Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we all care about getting "props" from writers?

Jethrodsp

For the record, I dont think that everything the Skins FO has done this offseason was the right move but reading this board has told me I am in the distinct minority. Antwaan Randle El? Brandon Lloyd? These guys may or may not be the answer for Mr Saunders (the single most important move of the offseason bar none), but everyone is gonna have their opinion and no one is right or wrong until its time to lace em up in September. Im excited to see whats going to happen, but its the kind of excitement that says we could flop this season just as easily as we could go to the SB.

I always wonder why there are so many threads on this board about "this guy said we're stupid" or "that guy has no respect for us." The way I see it is that we shouldn't be able to care less about anything other than what some writers have to say about our team. Peter King, Lenny P and others really have no effect on how we feel about the Skins, so why all the uproar when they say something negative. WHO CARES!!

Personally I like reading their predictions and I think that a lot of the time they make legitimate points that no one here seems to see when describing our team. Im not defending everything these writers say, but how can you dump on them so much for stating their opinion?

Much of the time, the opinions of the people most outraged by the new power rankings or Peter King's latest shot at Dan Snyder are the most eronious and one sided. I have always tried to be as objective as possible about the Skins between game days and I see where someone could doubt the Redskins FO. If we win a SB, Dan Snyder will be King Midas, but until them he will continue to be the media's whipping boy.

WHO CARES!! You and I know that we have one of the most committed and aggressive owners in Mr Snyder, and I dont think that everyone should take the shots from writers and opinion makers so personally. Im sure that Dan doesnt, otherwise he would have changed his ways by now.

So this is the question that haunts me every time I'm here:

Why do we care so much about what these guys say? Take it for what it is, THINK about where they are coming from, and then let it roll off if you don't like it.

:2cents:

Hail Skins.

Jethro.

Yes, thank you. Everyone listen to this man, and stop crying.

Do you really want to be put on a pedistal? I don't, because it sucks when you don't live up to expectations. I'd rather be the underdog that comes back and proves everyone wrong. That feels alot sweeter....as evidenced by this past season.

Also, whining is annoying.

Well, I care. It pisses me off, because I like to read sports articles and like to watch sports programs on TV. I'm tired of seeing such nonsense.

I would love to see some real objective criticism from perspectives different then a fan of the team. I'm tired of reading our receivers aren't gonna work out because they're too short. I want to read some inside knowledge about the players that, as a regular fan, I don't have access too. Not some worthless crap from a stat-sheet I can read myself.

I don't care THAT much, but is assuming that a sports journalist has more to add then a casual fan asking too much?

i have always put sports writers/reporters and the bottom of the food chain...they buil athletes up as gods, which in turn raises their status then they go about tearing them down increase thier status:rant::rant: i had a big rant here deleted it though

I agree.

It's a difficult thing to wrangle with, but writers are just as much fans as we are. Try as they may, built-in biases are going to shine through once in a while, especially when a writer comments on a trade or a free-agent signing.

It makes us look childish when we cry for attention. We don't need to have the mainstream kisses our rear-ends like the Pats or toe Cowboys . . . we just need to win, it cures all.

YES! i totally agree. i could care less what pastabelly and king are saying about the skins. we have the best coach in the NFL and he will make this team work just like he did last year when we didnt have the kind of weapons we have now.

screw the media, they will never have anything good to say about the skins

I don't get angry when uninformed press writers bash my beloved skins for no reason (or, more likely, due to their personal biases) and I agree that people may get a little too worked up about the whole deal.

BUT, the reason we care, is it IS FUN to read when people say nice things about your squad, or at least I find it fun, just like I find it fun when we sign our FA targets and everyone on the Iggles, Gints, and boys boards goes ape**** wondering why we can afford the players. It's all part of the fun of being a sports fan.

So, when the press denies us this pleasure because of personal dislike for Snyder, I guess that's why people get frustrated. Plus, it COULD (although hasn't appeared to) add to a negative perception of the team nationally which may someday harm our ability to attract FAs and Coaches. While this hasn't been a problem since Joe came to town, he will be gone one day, and we can only hope that Washington remains a preferred destination afterwards (although, with the Danny cutting checks, I imagine we won't ever have too many problems) :).

D'Pablo is right, it is not about props.It's about unbiased,objective writing.How can an objective writer see every move or decision that a particular team makes as being a bad one?I don't care about praise just don't bash all the time.

For the record, I dont think that everything the Skins FO has done this offseason was the right move but reading this board has told me I am in the distinct minority. Antwaan Randle El? Brandon Lloyd? These guys may or may not be the answer for Mr Saunders (the single most important move of the offseason bar none), but everyone is gonna have their opinion and no one is right or wrong until its time to lace em up in September. Im excited to see whats going to happen, but its the kind of excitement that says we could flop this season just as easily as we could go to the SB.

