Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

seriously think about this before you respond.

Ryman of the North

DO WE EVEN NEED TO DRAFT THIS YEAR?

Ok point 1-we dont draft terribly well after the second round anyway.

Point 2- We havent just signed Old vets near the end of the line instead we signed young guys with lots of upside. free agency was like an awesome draft for us this year.

Point3-If we trade Ramsey for abraham our only weakness is depth at corner and one more dominant Olineman who are tough spots to draft for anyway.

I am normally a huge Draft guy and I believe that bulding thru the draft is the best way LONG term, however, Gibbs has always been awesome at evaluating NFL talent and at trading and signing guys who will fit (2 best trade in NFL history are Schroeder for Lachey and Oliphant for Byner.)

God its good to be a skins fan again.

We still need some young dlinemen, and developmental backup guys. I think the balance of free agency to draft importance is tilted too heavily towards free agency. Shows either a lack of patience or a lack of faith in their ability to evaluate college guys.

damn i guess u forget about tom brady, jerry rice and all the other hof who fell near the bottom of their drafts. i mean i would not want any of those players. Drafts are were u get HOF that potentially change a franchsie for years to come. Maybe for the good or the bad of the team.

Okay. Well. This whole thinking thing at this time of the morning, ( MST thankyou), is a bit of a request,( Yeah. Yeah. What do you mean this time of am? ;) ), but I can give it a try. :)

Then again..... :yawnee:

The guys being signed, for the most part, are pretty young themselves. Consider if the Skins had drafted them. Most would be coming into their own over the past year or so. Still have alot of football left in them, ( read future). I like the idea of drafting some players as well, some homegrown talent if you will. That and it sure makes draft day a little less boring.

damn i guess u forget about tom brady, jerry rice and all the other hof who fell near the bottom of their drafts. i mean i would not want any of those players. Drafts are were u get HOF that potentially change a franchsie for years to come. Maybe for the good or the bad of the team.

Right, along with all the other late round picks that are huge sucess stories. I have often wondered this myself: why not draft the guys you would normally draft in the late rounds in the first round? I mean, Tom Brady and Jerry Rice MAY be exceptions, but why take chances? I think you may have revolutionized the entire drafting process.

To the point of this thread. I agree, why draft? As long as we can fill in some O-line depth and CB depth, go for it. If we trade our 2nd rounder for Abraham, we will have got a player in return who should be better than most rookie projects. This makes sense to me.

I'm a big proponent in the draft because finding a 3rd rounder, like Cooley for example, is far cheaper than going out and paying every free agent 10 mill guaranteed money and 5.5 mill per season. You have to have some young, lower priced guys on your team in order to not have to worry about restructures and getting money back from guys like Lavar every year. If our players would have said no, we would have been screwed. I'd rather play it safe so you don't have to rely on those type of things.

But I can understand the other side too..... as long as we are not setting ourselves up for the dreaded cap hell that all of us have heard about for so long.

You need a balance between Free agency and draft. The lower rounds of the draft can yield players who can contribute to the team while only consuming 300K or so of the salary cap. I think the 2nd,3rd and 4th round are the most important rounds as you can get starting caliber players for cheap. Smoot, jansen, betts, cooley, dockrey are good examples.

DO WE EVEN NEED TO DRAFT THIS YEAR?

Ok point 1-we dont draft terribly well after the second round anyway.

Point 2- We havent just signed Old vets near the end of the line instead we signed young guys with lots of upside. free agency was like an awesome draft for us this year.

Point3-If we trade Ramsey for abraham our only weakness is depth at corner and one more dominant Olineman who are tough spots to draft for anyway.

I am normally a huge Draft guy and I believe that bulding thru the draft is the best way LONG term, however, Gibbs has always been awesome at evaluating NFL talent and at trading and signing guys who will fit (2 best trade in NFL history are Schroeder for Lachey and Oliphant for Byner.)

God its good to be a skins fan again.

And the last and final:

We'll score some points in the up coming season

We don't have any depth at pretty much any position--espeacially OL/DL/LB/CB, depending on what they do with Clark and Taylor's trial out come;

We better win the SB in two years, no I don't see that happening, but if we don't then we'll be about 40m over the salary cap.

If it takes SB aspirations to keep you as a fan then you aren't--at least a real Redskin fan.

I see Philly standing in the way and possibly NY Giants/ Panthers of any SB

Our spending habits are not

Randle EL won't see the end of his contract...not to mention some of those other big tickets that's out there...so we'll end up paying folks salaries that are no longer currently with us---"agaain".

So let's hold off those SB thoughts for a while like 30yrs.

THE LA Curse

Archived