Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins work the numbers (Updated Salary Cap Info and some visiting information)

sableholic

It counts after final cut down day. Only the Top 51 salaries count until then.

Hmmm, I had never heard that before. I thought that was the rule for the entire year. And I thought it was the bottom salaries on the roster that were excluded not even the practice squad.

But if the practice squad count towards the salary cap...that's kind of wierd since they aren't really on the team and can be signed by anyone who wants to sign them.

Hmmm, I had never heard that before. I thought that was the rule for the entire year. And I thought it was the bottom salaries on the roster that were excluded not even the practice squad.

But if the practice squad count towards the salary cap...that's kind of wierd since they aren't really on the team and can be signed by anyone who wants to sign them.

The practice squad isn't set until after the final cutdown. During the offseason, there isn't a practice squad.

Guys on the practice squad get paid a set fee. (I used to hear that it was about a grand a week, but that has probably gone up.)

Jason

This was a really good article in terms of explaining how we got under the Cap, I wasn't aware of the the 6.1M in incentives that went away for Samuels/Rabach/Patten/Wynn when the CBA was extended. That seems to be the missing link that we never heard about. Does anyone know exactly what happened with that?

I would have responded to Pocono, but Art already told him pretty much everything that needs to be said. All who said we would be in cap hell were wrong. We had a plan (restructures, etc.) that would leave us cutting the same exact people. Sure we would have been more limited in our FA moves, but that doesn't equal cap hell.

It counts after final cut down day. Only the Top 51 salaries count until then.

Art....This is no practice squad until after cut down day so it would be hard for it to count before it exists. Also Art I noticed in the Lloyd thread you stated that they could prorate his bonus over 6 years if he signed an extension. That's wrong Art. They can only prorate it over 5 years this year and anyone who was paying attention to the contracts of the legion of players they signed would know that.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149733

"If Lloyd were to sign a deal similiar to what we've signed the others we sign to, his cap hit would be about $550,000 for the base minimum along with about $833,000 or so for a pro-rated cap hit on a $5 million signing bonus spread over six years. We'd actually save a couple hundred thousand against the cap number resigning him to a similar deal."

The plan that was worked out was to gamble that the CBA would be extended in time or all hell would break loose. The plan worked. The CBA was extended and they were able to go on about their business. They deserve praise for having the guts to take that risk but to pretend that everything would have been peachy keen had their been no extension is ridiculous.

Wrong. Like all other teams, the Redskins' plan was that the cap would have its annual increase. When it became possible the CBA could be mired by revenue sharing, a second plan was developed to cover that eventuality. In either scenario, the Skins would have moved ahead because their writing of contracts provides an incentive to players to restructure should the team ask.

If the team caught any luck this time around (in an unexpected way) it was Arrington's decision to turn back the $4.4 million and split and the Ramsey trade.

Gibbs said it before free agency and reiterated it last week. The team was going to be aggressive in free agency regardless of whether plan "A" or plan "B" was operative. And any other team in the league can follow the team's salary cap approach .... and they choose not to.

Yes, one of the key parts of the plan is anticipating an annual increase in the cap number. Hand in hand with that is anticipating what to do if there is NOT a cap increase. That's just sound business/budget strategy, just like most of us do in our personal lives. We decide whether to take a variable mortgage or a fixed one, betting on rates. We decide whether to buy that big screen TV, anticipating a raise or a tax refund. If we're smart, however, we don't overextend ourselves and have a plan of action if the raise/refund doesn't come through.

The plan that was worked out was to gamble that the CBA would be extended in time or all hell would break loose. The plan worked. The CBA was extended and they were able to go on about their business. They deserve praise for having the guts to take that risk but to pretend that everything would have been peachy keen had their been no extension is ridiculous.

Let's see. We got under the worst case scenario cap while tendering offers to our RFAs, and without cutting anything other than detritus. Yes, clearly WE are the ones who are being ridiculous. You were wrong. Its ok. Everyone is human. You underestimated the franchise. It happens. Admit it and move on.

Gibbs said it before free agency and reiterated it last week. The team was going to be aggressive in free agency regardless of whether plan "A" or plan "B" was operative. And any other team in the league can follow the team's salary cap approach .... and they choose not to.

Actually, Gibbs did say publically that the team was going to be limited on what it could do if it had to go through with plan B. Ceratto also said that if they had to go though plan "B", that the Redskins would have to build through the draft this year.

But, despite what Pocono is suggesting, it wouldn't have been a "disaster" for us. Perhaps we wouldn't have acqired the players that we did, but we wouldn't have lost any more players than we did currently. Course, there could have been other repurcussions that may have hurt down the road. (Like Portis becoming an early FA after about 3 years, if the reports were correct.)

