Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins are 13.5 mil over with the Waiver of Arrington!!(John Clayton)

michael_33

Basically, here's what you're looking at if the CBA goes through and the cap goes up to $105 million, we'll call it.

If we're at 13.5 million over after the Lavar deal, that means our cap number stands at $108 million.

Cut everyone previously discuss except for Ramsey, since you'd hold onto him for possible trade value, and you save about 8 million more.

(Payroll at $100 million)

The restructured contracts for Brunell, Jansen, Portis, etc. are voided due to the CBA extension. However, because of the extension we can automatically convert bonus money to guaranteed money and amortize it. So we don't have to rework the contracts to get those benefits. The X factor is that I don't know exactly how much that saves. My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million.

(Payroll at $96 million)

The only thing you don't know is the formula for the "cash over cap" deal and if that would change some of the way we structure contracts. But I'd imagine given the optimal scenario we end up around $8-10 million under a new cap.

GREAT post! you need to send this one over to the other 982 threads :)

Basically, here's what you're looking at if the CBA goes through and the cap goes up to $105 million, we'll call it.

If we're at 13.5 million over after the Lavar deal, that means our cap number stands at $108 million.

Cut everyone previously discuss except for Ramsey, since you'd hold onto him for possible trade value, and you save about 8 million more.

The restructured contracts for Brunell, Jansen, Portis, etc. are voided due to the CBA extension. However, because of the extension we can automatically convert bonus money to guaranteed money and amortize it. So we don't have to rework the contracts to get those benefits. The X factor is that I don't know exactly how much that saves. My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million.

(Payroll at $96 million)

The only thing you don't know is the formula for the "cash over cap" deal and if that would change some of the way we structure contracts. But I'd imagine given the optimal scenario we end up around $8-10 million under a new cap.

very nice:applause:

But don't most of the restructures depend on the CBA not being extended?

I doubt anyone other than the front office, the involved players and agents know the answer to that question unfortunately. My guess would be that you are right, and that they have all agreed to restructure there contracts IF the CBA is not extended. Although I would imagine all of those numbers have been cruched already and are just waiting on word from New York.

Good point though, and everyone should keep it in mind.

This may be a dumb question, did Lavar receive his roster bonus of $6.5 million? If he is cut before earning the roster bonus of $6.5 million then that money would not be on the salary cap, right? Then add the $4 million he paid for his freedom. Did the Skins just save $10.5 million on the cap?

Don't forget, as good as this is, we need a good 3-5 mil to sign this year's draft class. We are on the right track, though.

Still, I'm sorry to see LA go. I liked him, and wish him success wherever he lands (as long as it's outside the NFC East).

Bram mentioned we are not sure how much this helps and when it all depends on the new cba rules.

Not sure he's completely right on that. We released LaVar prior to June 1. All the cap hit from any promised money is due now unless the new CBA removes this feature from consideration and simply always allows a team to split the hit. Otherwise, the hit should largely be considered the same in any case.

(Payroll at $96 million)

OfficerPX, this is the best post I've seen on the salary cap/CBA! You explained it so well that even a novice can understand it. As others have said, paste and copy this in the other 100 threads on this topic.

This may be a dumb question, did Lavar receive his roster bonus of $6.5 million? If he is cut before earning the roster bonus of $6.5 million then that money would not be on the salary cap, right? Then add the $4 million he paid for his freedom. Did the Skins just save $10.5 million on the cap?

No, his roster bonus was due in July. He simply will not get it, and the skins neither gain or lose in the matter. Stay with the 4.2 mil in cap savings.

Being a non - "capologist" I was thinking the same exact thing, or lets say "wishing".

No, his roster bonus was due in July. He simply will not get it, and the skins neither gain or lose in the matter. Stay with the 4.2 mil in cap savings.

I get that, but here is what I don't get. (rounding numbers for ease). Lavar was to have a $12 million cap value this year and was owed $6.5 million in July...oops just answered my own question, let me see if I got this correct.

Since Lavar's roster bonus was due in July it would have counted towards next years cap, not this year. Right?

Don't forget, as good as this is, we need a good 3-5 mil to sign this year's draft class. We are on the right track, though.

Still, I'm sorry to see LA go. I liked him, and wish him success wherever he lands (as long as it's outside the NFC East).

Unless we trade into the 1sr round, the impact of signing draft picks will be neglible.

Late 2nd roudners and lower generally do not command that much in signing bonus. And their "salaries" aren't that much higher than the lowest of the 51 on the roster.

So if we're 13.5 over now, and the CBA is approved at 105 mil, we would then be 3.5 over. A few minor cuts/restructures and we will be MAJOR players in the FA market.

How about we take advantage of this situation and get a few minor improvments by adding depth. Then continue doing that for the next 2 or 3 seasons? Cap Hell will never touch us then and its not like we HAVE to sign key players these next few seasons. Just add some depth and a few role players.

joe gibbs mentioned that he hopes for a cba agreement - to insure that the skins can be players in free agency. this sounds to me that they do have a plan in place to be well below the cap, if the cba is passed they will need to be well below the cap in order to lure in the free agents and also their draft picks. im pretty sure that they do have a good plan at this stage ,however what kind of depth would the team have if much at all? also why would a player want to restructure his contract if the cba is passed, as he can go to any other team and make more money. if the cba is not passed a whole lot of veterans on all teams had better start praying that another team will pick them up.

absolutely does not include the numerous reworks that were agreed upon in principle and will become even greater if the cap goes to 105-108 with the agreement later this week.

that would put the skins about 5 under.. lots of room to work with

Kickassssssss, the best news i seen yet :applause:

Archived