Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout Jason Campbell Yourself! (Video Highlights Within)Merged

bobzmuda

I liked the whole thing..just dont agree on the decision to throw that last ball. But it was nice placement, and got the team a TD.

Why dont you agree with decision? the guy jumped offsides, and it was a FRee play, all the smart qb's will throw it deep when its a free play...

Actually, this made me nervous. As long as the receiver is wide open, he's fine. I didn't like his jittery feet - I think I saw him actually set and throw one time and that was an overthrow on a PI call where he stared down the receiver.

His throws ballooned more than they were darted. I'm concerned about his ability to thread the needled, hit a covered guy in stride, throw a dart downfield when needed, and to look off the DBs. I don't think he's going to be called on to run much, but it's nice to see he can if needed.

I wish I shared most people's enthusiasm, but based on that compilation, I don't.

Will I cheer like hell for him? Absolutely!!!

Hail,

H

I can see why a scout would like him from a physical standpoint, due to his size and decent (but not great) mobility. However, from a passing standpoint, he looks very, very average. He only attempted a few passes over 15 yards, and had mixed results. While he doesn't get nervous due to pressure from the pass rush, he does look very nervous trying to read the defense when he doesn't have a wide open receiver. .

I didn't quote your entire post, but that's the best analysis of Cambell I've seen! I think you are right on and that's exactly what I saw.

Hail,

H

Great thread.

I was impressed by his ability to throw on the run. He also seemed to throw with the right velocity. Overall, very good game for him and I don't see anything that would worry me. I agree that he looks to be a QB tailor made for Gibbs offense.

This guy had roughly 400 yards during that game and made the majority of his throw on his back heels. He got pressured almost the entire game. I am not seeing why people have concerns about his accuracy.

I'm in complete agreement. I thought JC's accuracy was outstanding. I'm not sure where these complaints are coming from. His long ball was smooth and on target. He was hitting his targets consistently even when on the run or under constant pressure. He was poised and what stuck out the most was his vision. He saw the field and didn't lose sight of his receivers when he was on the run.

I still think he needs to develop, but he has every chance to be a good one. In Gibbs, and now Saunders, offense, the QB is asked to take advantage of mismatches and situations, not scramble and be the primary playmaker (though he might be able to do just that).

It'll be about learning ther NFL, the speed, the tendencies, the nuances . . . he has the tools. I think Gibbs knew what he was getting with this guy. I hope he's the one!

What I liked:

- Definitely feels the rush well, and is a threat to run the ball when he needs to

- Shows enough zip to get the ball in tight spaces

- Steps up in the pocket, rather than backpedaling or scrambling

- Shows decent touch when he needs to drop a pass in over a defender

- Has height to see over defensive line and find his checkdown receivers

- Does not generally try to force the ball into his receiver

What I didn't like:

- Tends not to set his feet/throws off his back foot

- Throws consistently behind receivers; does not hit them in stride, minimizing potential for YAC

- Does not throw a tight spiral

- Both long balls were slightly underthrown

That said, one game is not enough to put together a very extensive scouting report.

• 7 months later...

Archived