Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout Jason Campbell Yourself! (Video Highlights Within)Merged

bobzmuda

There seems to be a lot of parrotting of what Jason Campbell's strengths and weaknesses are. While I have my own opinions, I decided to let you make your own informed decision.

That's right, you have an opportunity to be your own NFL scout now by evaluating Jason Campbell's performance in the 2005 SEC Championship Game. That game was a re-match of Auburn and Tennessee. Auburn destroyed Tennessee in the first game so they were fired up coming into the game for some revenge.

I've compiled every rush attempt (excluding QB sneaks) and pass attempt from Jason Campbell from that game (bad plays and all) so you can quickly make your own preliminary evaluation of Campbell.

Before we get to that though let's review what others have to say about Campbell.

Joe Gibbs: http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15382

My impression is that he's very accurate," Gibbs said. "I think he's going to be a guy that can really roam with the football. He's going to make plays with his feet. I think he has a sense of what the pocket is. He'll slide. He's going to be hard to sack because he's so big. We've seen a lot out of him. Now he needs to play."

NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/campbell_jason

Well-built athlete with a tall, basketball player's style frame … Has a very strong throwing arm and quick feet to avoid pressure, but is better suited throwing out of the pocket … Sometimes loses accuracy and velocity throwing on the move, as he does not set his feet properly to put all of his force behind those tosses … Still, for a player of his size, he shows good mobility.

Made excellent progress in most areas of his game over the last year … Does a nice job of carrying out fakes and has a quick, high release with the strength to get the ball down field … When he rolls out of the pocket, he will sometimes hold the ball low and exposed, resulting in costly fumbles … Still needs to show better judgement, but has the power behind his throws to thread the ball in a crowd.

Is developing good toughness in the pocket and no longer looks for a rush lane or to hold on to the ball too long when his primary targets are covered … Used to lock on to his main target too much, but coach Al Borges showed him that with patience, he does a much better job of scanning the field or taking hits stepping up in the pocket … His touch on his long ball has improved quite a bit, but he still needs to work on his underneath throws.

In 2004, Campbell had very good success with the deep outs, fades and posts … Shows better timing and the ability to give his receivers a chance to compete for the ball than he did in the past … Does a good job maneuvering when forced out of the pocket, but is better standing in the pocket than on the roll out, as he is more effective when he has a chance to time his throws.

Still has not fully grasped the mental aspect of calling his own game yet, and will need to have the plays called for him until he can prove that he can handle play-calling on his own … Needs to work on some fundamentals, especially his feet in his pass set, but he has the quickness to get back from center … Made more sound decisions in 2004 than he did in the past, but he still must improve in reading coverages … His natural athletic skills are what makes him an intriguing prospect, but understand that this is a player that has had to digest four different offensive systems during his four years in college.

Scouts, Inc.: http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=1972823

Arm Strength (B) : Not elite but strong enough to make all the NFL throws. Better zip when throwing right.

Escape Ability (B-) : Is a smooth athlete with above average foot quickness. A scrambler but not a runner.

Quick Set Up (B+) : Shows good quickness in his drops, long legs and gets a deep drop because of stride.

Accuracy Long (D) : Continues to stand out as a problem. The deeper the throw the less consistent he is.

Accuracy Short (B) : At his best working short-to-intermediate zones. Shows good touch and timing.

Locate 2nd Receiver (D+) : Improved but still not good. Doesn't see entire field, misses too many open WRs.

Running Ability (C+): Good scrambler but not a big threat to run. Lacks explosive top-end speed and elusiveness.

Quickness of Delivery (B-) : One of the areas he's most improved. Much more compact and has a high release point.

Judgment (B-) : Doesn't see entire field or make a lot of big plays, but has really developed into a caretaker.

Poise (B) : Doesn't seem to get over-excited. Also has become much less volatile in face of pass rush.

And the highlights!

First Half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bd7BoF5zbY

Second Half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPthlhGb54

After viewing, I'd like to see your own rough scouting report.

THE HUDDLE REPORT

by Drew Boylhart

SR Staff Writer

November 2004

Jason Campbell QB Auburn

Strengths

Jason is going to be one of the surprise QB’s of this draft. He has excellent size and arm strength to go along with a quiet style of leadership that is almost Montana-like. He is doing an excellent job of reading defenses; he reacts and feels the pressure in the pocket with a calmness that is eerie. There is no panic in this kid. He can make all the throws with good velocity and I believe he could run any kind of offense that you could throw at him. He does an excellent job of reading defenses and he has good mental toughness.

