Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

seriously think about this before you respond.

Ryman of the North

I see, you're telling us this from experience with TO, right? And for the last time, why is it "buying" free agents when it's the Redskins? :jerk:

And to answer the main question, I think drafting is important but not crucial, meaning that it's okay to surrender some picks every year, as long as you replenish the youth pool either with younger free agents or undrafted rookies.

Give me a break. You always twist people's word around like this? It's buying a free agent because you're giving them money for christ's sake and buying their services towards the team. The Eagles buy free agents. Everyone does. Nowhere have I ever criticized the Redskins for doing that. But to think that you don't need to draft is absolutely ludicrous. It builds depth and future stars. Why don't we all just surrender our draft picks and buy free agents? Screw the NFL Draft. That's for cheapskates like the Eagles and Cardinals. :rolleyes:

:yikes: I hear and feel all of you all. I'm a real Redskin fan....but realistic SB aspirations are hopeless....I still see Philly/ Panthers/Giants and maybe even Dallas standing in the way, with the biggest being Philly. Why? There way under the salary cap, first off.

Hey, in 2yrs we'll be 40 million dollars over the cap. can you explain that? And most importantly how we're going to fix it? So we're going to have to clean out almost the whole team in 2 yrs.And we'll still be paying players that are not even on our team" whadup wit dat?"

If some one goes down on defense besides the safety position, we're cooked, and right now we have yet to sign Clark.

Other than Randle El's mouth he seems to be a good signing but he will not see the end of his contract, in 4yrs he'll be 30. But he does have a ton of talent in KR/PR and has been the only one NCAA history to do what he has done....you can check for yourself.

I don't have time to go into it (his college stats) right now. But I know one thing, he talks a lot and first off not a good sign....some of the core Redskins must have been thinking to themselves like what the hell is he talking about. Santana, didn't talk that much. So he better put up higher numbers and a greater performance than Santana. I already don't like EL.

But we better not have someone go down OL/DL/CB and Brunell better not go down. Cause we have absolutely no depth besides RB. Normally when a QB (2d string) hits the market he doesn't last long. But we can't even get a 4th round pick for PR....come on now.

And then its the LA jinx thats going to be aroound for the next 30 yrs. So if it will make you sleep better tonight, then I'll say it: Okay, we're going to the SB in 2yrs, but only in your dreams. Now when you wake up the only thing you'll be reminded of is the Deon, Stubblefield and B.Smith days. :yikes:

Play-offs ahh yeah but a SB win in the next 30yrs :shutup:

Well I would hope Randel El talked a lot, it was a press conference... We have plenty of depth all around our defense except maybe CB. Williams has proven that our backups can start if needed (Marshall, Pierce, Clark).

And to everyone using Jerry Rice as an example of a late round pick. He was drafted in the FIRST round. We should stay put with the picks we have to pick up quality depth and maybe a project or two late in the draft that we can develop. FA is great but it's expensive and we'll need to offset some of the costs with homegrown guys.

Give me a break. You always twist people's word around like this? It's buying a free agent because you're giving them money for christ's sake and buying their services towards the team. The Eagles buy free agents. Everyone does. Nowhere have I ever criticized the Redskins for doing that. But to think that you don't need to draft is absolutely ludicrous. It builds depth and future stars. Why don't we all just surrender our draft picks and buy free agents? Screw the NFL Draft. That's for cheapskates like the Eagles and Cardinals. :rolleyes:

Yeah!!! :thumbsup:

cheap ****s...:laugh:

pLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE TITLE AND THE FIRST DAMN SENTENCE!

WHAT I ASKED WAS DO WE NEED TO DRAFT THIS YEAR?!

NOw some of you obviously thought before responding and came up with excellent arguemenst for both side and I thank you.

heres my own thoughts after reading the replies.

1-yeah we may find some potentiual gems especially with JG at the helm, he is great at finding guys who fit his sytems but GW and Al suanders will have to have input as well.

2- If JG wants to trade every pick and keeps coming up with guys He knows will fit his systems then Im Ok with that as well. his track record is pretty good actually better in FA than the draft.

3- for all our succsess with late pics we have had far more failures, now maybe JG will solve that but we have had less Free agent messups than draft mistakes even with JG at the helm.

The Schroeder and Oliphant trades got rid of drafted failures for proven NFL starters which was my point!

Im not saying bail on the draft every year but in a year when we have no first rounder and a late second rounder why not trade for talent that has been proven? Ramsey and a second and fourth for abraham would solidify our Dline leaving us only short one DT away from awesome on Dline.

for the skins fan who think we wont win the SB for years and yet questions my loyalty to the skins? get a life NOrval is gone Gibbs is back and he didnt come back to lose.

Im not saying bail on the draft every year but in a year when we have no first rounder and a late second rounder why not trade for talent that has been proven? Ramsey and a second and fourth for abraham would solidify our Dline leaving us only short one DT away from awesome on Dline.

Well, first off, we don't have a 4th this year or next year. :doh:

Second, despite appearances, there is a salary cap, and there is a limit on how much you can do in FA. I bet we pretty much done the limit we can do in free agency. I really question we can give financially what Abraham wants right now.

Third, to more directly answer your question, you need the young guys on your team for depth and because they are cheap. I mean, we could use some young depth at CB and the DL, and perhaps on the O-line.

Also, some positions are hard or expensive to solve in FA. DL in particular.

Jason

You use your draft to get some depth and allow those selectees to learn from the veterans for a bit, then step in should they be needed for injury replacement or other purposes. Don't flush away those draft picks. You never can have too many players.

guys, think about what you are saying . . . the draft brings young, AFFORDABLE depth . . . you might not geta proven player, but it's a way to bring people into the system, mold them a bit, and have a fall-back in case of injury . . . you can't just go out and rely on signing people, if only for the fact that proven players cost more and demand more . . . look at the o-line: samuels and jansen are core 'skins, and draft picks . . . you gotta have some of them . . . granted, danny does things a bit differently, but saying you just don't need the draft is thinking like 2000 all over again . . .

guys, think about what you are saying . . . the draft brings young, AFFORDABLE depth . . . you might not geta proven player, but it's a way to bring people into the system, mold them a bit, and have a fall-back in case of injury . . . you can't just go out and rely on signing people, if only for the fact that proven players cost more and demand more . . . look at the o-line: samuels and jansen are core 'skins, and draft picks . . . you gotta have some of them . . . granted, danny does things a bit differently, but saying you just don't need the draft is thinking like 2000 all over again . . .

SteelerSkins, thank you for being the voice of reason here. Again, DO NOT flush away those draft picks just because we've had -- ON PAPER -- a pretty good free agency season.

One thing people here seem to forget is that the draft isn't about the upcomming year, it is about the years after that. These are the guys who could develop into your starters of the future. Certainly, it is how Pittsburgh has done things, and it is how you compete with losing free agents.

Also, you never know when a key player will go down, so developing good depth is essential.

Jason

Archived