Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout Jason Campbell Yourself! (Video Highlights Within)Merged

bobzmuda

This is the only thing that concerns me. If Jason Makes the same throws that Mark made against DallASS wk.2, does Santana catch those 2 balls?? I know he's an excellent route runner and ball adjuster, but I'm just not sure...

Just feeling slightly hypothetical this morning...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

Did you not here what the announcer said about his accuracy on the long ball during his senior year? Did you not see him make several excellent long throws during the game film?

he does seem to have some accuracy problems from the videos. Overall he does posess poise and does not run as often as I thought he did. I think the year off would have helped his accuracy problems anyways.

This guy had roughly 400 yards during that game and made the majority of his throw on his back heels. He got pressured almost the entire game. I am not seeing why people have concerns about his accuracy.

It is very hard to scout Jason Campbell from that video. Clearly, you picked one of his best games and it is hard to see receivers downfield, which makes it very hard to see if he is making the right reads. That being said, I think he did some good things in that game (i.e. he had good pocket prescence, decent accuracy, and capitalized on defensive breakdowns).

Again, he didn't really have a bad game his Senior season, and I tried to pick a game that had a lot of Campbell passing. I certainly didn't try to pick the game most favorable to Campbell; I picked the game that would give everyone as much of a look as possible to combat the parrot-scout-syndrome you see so often on football sites.

Also, his accuracy is more than decent. He completed 70% of his passes his Senior year.

However, it is apparent that Tennessee was keyed on the run, as were most of Auburn's opponents that year, and their pass defense was not very good. I don't think that the watching the game solidifies anything. Jason Campbell was bad and nearly benched before his senior year when Al Borges (a very qb friendly coach) took over the offense.

I agree there is some concern about whether Campbell is just the product of a productive college coach and a great supporting cast. But from the video you can see good decision making (watch his head - you can see him look off the safety or check down to a 2nd or 3rd receiver on a number of throws), natural feel for the pocket, and accuracy. Of course there is no guarantee that this will translate to the NFL, but knowing that he did at the highest level in college certainly eases the concerns somewhat.

I think that Jason Campbell is capable of being a good qb, if he has enough talent around him. I see him as the type of qb who will manage the game and make good decisions. I do not think he is the type of qb that elevates the players around him, but he can be effective in the right situation. I also think that the 'skins are handling him very well and putting him in the best position to succeed.

There are few QBs in NFL history that have elevated the players around them. I agree that it seems that Campbell is set to succeed in Washington: He's running a similar offense as he did in Auburn, he's being given a ton of weapons, he's not going to be asked to throw for 350 yards every game, he's going to be asked to be smart with the football and take what is given and let the running game and defense help win the game.

With that said, Campbell looks in theory to be the ideal QB for Gibbs' and his system. Whether or not it works out we'll soon see.

From what I watched I got the feeling that the pressure was in his head a little. Even when he didn't have a guy in his face, which was't often, he seemed to be on his heels while throwing. If he keeps his weight going forward at release instead of backward he'd have a lot more on his throws.

That being said, I still think he looked fantastic. I saw him looking from receiver to receiver, moving when he had to and never appeared overtly flustered. I guess I'm just nitpicking.

So as not to parrot what most others are saying I want to point out in one spot he had the option to run for 5-7 yards easy. He instead passed off to the open man.

Lots of mobile NFL QB's don't do that. They see the five yards and it's head down and go. Hopefully that instance isn't a rare occasion.

wow..i give you POST OF THE YEAR unofficially...that was great

from what i saw in this video was...

Jason can move, i like that one play in the first half where he just didnt have anyboyd open and just ran with it, shows his athleticism....

2nd...i like the way he sometimes likes to thread teh needle meaning he isnt affraid of thrwoing any ball...he made some bad passes here and there but thats any QB in the NFL...

3rd...His long ball is just beautiful..

Bottom Line : If he has learned the Al Saunders system and feels comfortable...i dont see why he wont start honestly...And yes...he is almost similar to Ben Roethlisberger

Bob,

I see that you continue to cite Campbell's completion percentage as argument for his accuracy. Although that is sometimes a good indicator accuracy, I don't think it always proves that a qb is accurate. Many of Campbell's throws were dumpoffs and his deeper throws were to guys who were WIDE open (these balls just need to be thrown in the guys area, not over the shoulder or ahead of them). These are throws that almost any average qb can make. When I look at accuracy I want to see the qb put the ball where the receiver can pick up y.a.c., make tough throws in traffic, or throw a nice deep out pattern.

Also it is definitely a good thing that he is looking to different recievers, you would hope that all qbs at this level would, but it is important to see how quickly he gets through his progressions.

I don't mean to be so pessimistic, but I do have some concern over Campbell. I have not forgotten the way he played before his senior year.

What strikes me most watching that is how much Auburn's offense resembles the extremely restrictive offense Gibbs was running the last two years. Many of his passes are rollouts to the right, almost all of them are off of play action. Short, high percentage throws, taking advantage of the defense's focus on the running game.

As for Campbell himself, on the positive side, he shows good pocket prescence. He doesn't get rattled by pressure, has decent mobility and can buy himself time. His size makes him hard to take down if you don't get a good hit on him.

On the negative side, he has an awkward throwing motion. At times he almost looks like a pitcher throwing a baseball. He floats a whole lot of air under the ball. In the NFL, a lot of those passes will be picked off. Most of his completions in this game are to receivers who are ridiculously wide open, due to defensive breakdowns created by the dominance of Auburn's running game. In the NFL, that will never be the case. He turns the ball over twice, at the end of the first half on an INT in the end zone, and at the beginning of the second half on a fumble in Auburn territory. He could have very easily handed the game to TN if they could have capitalized on those mistakes.