Needs to Improve

The scouts are underrating Jason because some big time players surround him. This is a mistake that is often done to college players who play on good teams and do not have a flashy playing style. Jason needs for his college PR people to market him better.

Bottom Line

Jason does have good players around him, but he still has to perform for the team to be successful. As soon as a defense puts eight men up on the line, Jason completes passes all over the field. Then, of course, they start to run those two RB’s and that’s when the defense gets into problems. If Jason does not perform, the RB’s have a harder time running -- it’s as simple as that. Jason has no ego to get in the way of his team performing. What I love the most about Jason is his ability to compete with a quiet style of leadership that is very effective. There is no one on that field who does not believe that Jason is the leader and yet I get the feeling that Jason never has to tell them that. He has improved every year and the players around him know that. Jason will be a big success in the NFL. His style, arm strength, pocket awareness and leadership qualities all translate very well to the next level.

Thanks for posting Bob.

I saw that game live when it happened. I remember asking some fellow 'skins fans at the time if there was any way we could get this guy... but it was just a dream or so I thought.

The 100000+ fans in Neyland stadium were happiest of all when JC moved on.

I can't watch the videos now but I'll check them out tonight

He reminded me of Ben R in his rookie year he didnt make a lot of mistakes, he managed the hell out of that game, and he ran only when he had too. I really think we have a franchise QB in Jason. I really see him do what Ben did his rookie year. We have a good running game, good receivers, and a tough "D" that should help carry him until he is ready for his break out. Damn I cant wait til September.

I was impressed by his pocket presence. He seems to really feel the pressure, even when it's coming from the backside. He stayed calm under pressure and made good decisions. His throws were good and catchable, but he could have led receivers a little better., I was surprised by his release. It is much quicker than I thought it was. All in all he seems to make all the throws, makes good decisions and doesn't seem to get rattled. After his fumble and self recovery, he came right back with a nice throw. Only time will tell for sure, but he definately seems to have the tools. At least he displayed them in this game.

That was obviously one of his better games, apparently, but it was hard not to like what you saw.

Great pocket presence and good decision-making. His balls had good touch and he seemed to spread it around very well.

Me likey.:dallasuck

I was impressed by his pocket presence. He seems to really feel the pressure, even when it's coming from the backside. He stayed calm under pressure and made good decisions. His throws were good and catchable, but he could have led receivers a little better.

Spot on. It's going to be very important for him to lead receivers. He only seemed to lead them in the fade routes. In his underneath routes, the WR seemed to catch the ball behind themselves quite a few times. But I am definitely excited about JC throwing the football for us.

im no scout but i would say the thing that stood out to me the most was his decision making abilities. with exception to the end of the first half he was very sound with the football. oh and thank you for the highlights.

But you ARE a scout. Your opinion is just as valid as any other internet site. In fact, your opinion might even be MORE valid because you may have just seen Jason Campbell play more than most of the internet scouting sites.

Part of my reason to post this was to combat the ENDLESS parrotting of quotes from some of these internet scouting sites do. It's amazing how the hype machine works. Jason Campbell is labelled as a dumb QB that can't read defenses. I've seen most of his college games and I've even reviewed several of his games from his senior year and I just don't see where one can come up with that impression. Yet he wins the SEC Offensive Player of the Year and is a reach at 25.

In any event, I'm glad you enjoyed and hope you feel better informed about the Redskins future at QB.

Thanks, bobzmuda. Great name btw.

I love the calmness and grace he shows on the field. Doug Williams used to be the same way. very cool under fire. '87 playoff game against the vikes, Doug was seen yawning in the huddle of the 4th quarter.

Jason looks to always be in control. Love it.

Thanks again! :cheers:

Thanks nice video. ON the trick play first half when he decides to scramble it appears that one of the receivers is completely wide open deep in the middle of the field and no defender within 15 yards. Maybe its a vols player, I could not be certain.. anyone else see this?

That was obviously one of his better games, apparently, but it was hard not to like what you saw.

Great pocket presence and good decision-making. His balls had good touch and he seemed to spread it around very well.

