Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best President in the Last 50 years?

gchwood

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, cuz he chose not to do anything. He chose not to try to assassinate Bin Laden when he had him in sight. He also ran away and/or backed out when we had some soldiers killed in the Black Hawk Down scenario. The only reason 9/11 didn't happen during Clinton's time in Office was because the terrorists were doing all of their planning.

You are 100% wrong abou the Bin Laden thing. Clinton bombed Afghanistan in an effort to kill Osama Bin Laden. Next time you hear this from whatever Republican source you are using, know that they are history-revisionists preying on your lack of knowledge.

I guess your solution to the Mogadishu situation would be to get even more troops killed. You should realize that your reaction here is purely emotional, not logical. Perfectly understandable. Something tells me you would be more reluctant if you were to be the one held accountable for our troops' lives. Yes, Clinton made mistakes but these were very difficult decisions.

Anyhow, this is some of what I think made Clinton one of the great Presidents. Those of you who are about to attack my opinions, I hope you have compiled such a list about the President that you chose.

welfare reform

gays allowed in the military

one of the best economic periods in the history of the USA

reduced the deficit and converted it to a surplus

NAFTA

Brady Bill

assault weapons ban

helped move the IRA away from violence

non-partisan style in working with Nixon and other political adversaries

health plan

crime bill added 100,000 cops

last minimum wage increase was under Clinton

unemplyment dropped significantly

250,000 new jobs per month at times

children's health insurance program

tougher child-support enforcement

reached out to Governments we didn't communicate with

California Desert Protection act

EITC tax cut for lower-income working families

smaller government than either Bush or Reagan (gets exactly zero credit for that)

AIDS policy, large increase in funding

gllobal agreement on tarriffs and trade

tax deductability for college tuition

expanded IRA's

aid package to Mexico from ESF

improved, genuine, environmental protection acts

That's pretty much all in his first term. I've only begun to begin! :D

Note: I do not give Clinton full credit for everything listed here, nor do I think most of this stuff is unique to his Presidency. They are indicative of the direction the country was going in as opposed to 2006.

You are 100% wrong abou the Bin Laden thing. Clinton bombed Afghanistan in an effort to kill Osama Bin Laden. Next time you hear this from whatever Republican source you are using, know that they are history-revisionists preying on your lack of knowledge.

I guess your solution to the Mogadishu situation would be to get even more troops killed. You should realize that your reaction here is purely emotional, not logical. Perfectly understandable. Something tells me you would be more reluctant if you were to be the one held accountable for our troops' lives. Yes, Clinton made mistakes but these were very difficult decisions.

Anyhow, this is some of what I think made Clinton one of the great Presidents. Those of you who are about to attack my opinions, I hope you have compiled such a list about the President that you chose.

welfare reform

gays allowed in the military

one of the best economic periods in the history of the USA

reduced the deficit and converted it to a surplus

NAFTA

Brady Bill

assault weapons ban

helped move the IRA away from violence

non-partisan style in working with Nixon and other political adversaries

health plan

crime bill added 100,000 cops

last minimum wage increase was under Clinton

unemplyment dropped significantly

250,000 new jobs per month at times

children's health insurance program

tougher child-support enforcement

reached out to Governments we didn't communicate with

California Desert Protection act

EITC tax cut for lower-income working families

smaller government than either Bush or Reagan (gets exactly zero credit for that)

AIDS policy, large increase in funding

gllobal agreement on tarriffs and trade

tax deductability for college tuition

expanded IRA's

aid package to Mexico from ESF

improved, genuine, environmental protection acts

That's pretty much all in his first term. I've only begun to begin! :D

Note: I do not give Clinton full credit for everything listed here, nor do I think most of this stuff is unique to his Presidency. They are indicative of the direction the country was going in as opposed to 2006.

Alot of that stuff is why some people hate Clinton

Clinton -- most intelligent.