I can see why a scout would like him from a physical standpoint, due to his size and decent (but not great) mobility. However, from a passing standpoint, he looks very, very average. He only attempted a few passes over 15 yards, and had mixed results. While he doesn't get nervous due to pressure from the pass rush, he does look very nervous trying to read the defense when he doesn't have a wide open receiver. Obviously the coaches at Auburn in his senior year got him to play in a very disciplined way within their system, asking him only to do what he was capable of, and not asking him to win games for them. The announcers mention a previous game where he "put the team on his shoulders" as if it was as stunning development. He doesn't lead the team down the field, or make the critical plays to win the game. He just hangs in there and does his best, while the running game and defense were undoubtedly pounding the opposition into submission.

I'm no expert, but I would never in a million years look at this game and see a first round QB. It is obvious however, why Gibbs would have been interested in him, because the way Auburn was running their offense is very similar to Gibbs's offense from the past two years. Campbell manages it effectively, getting away from pressure, dinking and dunking it to open receivers while the defense is dead set on stopping the run...almost identical to what Brunell has been doing. The play action rollout we ran last year ad naseum with Brunell to Cooley or Sellers is run almost exactly the same way and with the same frequency by Auburn in this game.

It looks to me like Gibbs drafted him for his old offense. Now that we have Saunders, we do not have the QB to run his style. Campbell is not it. I think we're going to continue to struggle this year one way or the other. Either we try to run Saunders's style of offense and get constantly let down by our QBs, or Gibbs reigns Saunders in and we just try a slightly tweaked, "new and improved" ball control, scoring control offense like we have been the past two years, which will face many of the same problems.

Did anyone kinda feel like we were watching the Skins offense in those clips? Bootlegs and curl patterns.

I'd have to agree with Gibbs assessment (not that I would question him in the first place). He's smart and accurate. How many college quarterbacks throw the ball out of bounds? I was very impressed with that aspect. He wasn't trying to keep the play alive by running around like rookies do. If it not there, he throws it away and goes onto the next play.

He shuffles well in the pocket and can sense pressure behind him. He has deceptive speed. I think Gibbs calls it escapability. He has just enough to get away from defenders when he has to.

I think JC throws a nice long ball. Both were a little underthrown but his receivers were wide open. I'd rather him have a bit of an underthrow and have the receiver slow down to catch it than an overthrow and the receiver has no chance to catch it.

Very impressed with the COLLEGE Jason Campbell. This guy looked pretty good to me in college. He's been learning for over a year now in a pros. Imagine what he has improved on.

What strikes me most watching that is how much Auburn's offense resembles the extremely restrictive offense Gibbs was running the last two years. Many of his passes are rollouts to the right, almost all of them are off of play action. Short, high percentage throws, taking advantage of the defense's focus on the running game.

Damn, you beat me by a post!:)

I only watched the first half, but here goes:

I would parrot what a lot have said already; I was impressed with his decision making other than the end of the first half and the one screen pass he tried to force on a heavily covered back. However, that throw does show he has confidence in his ability to squeeze the throw in there. He's made a couple throws right on the money into tight coverage.

His deep balls are a little inaccurate, I didn't really see him hit anyong in stride. His short to intermediate throws were very accurate though. I think he's at his best when its a play-action pass.

More later....

Did anyone kinda feel like we were watching the Skins offense in those clips? Bootlegs and curl patterns.

One of the reasons we picked him, probably. His biggest criticism is that he did what he did with 2 first-round RBs in the backfield. Well, now he's got a 1500 yard back and a capable backup RB in Betts. Lets see what he does with that!! :cheers:

im no scout but i would say the thing that stood out to me the most was his decision making abilities. with exception to the end of the first half he was very sound with the football. oh and thank you for the highlights.

Sounds like Gibbs talking!

Campbell seemed to me to have very good awareness in the pocket. His arm strength was decent, but hopefully it has improved since he's ben here. Very accurate though, and his run speed isn't great, but he has good acceleration. I was impressed out how well he performs the fake handoffs and play actions. Reminded me of Brunell in the sense of accuracy, knowing when the play is breaking down, and wether to run or simply throw the ball away. Campbell also does a good job of finding the open man. He looked a little shaky on the deep passes, but that has probably improved as well. He also looked very, very calm too, wasn't rushing anything. I think his similarity to Brunell and ability to distribute the ball is why Gibbs drafted him. I am looking forward to when Campbell does finally start, as he looks like the franchise QB we've been waiting for. I don't want to get my hopes up until he plays in an NFL game, but I can't wait to see how he looks during training camp and preseason.

Thanks for posting these links BTW.

Well here goes.

He does make good decisions with the ball

He seems very comfortable in the pocket

He has elusiveness written all over him

However

Is it me or his balls seem to float a lot

Not even close to the zip say a "Ramsey" would put on the ball

Can he adjust to the NFL speed because lets face it the corners in college are dead slow compared to the ones he will face.

I have to be honest here. To think we traded as much as we did for him with Ramsey still on the roster, I just don't see it. I guess that is why Gibbs is a HOF coach and I am not even a coach. Lets just hope Gibbs have found a guy that will be with us for the next 10 years and will have a few SB rings to show his grandkids.

Archived