Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we all care about getting "props" from writers?

Jethrodsp

Not "all" of us do care. I MUCH prefer having them treat us the way we do. It gives the Redskins a real advantage to be under-valued by opponents. If we are talked about all over the country as favored to make the SB, then everyone gets "up" for us. That is a huge disadvantage. I have never figured out why so many young guys get upset at the media for helping us the way they do!!!

Now, as for the LOCAL media - that is a different story. The Washington Post sucks. No Redskin fan should have a subscription to that sorry rag.

For the record, I dont think that everything the Skins FO has done this offseason was the right move but reading this board has told me I am in the distinct minority. Antwaan Randle El? Brandon Lloyd? These guys may or may not be the answer for Mr Saunders (the single most important move of the offseason bar none), but everyone is gonna have their opinion and no one is right or wrong until its time to lace em up in September. Im excited to see whats going to happen, but its the kind of excitement that says we could flop this season just as easily as we could go to the SB.

I always wonder why there are so many threads on this board about "this guy said we're stupid" or "that guy has no respect for us." The way I see it is that we shouldn't be able to care less about anything other than what some writers have to say about our team. Peter King, Lenny P and others really have no effect on how we feel about the Skins, so why all the uproar when they say something negative. WHO CARES!!

Personally I like reading their predictions and I think that a lot of the time they make legitimate points that no one here seems to see when describing our team. Im not defending everything these writers say, but how can you dump on them so much for stating their opinion?

Much of the time, the opinions of the people most outraged by the new power rankings or Peter King's latest shot at Dan Snyder are the most eronious and one sided. I have always tried to be as objective as possible about the Skins between game days and I see where someone could doubt the Redskins FO. If we win a SB, Dan Snyder will be King Midas, but until them he will continue to be the media's whipping boy.

WHO CARES!! You and I know that we have one of the most committed and aggressive owners in Mr Snyder, and I dont think that everyone should take the shots from writers and opinion makers so personally. Im sure that Dan doesnt, otherwise he would have changed his ways by now.

So this is the question that haunts me every time I'm here:

Why do we care so much about what these guys say? Take it for what it is, THINK about where they are coming from, and then let it roll off if you don't like it.

:2cents:

Hail Skins.

Jethro.

Thank you. Im with you all the way. All the "we dont get respect" threads are so tired. Hopefully we'll start to notice a decline in the crying game.

If the media doesn't like our FA moves thats one thing. But the shots being taken at Daniel Synder (ex. Banks shot at him today in his article) are not professional and should bother skins fans. If it doesn't then u should look at yourselves. Here is an owner who puts everything he has into making a team a winner and he gets killed for it but a owner like Paul Brown sits on his a** and doesn't make any moves to improve a good bengals team (are u kidding me with not getting a good backup qb with the injury to Palmer) and he gets left alone. Give us a D for FA moves in your articles media but don't kill an owner of a team for no reason other than he doesn't feed u inside info.

I think that most of these so called sprts writer have no idea what they're talking about. I never listen to what they or ayone else has to say about the Redskins because win or lose I'll still be by the television every sunday cheering them on. The game isn't played in the press it's played on the field, and with Joe Gibbs as our coach I can expect that our guys will go out and give maximum effort. That's all i ask.

I don't really care about the props or the criticism. Maybe I should care some in how these folks do their jobs, ( expect better), but until such time as they do, I won't care about what they write good or bad.

I don't understand why the vast majority of you think what the skins did in the offseason was so great. Try to look at it from an outsiders perspective.

Of course you don't.

And,

anointing your views the appelation of "an outsider's perspective" would have to inlcude the descriptors of "biased, ill-informed, slow-witted, and incapable of cogent discussion beyond the most elemenatry level" in order to be fair. ;)

We don’t get props because we’ve sucked for so long. If we continue to get better, we’ll get all the respect we deserve. If not, we will continue to be disrespected. Winning cures all. In the meantime, who cares? I give no props to the media, whether they are for or against the Skins. They know very little, less than many ES posters.

The Redskin players and coaches should not even pay any attention to what the media has to say in the first place because i believe it will just prove to be nothing more than a distraction. However, for us fans it is obviously irritating to hear biased crap from people like P.King who just masquerade as "experts" but are nothing more than glorified ignorant fans. (like Dallas, NY, and Philly fans) :laugh: Also, one of the reasons we hate King, Banks, and the such is that we do not get actual unbiased reporting. Criticism is fine, as long as it is deserving, and so is praise. And although it is clearly the opinions of these writers on whether the decisions made by the team are smart or not, those opinions must be well thought out first, a practice that King and others do not do at all.

We don’t get props because we’ve sucked for so long. If we continue to get better, we’ll get all the respect we deserve. If not, we will continue to be disrespected. Winning cures all. In the meantime, who cares? I give no props to the media, whether they are for or against the Skins. They know very little, less than many ES posters.

Your theory doesn't really hold true as perennial losers such as the Cards,Saints,and others don't recieve near the criticism the Skins get.While the Redskins haven't been world beaters they are around 500 over the past 10 years.Some of these issues mentioned during this thread have nothing to do with wins and losses.Issues such as the vendetta against Art Monk getting in the Hall or how much the team pays for a particular player are irrelevant to win and losses.As stated before, it is not a matter of props it's a matter of biased or unbiased journalism.

Archived