Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout Jason Campbell Yourself! (Video Highlights Within)Merged

bobzmuda

I see that you continue to cite Campbell's completion percentage as argument for his accuracy. Although that is sometimes a good indicator accuracy, I don't think it always proves that a qb is accurate.

It doesn't always prove that a QB is accurate, sure, but that seems like splitting hairs just to split hairs. Also you can't argue that a QB is inaccurate while that QB completes 70% of his passes. If you review the video just about all of his passes hit his receivers in the hands. A few were off-target and a few were overthrown on purpose because of tight coverage to let the receiver have a chance, but not the defense.

Many of Campbell's throws were dumpoffs and his deeper throws were to guys who were WIDE open (these balls just need to be thrown in the guys area, not over the shoulder or ahead of them). These are throws that almost any average qb can make. When I look at accuracy I want to see the qb put the ball where the receiver can pick up y.a.c., make tough throws in traffic, or throw a nice deep out pattern.

That would be the ideal yes. But most of Campbell's throws in this video weren't dumpoffs to the backs. There were a few dumpoffs, but those were on scrambles and I think they were mostly good decisions. Most of his passes seemed to be crossing routes, comebacks, hitches, etc. As said elsewhere in this thread, a staple of the Gibbs offense. On a couple of the crossing patterns Campbell was on target enough to allow a run after the catch.

I'll disagree with you that an average QB could have made all of those throws. Perhaps an average QB could have made some of those throws, but not all of them. I will admit that Campbell's deep ball seems to be slightly underthrown (not just here, but throughout his college career and into his NFL preseason) to allow the WR to make a play on the ball. And he seems to loft the ball to wide open receivers to ensure the catch and to keep the ball away from defenders. I'm not concerned about those things yet but I'll be keeping an eye on it. In any event, he's at least much more accurate with the deep ball than those scouting reports give him credit for.

Also it is definitely a good thing that he is looking to different recievers, you would hope that all qbs at this level would, but it is important to see how quickly he gets through his progressions.

I don't think having a QB that is able to calmly go through his progressions while avoiding the rush through feel, not sight, is a common skill at all. In fact, I think it's quite rare. It's tough to tell how fast he went through his progressions because you can't see much downfield. But that he was that successful and able at all to make those reads in his first year in that offense I think brings hope that he can do something similar in DC.

I don't mean to be so pessimistic, but I do have some concern over Campbell. I have not forgotten the way he played before his senior year.

No doubt Campbell was not living up to his Parade All-American status at Auburn through is first 3 years. But his performance during his senior year at Auburn didn't seem to be a fluke at Senior Bowl practices where he had the best week of practice for a QB, and followed that up with a very good game.

I can understand your skepticism, but I hope you can understand my excitement. :)

Is it me or his balls seem to float a lot

Not even close to the zip say a "Ramsey" would put on the ball

Can he adjust to the NFL speed because lets face it the corners in college are dead slow compared to the ones he will face.

I have to be honest here. To think we traded as much as we did for him with Ramsey still on the roster, I just don't see it. I guess that is why Gibbs is a HOF coach and I am not even a coach. Lets just hope Gibbs have found a guy that will be with us for the next 10 years and will have a few SB rings to show his grandkids.

Look where that arm strength got Ramsey? He's riding the pine while an older, softer throwing QB who makes good reads is playing. We all saw Campbell load up and zing the ball in preseason.

I'm not going to doubt his arm strength from a college game where there was no need to gun the ball in tight spaces. His receivers were open and he put the ball on the money. Sounds like he'll do just fine in Saunders system:D

People talk about his awkward delivery? Every QB in the NFL has a different delivery. Only Carson Palmer has a textbook delivery. Peyton gets the ball out quick but his balls woble all the time. Same with Donovan who seems to do pretty well with dinking and dunk in the WCO. Hell, Ramsey throws like a baseball catcher from behind his ear. Thats why he can't put any touch on the ball and consistently overthrows receivers.

I saw a calm QB who can move in the pocket, avoided the rush, and hit open receivers. Isn't that all we want in our Qbs? We don't need a Brett favre gunslinger. Gibbs' O has never needed one.

Heres my evaluation of Jason Campbell...

Jason Campbell:

Looked determine to get the ball to his recievers by scrambling through and around defensive and offensive players.

Has all the physical Tools you need speed, arm strength, size.

Could work on his accuracy, good enough for the NFL though.

Dont take some of those fumbles to heart you saw in that video...I was saying to myself " Come on O-line!dont let your QB get clobbard like that". Any QB would fumble after one of those shots and the small lanes the O-Line was making.

Looks fast enough to scramble in the NFL if a play breaks down.

Only question mark for me is, can he learn to make the right desicions. Like, know not to throw it when theres two cornerbacks like 4 yards back from the reciever when he is about to get sacked. And, can he throw the deep ball with small hands? It really does effect how you throw the ball too especially on the deep ball.

I personally think Jason Campbell could be a good starting Quarterback here for many years to come.

Did anybody else notice that he would stare at the WR he was going to throw too. I am a JC fan and I loved watching those video's. But the scouts seemed right when they sayed he does not do a good job reading into his 2nd and 3rd recievers. That is a must in the NFL and I think that will be the reason he does not play for a few years.