I always wonder why there are so many threads on this board about "this guy said we're stupid" or "that guy has no respect for us." The way I see it is that we shouldn't be able to care less about anything other than what some writers have to say about our team. Peter King, Lenny P and others really have no effect on how we feel about the Skins, so why all the uproar when they say something negative. WHO CARES!!

Personally I like reading their predictions and I think that a lot of the time they make legitimate points that no one here seems to see when describing our team. Im not defending everything these writers say, but how can you dump on them so much for stating their opinion?

Much of the time, the opinions of the people most outraged by the new power rankings or Peter King's latest shot at Dan Snyder are the most eronious and one sided. I have always tried to be as objective as possible about the Skins between game days and I see where someone could doubt the Redskins FO. If we win a SB, Dan Snyder will be King Midas, but until them he will continue to be the media's whipping boy.

WHO CARES!! You and I know that we have one of the most committed and aggressive owners in Mr Snyder, and I dont think that everyone should take the shots from writers and opinion makers so personally. Im sure that Dan doesnt, otherwise he would have changed his ways by now.

Why do we care so much about what these guys say? Take it for what it is, THINK about where they are coming from, and then let it roll off if you don't like it.

Hail Skins.

Jethro.

Most people, weirdly enough, like to hear good things about their team. It makes complete sense that you would want other people to praise your team. See I understand why they would want that, though I do not care myself as long as we win.

Well, I care. It pisses me off, because I like to read sports articles and like to watch sports programs on TV. I'm tired of seeing such nonsense.

I would love to see some real objective criticism from perspectives different then a fan of the team. I'm tired of reading our receivers aren't gonna work out because they're too short. I want to read some inside knowledge about the players that, as a regular fan, I don't have access too. Not some worthless crap from a stat-sheet I can read myself.

I don't care THAT much, but is assuming that a sports journalist has more to add then a casual fan asking too much?

I totally agress. I care also!!! I would like to see at least 1 or 2 aricles stating that we we 10-6 last year and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs without a legit #2 WR, banged up RB and O-line!

We added 2 legit WR's, One of which is an awesome playmaker in Randle-EL, A possibly dominanant DE and another hard hitting safety. We have an all world coaching staff including one of the best offensive minds n the game in Saunders... What in the hell is there not to LOVE!!!!

People look to sports writers to solidify what they "think" they know about their team. It reassures them. If you think what your team has done in free agency is great, then several writers write about it and say they think its great too, it makes you feel good because you've got support from outside sources.

But.........if you think what your team has done is great and the sportswriters think it was average, or even poor, they are contradicting what you think about your team. This makes you unhappy, and you will want to take out your hostilities against them.

I don't understand why the vast majority of you think what the skins did in the offseason was so great. Try to look at it from an outsiders perspective.

Lloyd/ARE......basically the same player. Neither one has done much in the league thus far. ARE is a very good special teamer though. But who gets excited in free agency about special teamers?

Andre Carter....The guy had like 4 sacks last year, a decent player,but everyone here makes him out to be Dwight Freeney.

Archuleta.....A better than average safety, but when was the last time you saw everyone cream themselves about signing a safety?

To anyone not wearing homer glasses, you basically got 3 average players and 1 better than average player. And you want the media to run around talking about how great a Free Agency season you had? Get real. Plus factor in the money you guys paid them and you should know lil Danny is going to take some heat.

Do you really, truly believe "the media has it out for us"??? That is the kind of argument I would use when I came home from school with a bad grade. "But the teacher doesn't like me mom".............nevermind that I just didn't do my homework.

Interesting take from WeownU from Big D..It must be boring on your board. Grant it...these picks won't shine until they produce on the field but it keeps the silly season interesting! I take the sports writers with a grain of salt. You can see the bias in their opinions all of the time, no matter where they're from.

People look to sports writers to solidify what they "think" they know about their team. It reassures them. If you think what your team has done in free agency is great, then several writers write about it and say they think its great too, it makes you feel good because you've got support from outside sources.

But.........if you think what your team has done is great and the sportswriters think it was average, or even poor, they are contradicting what you think about your team. This makes you unhappy, and you will want to take out your hostilities against them.

I don't understand why the vast majority of you think what the skins did in the offseason was so great. Try to look at it from an outsiders perspective.

Lloyd/ARE......basically the same player. Neither one has done much in the league thus far. ARE is a very good special teamer though. But who gets excited in free agency about special teamers?

