Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins are 13.5 mil over with the Waiver of Arrington!!(John Clayton)

michael_33

Updated: March 6, 2006, 12:59 AM ET

Arrington pays 'Skins to become free agent

LaVar Arrington has agreed to pay the Washington Redskins over $4 million in cash to get out of his contact with the team and become a free agent. The Redskins have therefore placed Arrington on waivers.

A team source said that the move would have been made irrespective of any delay in the waiver deadline Sunday evening.

Arrington had a $12.045 million cap number and was due a $6.5 million roster bonus. By taking the money, the Redskins will save approximately $4.2 million with his release. They entered Sunday $17.7 million over the salary cap.

In January, the NFL Players Association filed a formal complaint seeking disciplinary action against Carl Poston, Arrington's agent, for "neglect" in negotiating Arrington's contract near the end of the 2003 season, union and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The "neglect" had to do with Arrington's $6.5 million bonus.

Arrington did not see much playing time early in the 2005 season as he worked his way back from offseason knee surgery and became disgruntled over his diminished role. The three-time Pro Bowl linebacker regained his starting job against Philadelphia on Nov. 6.

Arrington played in 11 regular season games for Washington in 2005, recording 47 tackles. He also played in the team's two postseason games, and had 12 tackles.

Information from ESPN. com senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if we're 13.5 over now, and the CBA is approved at 105 mil, we would then be 3.5 over. A few minor cuts/restructures and we will be MAJOR players in the FA market.

with releasing Lavar, the reworks and the cap goes to 105 - we'd be sitting pretty.

I got the impression that if the CBA come to an agreement,that the portis deal would be the only current restructure that would be null/void...

Which would be great cause he would go back to his original contract,which would have 6 years remaining on it..!

Instead of it ending in 08'...?But I don't know?

Here's another question.

I'm sure everyone remembers the article from CPND stating all the moves that could get us close to 10 mil under the originally projected cap of 95 mil, but the flaw was the 30% rule. With a new CBA, there is no longer a 30% rule, correct? So whats to stop us from gauranteeing the money listed, cutting said players, and being potentially close to 20 mil under the cap???

Basically, here's what you're looking at if the CBA goes through and the cap goes up to $105 million, we'll call it.

If we're at 13.5 million over after the Lavar deal, that means our cap number stands at $108 million.

Cut everyone previously discuss except for Ramsey, since you'd hold onto him for possible trade value, and you save about 8 million more.

(Payroll at $100 million)

The restructured contracts for Brunell, Jansen, Portis, etc. are voided due to the CBA extension. However, because of the extension we can automatically convert bonus money to guaranteed money and amortize it. So we don't have to rework the contracts to get those benefits. The X factor is that I don't know exactly how much that saves. My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million.

(Payroll at $96 million)

The only thing you don't know is the formula for the "cash over cap" deal and if that would change some of the way we structure contracts. But I'd imagine given the optimal scenario we end up around $8-10 million under a new cap.

Basically, here's what you're looking at if the CBA goes through and the cap goes up to $105 million, we'll call it.

If we're at 13.5 million over after the Lavar deal, that means our cap number stands at $108 million.

Cut everyone previously discuss except for Ramsey, since you'd hold onto him for possible trade value, and you save about 8 million more.

(Payroll at $100 million)

The restructured contracts for Brunell, Jansen, Portis, etc. are voided due to the CBA extension. However, because of the extension we can automatically convert bonus money to guaranteed money and amortize it. So we don't have to rework the contracts to get those benefits. The X factor is that I don't know exactly how much that saves. My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million.

(Payroll at $96 million)

The only thing you don't know is the formula for the "cash over cap" deal and if that would change some of the way we structure contracts. But I'd imagine given the optimal scenario we end up around $8-10 million under a new cap.

Um, wow. Thanks for clearing that up AND making sense while doing so! Really helpful. So now it's just a "wait and see" on those converted bonuses. Here's to hoping for more caproom.

Archived