It was a good choice to trade for Cambell IF:

By the time the Bronco's draft using the pick they got from us Lienhart, Young and Cutler are gone, then it was a brilliant move by Gibbs. If we could have gotten Cutler than I don't know how smart it seems.

It definately makes you kind of see what our brass saw in the kid and decided to trade up to go get him. He was like under the radar, but not to us.

You have to like our early round draft pics and free agent acquisitions the last three years under Big Joe.

I think its fair to see he has raw talent, and that things that would make him a good/great QB in the NFL can probably be taught. He has great pocket presence and makes good decisions. Gibbs is VERY smart for developing him the way he is so that when he's ready, he'll be a lot more polished. Cant wait to see him start!

What strikes me most watching that is how much Auburn's offense resembles the extremely restrictive offense Gibbs was running the last two years. Many of his passes are rollouts to the right, almost all of them are off of play action. Short, high percentage throws, taking advantage of the defense's focus on the running game.

As for Campbell himself, on the positive side, he shows good pocket prescence. He doesn't get rattled by pressure, has decent mobility and can buy himself time. His size makes him hard to take down if you don't get a good hit on him.

On the negative side, he has an awkward throwing motion. At times he almost looks like a pitcher throwing a baseball. He floats a whole lot of air under the ball. In the NFL, a lot of those passes will be picked off. Most of his completions in this game are to receivers who are ridiculously wide open, due to defensive breakdowns created by the dominance of Auburn's running game. In the NFL, that will never be the case. He turns the ball over twice, at the end of the first half on an INT in the end zone, and at the beginning of the second half on a fumble in Auburn territory. He could have very easily handed the game to TN if they could have capitalized on those mistakes.

I can see why a scout would like him from a physical standpoint, due to his size and decent (but not great) mobility. However, from a passing standpoint, he looks very, very average. He only attempted a few passes over 15 yards, and had mixed results. While he doesn't get nervous due to pressure from the pass rush, he does look very nervous trying to read the defense when he doesn't have a wide open receiver. Obviously the coaches at Auburn in his senior year got him to play in a very disciplined way within their system, asking him only to do what he was capable of, and not asking him to win games for them. The announcers mention a previous game where he "put the team on his shoulders" as if it was as stunning development. He doesn't lead the team down the field, or make the critical plays to win the game. He just hangs in there and does his best, while the running game and defense were undoubtedly pounding the opposition into submission.

I'm no expert, but I would never in a million years look at this game and see a first round QB. It is obvious however, why Gibbs would have been interested in him, because the way Auburn was running their offense is very similar to Gibbs's offense from the past two years. Campbell manages it effectively, getting away from pressure, dinking and dunking it to open receivers while the defense is dead set on stopping the run...almost identical to what Brunell has been doing. The play action rollout we ran last year ad naseum with Brunell to Cooley or Sellers is run almost exactly the same way and with the same frequency by Auburn in this game.

It looks to me like Gibbs drafted him for his old offense. Now that we have Saunders, we do not have the QB to run his style. Campbell is not it. I think we're going to continue to struggle this year one way or the other. Either we try to run Saunders's style of offense and get constantly let down by our QBs, or Gibbs reigns Saunders in and we just try a slightly tweaked, "new and improved" ball control, scoring control offense like we have been the past two years, which will face many of the same problems.

Dude you just don't like Cambell and are still upset we're letting Ramsey go.

Jason Campbell, from that tape, showed some poise in the pocket. He didn't show tremendous arm strength or accuracy down the field. Campbell has good manueverability in the pocket but isn't overly run crazy. If he has good weapons in the NFL he can be very successful because he doesn't force much and is pretty accurate overall in the passing game. He's big and tough and seems pretty smart running the offense.

Jason Campbell, from that tape, showed some poise in the pocket. He didn't show tremendous arm strength or accuracy down the field. Campbell has good manueverability in the pocket but isn't overly run crazy. If he has good weapons in the NFL he can be very successful because he doesn't force much and is pretty accurate overall in the passing game. He's big and tough and seems pretty smart running the offense.
:doh: He didn't show tremendous arm strength or accuracy down the field?Then you must have been watching another highlight clip.Sorry to disagree but I think that is his strong point.I love they way he flips his wrist and the ball comes out with an arch and speed, hitting the downfield receiver in stride.

Great thread and thanks for the links. I'll make it short and sweet.

The first thing I noticed was his play action fake. At times he makes defenses bite on it big time. They will stress that he needs to be consisitent on that and it will add another dimension to his game.

Very impressed with his pocket awareness and does not collapse under pressure.

He can throw against the grain with some decent accuracy.

Mobility is good enough to make something out of nothing.

Accuracy isn't as bad as some think IMO.

Let's hope he brings all these attributes to the pro level.

The one thing I took away the most from the clips is Campbell's awareness in the pocket. He is able to get the ball out before it is too late, and can keep the offense moving. If Campbell can do that alone in the NFL, then combined w/ Portis' run game and our set of receiving threats, he won't have a bad year whenever he starts.

Archived