Presidents in the past 50 years in IQ order:

182 .. William J. Clinton (D)

175 .. James E. Carter (D)

174 .. John F. Kennedy (D)

155 .. Richard M. Nixon ®

147 .. Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)

132 .. Harry Truman (D)

126 .. Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

122 .. Dwight D. Eisenhower ®

121 .. Gerald Ford ®

105 .. Ronald Reagan ®

098 .. George HW Bush ®

091 .. George W. Bush ®

http://www.linkydinky.com/BushIQ.shtml

Based on that, the POTUS IQ has nothing to do with job performance. Roosevelt, Clinton, Carter and Nixon were among the worst but so were/are both HW an W. I suspect Ford and JFK might have been bad but they didn't have much time. Reagan and Truman were among the best (least worse). LBJ was pretty bad from all evidence I've seen.

Hmmm, I'm torn between Truman and Reagan.

Maybe Truman, because he had to deal with the start of the cold war and developed a lot of the policy that was used later on (even if he did have soem help).

Also you have to give him credit for beating Dewey and sticking in there politically, despite the mostly unwarrented beating that he was constantly taking from all sides in his later years.

That said we did have a lot of success under Reagan and he did have a big role in putting away the Cold War, but he's also to blame for some of the problems that we have had to deal with with terrorism since then.

Reagan was a lot more popular of a president and a lot better speaker and maybe more persuassive. Truman was not popular at all, but he did the best that he could and he had a lot of new problems to deal with. Then again maybe Reagan was ultimately more successful. I'm not sure. Right now it's a toss up for me.

By the way, actually Truman wasn't president fifty years ago or less was he?

I voted for Ford - because he didn't have any votes and i didn't want him to feel bad.

Plus he went to Michigan, and i liked Chevy Chase.

I voted for Ford. (As in, I voted for him for President).

In fact, I voted for him twice. (Once as a write-in in '80).

I liked what he did for the economy. (IMO, he left it alone. I think the American economy is self-regulating, if the politicians would just leave it alone.)

I even aproved of him pardoning Nixon. I hated Nixon, but it was time for the nation to quit beating him once he officially became A Dead Horse.

(In fact, I can't help believing that Ford knew, when he did that, that it would cost him votes. (He might not have known it would cost him the election.) I consider pardoning Nixon to be one of the few cases I can point to as an example of a politician doing something that will cost him votes, simply because it's right for the country.)

:laugh:.....ok admit it who voted for Bush.......

oh and by the way those IQ ratings are B.S.

Someone needs to read about Gardners theory before they try to publish something like that.......

Btw....

George Washington had an I.Q. rating of 101

and I already saw on another site , Bush having an I.Q. of 115, which is the avg Iq of a college student. You don't need an IQ to be a GREAT president though, just enough good people around you to make you look good......

that web page is crap.....it's based off one big guess if you read the whole paragraph

If I'm not mistaken he also said (or was it Truman?) "profiteering from a war is a form of treason" cough *cheney* cough ahem.

How about doing nothing when one of your battleships is attacked and some of your servicemen are killed? cough *Clinton* cough.

Truman. History is looking ever more favorably on him. The Marshall Plan literally saved the western world from totalitarianism. Even my father in law, a very staunch Republican, says Truman was the best president of his lifetime.

How about doing nothing when one of your battleships is attacked and some of your servicemen are killed? cough *Clinton* cough.

Or when your marines are bombed in their barracks in Beiruit? cough *Reagan* cough.

Hmm, I wonder if my cheap shot was as effective as yours?

Clinton -- most intelligent.

Presidents in the past 50 years in IQ order:

182 .. William J. Clinton (D)

175 .. James E. Carter (D)

174 .. John F. Kennedy (D)

155 .. Richard M. Nixon ®

147 .. Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)

132 .. Harry Truman (D)

126 .. Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

122 .. Dwight D. Eisenhower ®

121 .. Gerald Ford ®

105 .. Ronald Reagan ®

098 .. George HW Bush ®

091 .. George W. Bush ®

http://www.linkydinky.com/BushIQ.shtml

junk debunked!

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

• 5 years later...
Clinton.

His Presidency was relatively peaceful and prosperous.

That doesn't make him the best. And it doesn't prove anything. It's how a President responds to adversity, that proves how great he is.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 09:12 PM ----------

BTW, I did NOT bump this thread, even though I was the first to post in it in 5 years.

It was already bumped - another phantom bump.

Archived