Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEW LOST on now.

visionary

Ok, I have more thoughts.

I really think this is a good episode, and the reason why is because it adds an interesting wrinkle in the whole lost universe. I don't think that the entire island exists in Hurley's head, but nothing that ever happens is going to completely discount that as a possibility. So, no matter what happens this "what if it's all just in Hurley's brain?" will continue to come up in the back of your mind.

Ok, I have more thoughts.

I really think this is a good episode, and the reason why is because it adds an interesting wrinkle in the whole lost universe. I don't think that the entire island exists in Hurley's head, but nothing that ever happens is going to completely discount that as a possibility. So, no matter what happens this "what if it's all just in Hurley's brain?" will continue to come up in the back of your mind.

The producers have already said that it is not a dream/not real in a previous podcast.

Maybe, but i doubt it. We met his wife - i just don't remember the story she told.

The crazy guy and his partner heard the numbers @ a listening post in Australia, before Danielle changed the broadcast of the numbers @ the radio tower on the island. Remember, he had "bad luck" with the numbers, too. Won the bean contest with them, then thought he was "cursed" just like Hurley thought he was "cursed".

The producers have already said that it is not a dream/not real in a previous podcast.

Why would you post that sort of thing here without giving a spoiler alert? I know that some people are just trying figure out the ultimate answer to the "What's going on on that island?" question. But some people enjoy just figuring it out slowly as the writers reveal it to us during each weekly episode.

I realize you didn't spoil that much, and it was already known information, but most of us don't listen to the producers Podcast.

Also, I don't understand why the producers would say something like that. They know that a large part of the show's appeal is people debating what's really happening. So, why discourage that by eliminating a whole family of possibilities.

Sorry...I've always gone by Podcasts and such are not spoilers.....it's common knowledge...It's not like I'm posting something from next weeks episode where someone comes on the screen and says "This is not a dream."

Definitely - my wife and were think "Don't trust him, he's the anti-christ!"

He was also the guard in Shawshank.

He was also the main bad guy in the movie Highlander "The Kurgan or Kruger

He was also the sargent guy in Starship Troopers

Why would you post that sort of thing here without giving a spoiler alert? I know that some people are just trying figure out the ultimate answer to the "What's going on on that island?" question. But some people enjoy just figuring it out slowly as the writers reveal it to us during each weekly episode.

I realize you didn't spoil that much, and it was already known information, but most of us don't listen to the producers Podcast.

Also, I don't understand why the producers would say something like that. They know that a large part of the show's appeal is people debating what's really happening. So, why discourage that by eliminating a whole family of possibilities.

Shooting down the dream theory and purgatory theory hasn't caused people to stop speculating and theorizing what is happening. It's only caused more elaborate theories to pop up. Telling the fans that the island is real is not a spoiler. And you're the first person I've read or heard from that hasn't heard about the producers saying this.

....from time to time I find myself wondering if the producers throw various message board crap in there just to toy with us:)

I see a lot of things speculated about on the LOST message boards...and then 2, 3, 4 weeks later you see it pop up in an episode.

Damn but people are gullible! OF COURSE the producers factored the 'net into the show, that's part of the fun of it. They have to be counting on info getting out via cybersquawk that you wouldn't pick up on just by watching.

Eliminating "it's all a dream" doesn't really qualify as a spoiler IMHO, it makes it more fun trying to come up with something that makes sense. If you accept dreams or magic or any anti-logical crap like that then there's just no point in watching the show.

I have two opposing theories on this but both cover an awful lot of what I've seen, and one nests inside the other if it comes to that. Think about it, just how many fortuitous coincidences can you swallow? The show has already had more than anyone has seen in the history of mankind. Chew on this- the whole thing, and I mean the WHOLE thing, the "survivors", the island, everything is being stage managed, manipulated and choreographed for the benefit of a very few or even a select one for a specific purpose. Who plays that large? Who could muster the resources to make it happen? This thing is a lie inside a con inside a hoax nestled in a scam, and at the end you're gonna see the final puppetmaster cashes a paycheck issued by the government.

Now you gonna make me have to wake my boy up so I can go back and watch it again NOW!

