Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thrash/Patten speculation

Byner21

I found the quote below interesting, and it makes me wonder a) about whether these guys are at risk of being cut, and B) a little bit about David Patten's attitude.

I hope the 'skins find a way to keep Thrash, and I think they will especially now since a new CBA has been reached. I'd also like to see what Patten can do next season, as he had some moments before his injury. He's just been mouthing a lot since they put him on IR. Ultimately, I think he's a good fit as a #3 receiver, and I hope the 'skins keep Thrash as a #4 or #5.

I think their WR situation is very much up in the air right now, so perhaps they're hesitant to make any promises to anybody at this point.

"Ken Landphere, the agent for James Thrash, said the reserve wide receiver was not among the Redskins who were asked to restructure. Thrash earned $665,000 last year with a $125,000 signing bonus and is scheduled to earn $1.1 million in 2006.

Wide receiver David Patten said the same. Patten signed a five-year,$13.5 million deal with a $3.5 million signing bonus. 'They didn't come to me,' Patten said. 'And I didn't volunteer. Would you volunteer to give your money back?'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/08/AR2006030802389.html

I think that's due in part to Patten not being a part of the team that won 5 straight to go to the Playoffs. He didn't really get a chance to mesh with the skins. He came here for a payday, and he wants his payday. Although it says something when the solid contributers were willing to restructure and he was not....

In reference to him mouthing off about bring on IR...I kinda like that. He was saying I was ready to go, I wish I could've contributed for the final few games/playoffs....we sure could've used him then; but when he was placed on IR we had a need to use his roster spot, so not much we could do about it at this point.

Not the quote you "want to hear" from Patten, but he's being honest. Thrash will stay, Patten will probably be cut (and it has nothing to do with this quote). However, was the 3.5 mill already paid? Or is it paid out over his entire contract? That has more to do with whether or not he'll be cut than anything.

neither patten nor thrash are in danger of being cut,patten has talent that wasnt prevelant last year becuase of injuries, thrash is an excelent utility guy and a character redskin, if anyone has to wory about being cut it would be ethan albright

Based on the interview with Patton yesterday it doesn't appear he's going anywhere. I think he's ready to be a big time addition to our WR corps. Just needs to be healthy for the whole year and we'll see some real good production from him. He'll be even more productive I think when we add a WR this offseason like Bruce/Givens/Randall El.

Moss/Patton/(one of 3 FA I mentioned) and Thrash as #4?! Looks pretty stout to me.

I don't think Patten was asked to retructure basically because doing so really wouldn't make things any different. I do believe he'll still be here as a solid #3, with Thrash as the #4 ST guy.

Unless we don't get a #2, in which case everyone from #3 on down unfortunately gets a bump up the food chain.

I want to keep Patten. I know he will have a solid impact. He has a realistic attitude, and from that interview, didn't seem too cross to me.

at least we won't ever have to worry about him being a lier, he will tell us straight up....unlike someone else (Arrington) who said that he'd retire before he played for another team.

A guy like Thrash is great value both last year and this year. A 3rd WR and a guy that plays on ALL special teams units. And a solid performer on all of the units... and a veteran. They aren't going to come any cheaper than $1M :laugh:

Patten didn't need to restructure because his contract really isn't an impediment to begin with. A $3.5 signing bonus is literally peanuts.. as would his salary be in the first couple of seasons. When you didn't get very much money to begin with... you aren't inclined to give it up so easily :)

neither patten nor thrash are in danger of being cut,patten has talent that wasnt prevelant last year becuase of injuries, thrash is an excelent utility guy and a character redskin, if anyone has to wory about being cut it would be ethan albright

albright? tell me you're being sarcastic. he just signed an extension about 2 months ago, and is a lot more valuable than you give him credit for. he is a long snapper, which doesn't get a lot of recognition, but he is the best in the game at it. he will never be cut, i'm confident he'll retire as a skin.

patten at worst is a solid wideout and would make a valuable third. thrash is so far beyond his prime it's rediculous but he is a stand-out charecter guy and as the team gets younger and adds more "unfamilliar" players it's good to have a real chaecter guy like thrash around

Now that we are looking at two WR's; is it possible that Patten is on the bubble? Thrash is too important on ST. Thoughts?

I agree that Patten will be on the bubble if Randel-El and Lloyd come to D.C. I highly doubt if the team is going to continue to pay Patten that type of money to be the 4th receiver, especially considering how much money would have been invested into the triumvirate of Moss, Randel-El and Lloyd.

So in conclusion, IMO, if both Randel-El and Lloyd are Redskins, we say goodbye to Patten and Taylor Jacobs.

I don't see patton or Thrash on the bubble if we get El and Lloyd. Besides upgrading WR position the idea is to build depth. The only WR's we have that are in danger of being cut are AB and TJ. Thrash is a valuable ST player and utility WR. Patton has great route running ability and consistant hands. We just didn't get to see much of that because of his injury.

Patton has great route running ability and consistant hands. We just didn't get to see much of that because of his injury.

We didn't see too much of it before his injury, either, to be honest...I seem to remember a lot of dropped passes 10 yards out that would have/could have been 1st downs. Could have been good defense, though, as he was rarely wide open on those drops...

We should cut thrash if we sign Antwaan Randle El.

#1 Reciever: Santana Moss

#2 Reciever: Brandon Lloyd

#3 Reciever: David Patten/Antwaan Randle El

#4 Reciever: Antwaan Randle El/David Patten

#5 Undrafted Rookie

#6 Undrafted Rookie

Do you honestly think Randle El would leave his championship team to compete as a 3/4 reciever? This guy thinks he's a #1 and WILL be starting somewhere next year, just hopefully not here. The Bears need help at WR and he's from the area so I honestly think that's where he'll end up. I think Randle El's visit is more of a backup plan for us if we can't get Lloyd, and a way for him to drive up his price. Win/win for both parties.

I completely disagree. Randle El probably won't end up here - he WANTS to be a #1, even though his numbers would translate to a #3 here - but there's no way Gibbs lets go of Thrash, he's his boy... kind of a Cartwright/Sellers thing there.

And keep in mind, we haven't cut Jacobs yet. They may be content getting Lloyd and having Patten/Thrash as a #3.

BD

Archived