Particulary in December when we are running the ball 35 times a game.

I also think that someone unexpected is bound to get cut during training camp. My early bets are Betts (ha!)' date=' Sellars, or Patten.[/quote']

sellers wont get cut...betts yes...patten ify, id have to say thrash.

Seeing the "updated" depth chart got me thinking--- now that Fauria is here, are the Redskins gonna use him in place of cooley?

Saunders' offense is very TE friendly. If you heard the interview with Robert Johnson, he couldn't be more excited.

Plus, we LOST Robert Royal. If Fauria only saw that much action and improved our chances around the goal-line in multiple TE sets, well, 'Nuff said.

Remember too what Joe said when we signed Campbell and Rogers: "Maybe we just like winners."

I think Gibbsy just wants somebody around to tell our rooks what it's like to win 3 Super Bowls... :laugh:

Never doubt the maestro.

If our play calling breakdown from last year remains the same, successful execution of all called pass plays and the loss of Royal create an opportunity for about 50 new catches this year. Last season, we completed just under 58% of our pass plays, bump this up and we'll have about 60 new catches. We averaged about 67 snaps per game last year of them almost 33 were running plays.

Seeing the "updated" depth chart got me thinking--- now that Fauria is here, are the Redskins gonna use him in place of cooley? lets be honest, Sellers is the redskins fullback, and it looks like fauria will be the starting TE... with the receivers they have, its unlikely that the redskins will implement too many packages using a fb, hb, and te on one play. so as it seems, either cooley or sellers will be the odd man out. and then where does that put rock? in summary, the problem im seeing is that we're giving a much bigger role to the TE, which would be fine, except for the fact that its going to take time away from Cooley, Sellers, or Randle El.

last season, it seemed to be

Cooley (lining up at H-Back or TE) + Sellers (FB) and then maybe robert royal or rock cartwright

this season, we have

Fauria and Sellers (or Rock) and then maybe Chris Cooley???

dont get me wrong, whoever can get the job done is who i want in there, but i really think thought that the chemistry developed between sellers/cooley, with a dash of royal now and again really worked well. will 2006 be fauria and sellers with a dash of cooley? fauria and cooley with a dash of sellers? i think breaking apart what we had going for us may be a mistake. your take?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh i believe in football termino,ogy its called "multiple packages" they do this thing where they shuttle players in and out between every play...kinda like a planned thing where different personelle come in to throw the defence off so they cant keep up with the offence. :doh:

Fauria is the blocking tight end at the point of attack this team has been missing. Robert Royal was a tweener, an average blocker with average at best hands.

Fauria knows how to contribute toward a winning situation and isn't looking for notoriety.

His pickup to me is a lot like the ones that Gibbs made for Ron Middleton and Mike Tice back in the 1980's and early 1990's at TE.

Bulldog - that is what I thought also. Joe knows TE's.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Seeing the "updated" depth chart got me thinking--- now that Fauria is here, are the Redskins gonna use him in place of cooley? lets be honest, Sellers is the redskins fullback, and it looks like fauria will be the starting TE... with the receivers they have, its unlikely that the redskins will implement too many packages using a fb, hb, and te on one play. so as it seems, either cooley or sellers will be the odd man out. and then where does that put rock? in summary, the problem im seeing is that we're giving a much bigger role to the TE, which would be fine, except for the fact that its going to take time away from Cooley, Sellers, or Randle El.

last season, it seemed to be

Cooley (lining up at H-Back or TE) + Sellers (FB) and then maybe robert royal or rock cartwright

this season, we have

Fauria and Sellers (or Rock) and then maybe Chris Cooley???

dont get me wrong, whoever can get the job done is who i want in there, but i really think thought that the chemistry developed between sellers/cooley, with a dash of royal now and again really worked well. will 2006 be fauria and sellers with a dash of cooley? fauria and cooley with a dash of sellers? i think breaking apart what we had going for us may be a mistake. your take?

:doh:

Fauria was brought in to be the starting TE, taking Robert Royal's position from last season. He will get some looks, but Cooley will still be the main target. Saunders is just tweaking the offense, not totally revamping it. Cooley will be used similarly to Gonzo.

Just out of curiousity, why would you ever think Cooley's job was in jeopardy after the season he had? :doh:

Saunders' offense is very TE friendly. If you heard the interview with Robert Johnson, he couldn't be more excited.

Plus, we LOST Robert Royal. If Fauria only saw that much action and improved our chances around the goal-line in multiple TE sets, well, 'Nuff said.

Remember too what Joe said when we signed Campbell and Rogers: "Maybe we just like winners."

I think Gibbsy just wants somebody around to tell our rooks what it's like to win 3 Super Bowls... :laugh:

Never doubt the maestro.

There's no reason to think him better than Royal. None. Royal has commanded a much better price than Fauria, who also has a history of dropped passes, and has accumulated much better statistics.

Sellers is not a FB, he's an H-Back just like Cooley. We don't have a true FB in our offense.

Cooley's production didn't prohibit Gibbs going to Sellers in the red-zone. Don't worry about Fauria, think of Royal with a bit better blocking and reliable hands.

I think will be key in the jumbo packages. Just imagine what would cross the minds of opposing defenses: "Who do we cover? Cooley? Fauria? Sellers? Or better yet, what if they're all blocking for Portis? But what if any one if not all three of them go out on passing routes and Portis is just a decoy?"

That scenario got me pumped up for next season.

Fauria was signed to replace Royal. Why would Cooley's production drop? I would expect Fauria to have a season similar to Royal's from last year - hopefully he'll provide good downfield blocking and add an additional threat for the offense on occasion.

This post says it all, pretty work. :applause:

He'll be used in blocking situations more than passing downs. There's no way cooleys production will drop. If anything it might make us more potent. Getting a veteran TE in on a 3rd and short can give people fits, especially if he's got hands like Fauria. Let's not forget the man has 3 rings. He's going to bring a lot more to the team than blocking & catching. As someone said earlier, I'd expect to see more of Robert Johnson this year. He's huge! Like 6'7 275lbs. and runs a 4.6 40yd dash (according to Johnson that is). I like his athletic ability and I'm sure Bugel loves his size.

Archived