Me likey.:dallasuck

I struggled to decide which game to show so that you could get as complete a picture as possible. In all honesty, however, he didn't really have any bad games his senior year. Auburn's worst game was probably against LSU, but even then he led a dramatic 4th quarter comeback against the defending National Champions.

Perhaps the Alabama game would have worked as well, but it was a bunch of running in the first half, and then 3 explosive passing series in the 2nd half and then playing the clock.

I picked the UT SEC CG because it had passing throughout, was on a neutral field, and featured a re-match so the opposing defense would be somewhat clued in to what Auburn likes to do.

he does seem to have some accuracy problems from the videos. Overall he does posess poise and does not run as often as I thought he did. I think the year off would have helped his accuracy problems anyways.

I don't know if I'd characterize it as a "problem" since he completed nearly 80% of his passes that game and 70% on the season, but he seemed to be just a little off on some of his throws.

Accuracy Long (D) : Continues to stand out as a problem. The deeper the throw the less consistent he is.

This is the only thing that concerns me. If Jason Makes the same throws that Mark made against DallASS wk.2, does Santana catch those 2 balls?? I know he's an excellent route runner and ball adjuster, but I'm just not sure...

Just feeling slightly hypothetical this morning...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

It is very hard to scout Jason Campbell from that video. Clearly, you picked one of his best games and it is hard to see receivers downfield, which makes it very hard to see if he is making the right reads. That being said, I think he did some good things in that game (i.e. he had good pocket prescence, decent accuracy, and capitalized on defensive breakdowns). However, it is apparent that Tennessee was keyed on the run, as were most of Auburn's opponents that year, and their pass defense was not very good. I don't think that the watching the game solidifies anything. Jason Campbell was bad and nearly benched before his senior year when Al Borges (a very qb friendly coach) took over the offense. I think that Jason Campbell is capable of being a good qb, if he has enough talent around him. I see him as the type of qb who will manage the game and make good decisions. I do not think he is the type of qb that elevates the players around him, but he can be effective in the right situation. I also think that the 'skins are handling him very well and putting him in the best position to succeed.

First time ive really seen him play. The first thing that stuck out to me was, he really is so calm in the pocket, has great pocket pressence. He never takes his eyes off the recievers, and just slides up or over. Thats a great asset to have, that kind of pocket pressence and calm under pressure. The second thing I noticed is he usually doesnt put much behind his throws, and at first I thought he just didnt have the arm for it. But when he really needs to, you see him step up and really gun one, so he has the arm, he just usually doesnt use it. Third, hes good at throwing the deep ball. Which is perfect for Moss and our speed guys. :) last, I really liked how, even though he can run, you never saw him run in that game unless a play broke down completely(or was a designed run). Hes not Vick in the sense it doesnt take a whole lot to convince him to take off, and I think a big part of that is his pocket pressence. He doesnt feel paniced at all, so he stays in the pocket, until hes absolutely certain there is nothing downfield. That makes him very dangerous at those times.

I agree with pretty much everything's that has been posted thus far. Clearly he has good pocket presence and can step up and make throws and under pressure. However, I think the "accuracy" problems reside more with not hitting receivers in stride (ie. throws were behind receivers in the middle of the field) rather than missing receivers entirely (that's why he still had that 70% completion rate). This may stem from being slightly late on the release and with the throw. That sort of thing, though, is something that can be fixed through repetition and understanding of the offense. Overall, I'm impressed with his poise and playmaking abilities.

Excellent thread, Bob!

I thought he showed great poise, and is a lot faster on the run than I thought he'd be. While he's certainly no Fran Tarkenton, he's far better in that area than Brunell, or Ramsey.

While he seemed to stick a few balls in tight spots, I thought he put a little too much air under some of them. Also, the throws with air under them seemed to be the most inconsistent. I wouldn't describe Campbell as an accurate passer.

Overall, he looks "OK". Definitely an NFL caliber QB, but not elite. I wouldn't look at him, based on this video, and say "He's a first round lock."

The things I'm most concerned about are:

1. Accuracy - is that a liability with quicker NFL DBs?

2. Arm strength - can his ball keep up with Santana, and again, with quicker DBs, will he be more prone to throwing picks on an out if the ball doesn't get there fast enough?

Archived