Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I'm not sure i like the Fauria pickup, in hindsight...

rvan1

Seeing the "updated" depth chart got me thinking--- now that Fauria is here, are the Redskins gonna use him in place of cooley? lets be honest, Sellers is the redskins fullback, and it looks like fauria will be the starting TE... with the receivers they have, its unlikely that the redskins will implement too many packages using a fb, hb, and te on one play. so as it seems, either cooley or sellers will be the odd man out. and then where does that put rock? in summary, the problem im seeing is that we're giving a much bigger role to the TE, which would be fine, except for the fact that its going to take time away from Cooley, Sellers, or Randle El.

last season, it seemed to be

Cooley (lining up at H-Back or TE) + Sellers (FB) and then maybe robert royal or rock cartwright

this season, we have

Fauria and Sellers (or Rock) and then maybe Chris Cooley???

dont get me wrong, whoever can get the job done is who i want in there, but i really think thought that the chemistry developed between sellers/cooley, with a dash of royal now and again really worked well. will 2006 be fauria and sellers with a dash of cooley? fauria and cooley with a dash of sellers? i think breaking apart what we had going for us may be a mistake. your take?

I don't know if that's neccessarily true. Fauria is getting up there in years and hopefully he won't be our starting TE. He still is a pretty good backup and will definately provide some depth at TE. But I guess we'll have to see what happens.

I don't know if that's neccessarily true. Fauria is getting up there in years and hopefully he won't be our starting TE. He still is a pretty good backup and will definately provide some depth at TE. But I guess we'll have to see what happens.

that would be optimal, having a better robert royal type tight end...

Fauria is the blocking tight end at the point of attack this team has been missing. Robert Royal was a tweener, an average blocker with average at best hands.

Fauria knows how to contribute toward a winning situation and isn't looking for notoriety.

His pickup to me is a lot like the ones that Gibbs made for Ron Middleton and Mike Tice back in the 1980's and early 1990's at TE.

My first choice was Dan Campbell. He is several years younger and is a good blocker as well. But he signed elsewhere.

I have to be honest here, even the thought of Fauria replacing Cooley seems bogus to me. Just compare Cooley's last season alone to Fauria's career. The guy has never even had a 400+ yard season. And when looking at how large a role the TE position played in the KC offense with Al Saunders running it, I can't imagine he would ever consider replacing Cooley.

Just think about it for a minute...No.

Cooley is a huge part of this offense. CC plays H-back, CF plays TE.

I am sure that we will see some formations that utilize our playmakers; formations you have not yet seen.

Don't worry about CC losing time to CF. There is no way that will happen. They have different skills and different purposes.

CC will have a great season!

Fauria was signed to replace Royal. Why would Cooley's production drop? I would expect Fauria to have a season similar to Royal's from last year - hopefully he'll provide good downfield blocking and add an additional threat for the offense on occasion.

Fauria is primarly a blocking TE... i think it would be a nice option to put him in with a big set...showing run.. with 1 of our burners in twin wide reciever set.... With Cooley going out and Fauria, in teams might play run more than usual.. this could set up some interested playaction plays deep to either moss, el, or lloyd..

just a thought...

Yea I seriously doubt he take any time away from Chris Cooley. I remember last year I hated seeing Royal in the game. He was so god damn useless! A pass catching TE that DROPS more than half of the passes thrown his way. What good is he for then!? I cant believe the Bills gave him 5 years 10 mil. Man, Marv Levy is too old and losing it! lol.

Just think about it this way...Fauria replaces Royal...period :)

Exactly. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out how these guys fit into Al Saunder's KC offense. If Al Saunder's is as good of a pick up as I think Gibbs is expecting him to be, he is going to simply give new wrinkles to the Gibb's offense already in place. We went too far with it this season to start all over. This team is built for a Gibb's offense and Fauria fits right in to a protypical mold of a Gibb's type TE. Royal never really did.

And if it ever came down to changing the offense to needing a pass catching TE, I have no doubt Cooley will get that nod well before Fauria.

Seeing the "updated" depth chart got me thinking--- now that Fauria is here, are the Redskins gonna use him in place of cooley? lets be honest, Sellers is the redskins fullback, and it looks like fauria will be the starting TE... with the receivers they have, its unlikely that the redskins will implement too many packages using a fb, hb, and te on one play. so as it seems, either cooley or sellers will be the odd man out. and then where does that put rock? in summary, the problem im seeing is that we're giving a much bigger role to the TE, which would be fine, except for the fact that its going to take time away from Cooley, Sellers, or Randle El.

Cooley (lining up at H-Back or TE) + Sellers (FB) and then maybe robert royal or rock cartwright

this season, we have

dont get me wrong, whoever can get the job done is who i want in there, but i really think thought that the chemistry developed between sellers/cooley, with a dash of royal now and again really worked well. will 2006 be fauria and sellers with a dash of cooley? fauria and cooley with a dash of sellers? i think breaking apart what we had going for us may be a mistake. your take?

The day Cooley starts leaving the field for the sake of Fauria will be the day I

follow Ramsey to New York. Not before, however. Sorry.

this season, we have

no mistake at all... he will be a key addition for brunell this year.. why?

he can catch in a crowd and has reliable hands (unlike royal). many of cooleys catches came onthe edges, whereas fauria is adept at running curls

and routes over the middle.

plus he is a very solid blocker.

the best case scenario is that he will remind people of donnie warren. the worst, like james jenkins. but he will be a big assett

i don't get the point of this thread. We got Fauria to replace Robert Royal. Royal was just mainly there to block since he couldnt really catch. Now we replaced him with somebody who can block AND catch. Just think about it this way, whatever Royal did last year is what Fauria is going to do this year, like what ibrahim said.

Archived