In any case, tho, such things didn't come to pass, and IMO, weren't likely to come to pass. The owners and players weren't stupid. They knew they needed a deal in some form, and it eventually happened.

Jason

Dyson would be a better choice if we want to go for a hitter that knows how to get sacks from the CB position. Wright is a Stoutmire type player. Pretty average in coverage and can get you a couple of picks in a good year and maybe a few great plays once in a great while.

Uhhh, Dyson needs to get on the field to make a play. He is so often injured that they only report when he's not hurt. :rolleyes:

Dude, you've been OWNED repeatedly on this thread. Folks around here would have a lot more respect for you (which isn't saying much) if you manned up and admitted you were DEAD wrong about our impending doom.

Pocono,

You are ever a joy, though, I have some pity for a life devoted to the Washington Redskins salary cap, and, trailing around behind me desperately praying for any small bit of error to somehow even up how dim you've been. It is absolutely of no consequence if contracts can be prorated out five years or six years this year or next. It is of consequence we understand the basics of cap work and you do not, as witnessed by your protests for about a year that we couldn't get under the cap, that we'd cut the roster or not field a whole roster and the like.

In fact, with no CBA we would have cut the EXACT same guys and STILL signed players. That's a fact this article, other articles with insight, agents and more have confirmed. You lack the basic understanding of how things work. You always have. Which is why no one takes you at all seriously.

Wrong. Like all other teams, the Redskins' plan was that the cap would have its annual increase. When it became possible the CBA could be mired by revenue sharing, a second plan was developed to cover that eventuality. In either scenario, the Skins would have moved ahead because their writing of contracts provides an incentive to players to restructure should the team ask.

If the team caught any luck this time around (in an unexpected way) it was Arrington's decision to turn back the $4.4 million and split and the Ramsey trade.

Yes, one of the key parts of the plan is anticipating an annual increase in the cap number. Hand in hand with that is anticipating what to do if there is NOT a cap increase. That's just sound business/budget strategy, just like most of us do in our personal lives. We decide whether to take a variable mortgage or a fixed one, betting on rates. We decide whether to buy that big screen TV, anticipating a raise or a tax refund. If we're smart, however, we don't overextend ourselves and have a plan of action if the raise/refund doesn't come through.

I don't know what you guys are paying Eric Schaffer, but that guy has earned every last red cent.

This was a really good article in terms of explaining how we got under the Cap, I wasn't aware of the the 6.1M in incentives that went away for Samuels/Rabach/Patten/Wynn when the CBA was extended. That seems to be the missing link that we never heard about. Does anyone know exactly what happened with that?

I'm interested in that part, too. How did this happen, and why didn't we do it with ALL our players? :D

That's a nice chunk of change.

wright sounds like he is more eager than fletcher or dyson.. i do not like the rap of biting but i do like the physical nature. all in all i think that dyson is a beter fit, but it may not make that great a difference.

time to get the last couple of o linemen signed. i would feel better if they got goodwin under contract. love those michigan linemen. we need a back up center for certain.

as for linebacker i am not sure any of the guys is what we should be looking for. afraid it will be another holdman type of player. it would be best if clemons or mccune showed enough to grab the position. might be wishfull thinking for now

it is easier to teach not biting than it is to teach pysicality:redpunch:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060321-114906-1424r.htm

"After all of these calculations and machinations, Washington is at $97.574 million, leaving $4.426 million to spend on adding a starting linebacker to replace Arrington with room for: its six draft choices (a moderately expensive second-rounder and five cheap, low-round picks); the final two roster spots, which count against the cap once the season starts; the eight-man practice squad; and a reserve fund for replacing injured players this fall.

And if the Redskins need more savings, they could wait until June (when only a pro-rated share of signing bonuses counts against the cap for former players) and cut Wynn (saving $1.5 million), oft-injured kicker John Hall ($1.5 million) and receiver Taylor Jacobs ($500,000) and trim another $3.5 million off the cap in order to afford a third cornerback, a reserve offensive lineman or another player let go by another team after June 1.

Note -- Guard/center Jonathan Goodwin, who spent the last four seasons with the Jets, visited the Redskins yesterday. Cornerback Kenny Wright, who has been with Jacksonville, will visit today."

Can't really further comment on what has been said in this thread, other than nice find Sable. Much appreciated. :cheers:

hey ART i know your having fun toying with your little mouse pocodoh but why not just strike the death blow and.........:banhim:.....if eagle fans knew anything about football they wouldnt be eagle fans:eaglesuck

Archived