Andre Carter....The guy had like 4 sacks last year, a decent player,but everyone here makes him out to be Dwight Freeney.

Archuleta.....A better than average safety, but when was the last time you saw everyone cream themselves about signing a safety?

To anyone not wearing homer glasses, you basically got 3 average players and 1 better than average player. And you want the media to run around talking about how great a Free Agency season you had? Get real. Plus factor in the money you guys paid them and you should know lil Danny is going to take some heat.

Do you really, truly believe "the media has it out for us"??? That is the kind of argument I would use when I came home from school with a bad grade. "But the teacher doesn't like me mom".............nevermind that I just didn't do my homework.

OK time to show more Crackboy ignorance:

- Andre Carter player LB last year - on the Niners - hence the 4 sacks. Did anyone SAY he is was Dwight Freeny? Nope. He is a far better pass rusher than anyone the Skins have right now so he is a big upgrade. It's called reading: top to bottom, left to right. Try it sometime.

- The last time anyone creamed themselves over a safety? Oh I dunno - when the Crackboys drafted Roy Williams possibly? I worked with a Crack fan - he had a Williams jersey the very next week. Besides - who is going to want to go across the middle with Taylor and AA back there?

- If you want to crack on the Skins receivers, I'd like to hear what you think about the 5 year deal the overrated 32-yr old Glenn got. Lloyd is 24, ARE is 26/27? See Lloyd will get better, ARE is going to provide versatility and give a huge spark in the return game. Glenn will give you eroding skills. Good move. I am sure Banks will approve.

- And the problem I have with these writers is the constant unnecessary swipes. Objective analysis I can deal with - but the constant shots are a blatant display of unprofessionalism and bias. And don't even begin to tell me you wouldn't be griping over the same thing if it was Jones and the Cowboys constantly getting attacked.

Oh, and, we may have been over excited about a Safety, but how many times did you cream your shorts over an Idiot Kicker?

Dallas still doesn't have a line, and they couldn't cover anyone when it was only Moss - what are they going to do now? But you did get TO...who will start whining when Bledsoe gets sacked 40 times.

Hail Skins.

Jethro.

WOW. Well, I agree that everyone has there opinion, shich should be respected. I also, am one who will not state that someone is great just b/c they have on a Skins uni and have been anointed by marketing strategy. And I agree that nothing matters until Game 1. But we are consumers whe consume what writers/sportscasters say. I get irritated b/c people then repeat the BS some put out, good & bad about the Skins. So I care only to the extent that I now have to hear this **** again and again by folks that will repeat what they hear/read but do not know the game.

Ultimately, you're correct in that we don't know anything about these folks until we see them play.

Hail Skins.

Jethro.

WOW. Well, I agree that everyone has there opinion, shich should be respected. I also, am one who will not state that someone is great just b/c they have on a Skins uni and have been anointed by marketing strategy. And I agree that nothing matters until Game 1. But we are consumers who consume what writers/sportscasters say. I get irritated b/c people then repeat the BS some put out, good & bad about the Skins. So I care only to the extent that I now have to hear this **** again and again by folks that will repeat what they hear/read but do not know the game.

Ultimately, you're correct in that we don't know anything about these folks until we see them play.

OK time to show more Crackboy ignorance:

- Andre Carter player LB last year - on the Niners - hence the 4 sacks. Did anyone SAY he is was Dwight Freeny? Nope. He is a far better pass rusher than anyone the Skins have right now so he is a big upgrade. It's called reading: top to bottom, left to right. Try it sometime.

- The last time anyone creamed themselves over a safety? Oh I dunno - when the Crackboys drafted Roy Williams possibly? I worked with a Crack fan - he had a Williams jersey the very next week. Besides - who is going to want to go across the middle with Taylor and AA back there?

- If you want to crack on the Skins receivers, I'd like to hear what you think about the 5 year deal the overrated 32-yr old Glenn got. Lloyd is 24, ARE is 26/27? See Lloyd will get better, ARE is going to provide versatility and give a huge spark in the return game. Glenn will give you eroding skills. Good move. I am sure Banks will approve.

- And the problem I have with these writers is the constant unnecessary swipes. Objective analysis I can deal with - but the constant shots are a blatant display of unprofessionalism and bias. And don't even begin to tell me you wouldn't be griping over the same thing if it was Jones and the Cowboys constantly getting attacked.

Oh, and, we may have been over excited about a Safety, but how many times did you cream your shorts over an Idiot Kicker?

Dallas still doesn't have a line, and they couldn't cover anyone when it was only Moss - what are they going to do now? But you did get TO...who will start whining when Bledsoe gets sacked 40 times.

well said *clapping*

Archived