Y'all need to try and step back a bit and look for the big picture in this. There are so many red herrings swimming around this show it makes you forget that there has to be a ocean for 'em. I'm hooked on this too, I've always been one of those guys that sweats to figure out the real culprit before Holmes tells everyone in the parlour on the last page, so it is definitely bugging me. Gimme some ideas....

What IS the "Dharma Project"? What was its original purpose or intent?

There were an awful lot or resources poured into this island, why is it so decrepit? Is it because Dharma failed, or because it succeeded?

The show has to make you question what is "real", we've seen too many instances of someones thoughts becoming tangible (ie., Walt and the polar bear) Am I the only one questioning just how much of what we've seen is a result of the Dharma Project having its way with the rats in the maze? If so, is "Henry Gale" real, as in a flesh and blood human being?

Why did they make such a point of taking the children? Is there something to adults being predictable and manageable in what they can be led to believe, whereas childrens imaginations might just have dragons dancing in the surf or Santa Claus tooling around over the treetops, and screw up the whole thing?

I've got some thoughts on this but I'd be curious to know what others think. I've looked at most of the online sites/message boards for it and it is all static.

This would really ruin it for me, because this thought is constantly running through my mind when I watch the show. It would be a complete cop-out by the writers and un-imaginative. The horse, polar bear, Eko's plane, etc.

I would guess that this is the Dharma Project, but it requires a certain type of person . Maybe they're stealin the kids and "good people," because they have no skeletons in the closet and the experiment won't work on em.

If this is the case, or this is all a dream or they're all sitting inside a lab somewhere hallucinating all of this... grrr.

Heh, I really hope the writers have something more original in mind.

....from time to time I find myself wondering if the producers throw various message board crap in there just to toy with us:)

I see a lot of things speculated about on the LOST message boards...and then 2, 3, 4 weeks later you see it pop up in an episode.

There are only a finite number of things that can happen (though that number is extremely large), given the number and diversity of the people putting forth theories, it is probable that someone comes up with the right theory from time to time.

I hadn't heard the producer's podcasts either. However the Hurley's brain theory doesn't make sense, because he's not in every episode. There are episodes in which he doesn't even appear; if it were in his head, we would only see what was going on with him I would think, and not other events that are going on in the hatch, for example. Also, the characters are all very deep, and all have hidden secrets and such; I would think if it was all a dream, it wouldn't be this in depth. :2cents:

I didn't really like this episode that much. Other than the last 30 secs, and the scene between Locke and Fake Henry, there's nothing that I took from the episode that I feel will reemerge down the road. I really could care less that he was in the nuthouse for causing a deck to collapse, and I don't think it's going to have any connection with anyone else. And at this point, all these connections in their backstories just aren't wowing me anymore. I've seen nothing to suggest yet that they're anything more than pure coincidences. Locke and Eko's backstories are the only ones that I still have any interest in. I would be perfectly happy if they just got rid of the flashbacks and made the show all about the island.

You're crazy...the flashbacks are a huge part of the show!! They not only give us insight into the characters themselves, but they offer a very nice contrast to what is going on on the island.

I think its clear that the Dharma Initiative is some sort of research project. I had an idea that maybe they were trying to establish some sort of utopia on the island, and something went very wrong (the 'event' referred to in the training video). :whoknows: The 'others' are the original inhabitants of the utopia. Maybe the 'event' or whatever it was sterilized them with some sort of radiation, hence the taking of the children. Also, maybe there was just a basic 'Lord of the Flies' thing going on with the people in the utopia (the 'others'), and they rebelled or something.

:whoknows: This show is crazy, and has got me all twisted. I was tripping out when they showed Libby in the mental hospital!! :laugh: I hadn't thought about the stalking thing...it makes sense that maybe Hurley killed a good friend or relative of hers, and it also makes sense that the box company Locke worked for was the same one Hurley owned, and the deck somehow paralyzed him. I have a feeling we'll have to wait until season 3 to find that out. Hopefully not, though!

I still want to know what the "monster" on the island is. We haven't seen that yet, have we? Not the black smoke, but whatever it was that effed the pilot up. Wierd. I can't wait for the next episode --

****SPOILER****

-- Kate and Jack go off to trade with the others...I don't know if they're trading Henry, or food, or what, but it sounds interesting! Damn I can't wait!! :laugh:

Archived