Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Yeah, I can't really say I'm a fan of his latest stuff. Not really a fan of most mainstream stuff, and a lot of artists who decided to tap into this "Everything is Awesome" poppy sounding feel good stuff. 

I am a huge Coldplay fan, and even I was a little turned off by a fair amount of their stuff on Mylo Xyloto. Plagiarism, homage, whatever one chooses to call it, obviously isn't a good look, but I'm not gonna condemn the guys career, or dismiss his talent. Credibility? Sure. But I still think he is a very talented musician.

Lauryn Hill went through the same thing, but I would never say she isn't one of the most talented people I've ever heard in recent memory

was Tabi the lightskinned dude with dreads?  doesn't narrow it down much though, every dc dude in '06 had dreads LOL

Mambo Sauce was awesome!  That song "Miracles" cranked so hard

Yeah everybody had dreads. It was the high top fade, the part, the stars and ****, cornrows/twists, dreads.

Now the frohawk

Lady Bug from Digable Planets was from Silver Spring.

Let's not forget Nonchalant - 5 o'clock in the morning...where you gonna be ?

E.U., RE,

Didn't know they were from here.

Johnny Gill is from here too. Wow.

Marvin Gaye anyone...anyone ?

Loved Johnny Gill. Throwback voice.

I think gogo unofficially died recently too.  I heard that PA Palace, the store that sold all the gogo music, closed their doors a few weeks ago.  There was one in PG Plaza, Capital Heights, and Forrestville I think?  PA Palace had been open since the early 90s. 

D'angelo was from VA?  wow!  i always liked his vibe, man.  He comes across as a Virginia dude.  Pusha T as well.  Those 757, Tidewater dudes are really chill and laid back.  The whole DMV is that way.  So many famous people from DC/MD/VA have very similar personalities to Kevin Durant LOL.  quiet, laid back, cool.

I got  lot of Johnny Gill stuff. Dude could sing his ass off, man.

There no no longer exists R&B like that, and the decades prior. 

East side to the westside, pushin' fat rides, it's no surprise. She got kicks in the stash, rackin' up the cash, fast when it comes to the gas.

There no no longer exists R&B like that, and the decades prior. 

yeah bro, the real deal R&B probably died in the mid 90s.  back when you had videos of Keith Sweat lookin' ass dudes rubbing a girl's feet and crying into the camera. 

KILLIN' these heauxs

tumblr_nhzlz1RUhC1tci5dmo1_400.gif

yeah bro, the real deal R&B probably died in the mid 90s.  back when you had videos of Keith Sweat lookin' ass dudes rubbing a girl's feet and crying into the camera. 

I get a lot of my musical tastes from my mother, who listened to a ton of R&B and house and stuff. Bruh, I'm a huge fan of dudes like Neyo, John Legend, Raheem, Anthony Hamilton, Usher, Kem, etc. But those dudes back in the day brought it like there was no tomorrow.

Can't imagine being some young dude these days, and his girl wants him to play Chris Brown or some other wack ****. Nothing adds that extra spice like contemporary  and old school R&B

By no means average.

She on it when she's gotta have it. Baby your a perfect 10, a wanna get in, can I get close so I can win. I like the way your workin', "No Diggity", got to bag it up.

I do remember him having indie credentials back in the late 90's and early 2000's.  He'll always have his die hard fans based on that work.  But don't think for a minute these dumbass songs that soccer moms love aren't the reason everyone in America knows who he is now.  Or the reason he's got a platform to do all these absurd gigs.  When they write his obituary, it's going to read, "Pharrell Williams, the dude who wrote Happy."

I get it, you and many others were a fan of his from a while back, but would you even still listen to his recent stuff?  If he wasn't a hack back then, he's become one now.  And I think any artist that plagiarizes should get roasted for it.  And I get that there is a difference between homage and plagiarism.  What Pharrell has been making is not honest homage, it's uninspired nonsense that lifts the musical ideas from older hits to make a broadly appealing song that can make him a ton of money.

So do you "roast" the artists from the early to mid 20th century that used their fame to steal work from artists who didn't have their notoriety? Making it possible to claim other's work as their own simply because it the word of a big fish vs a small one? It happened all the time. Artists would play shows with bands or be at a show and hear another's song, like it, and then just flat out steal it. "Stairway to Heaven" is a pretty solid example, considering the famous opening riff from the song was originally written by a band called Spirit. How about Metallica and Welcome Home (Sanitarium)? Even "Smoke on the Water" was a rip from a famous jazz act.

I'm not saying Marvin Gaye's family shouldn't have pursued the case if they truly felt that there was one. Which they apparently did considering the ruling. I'm just saying that before you go on some tirade about how much of a "hack" one of the originators of the modern hip hop sound is, take into account that this happens on a pretty regular basis.

Hell yeah. I still throw on some Jodeci or K-Ci and Jojo when it's "game time".

Wife melting in a puddle, knowing it's about to go down.

Getting ready to pop on some Keith Sweat to set myself up for the evening.

Even some old New Edition or All 4 One works.

Church, Sin.  Anthony Hamilton....dawg.  I first heard his song "Comin' From where I'm From" on the Dave Chapelle show.  i that entire album is pure genius from beginning to end.  gotta be a top 10 R&B album of the 21st century.  Hamilton has so much soul man.  straight old school vibe

I see Anthony Hamilton all the time. I guess he must be from Charlotte. Real low key, not rolling with a crew or whatever...just out and about doing his thing. Occasionally people recognize him, he just keeps it chill and folks let him be after a selfie with him or an autograph. Never stepped to him, but he seems really chill.

Hell yeah. I still throw on some Jodeci or K-Ci and Jojo when it's "game time".

Wife melting in a puddle, knowing it's about to go down.

Getting ready to pop on some Keith Sweat to set myself up for the evening.

Even some old New Edition or All 4 One works.

Clothes fly off like magnetism.

Play some Maxwell or Silk. Be like there's a meeting in my bedroooooooom.

Church, Sin.  Anthony Hamilton....dawg.  I first heard his song "Comin' From where I'm From" on the Dave Chapelle show.  i that entire album is pure genius from beginning to end.  gotta be a top 10 R&B album of the 21st century.  Hamilton has so much soul man.  straight old school vibe

Crushed it. That whole album kicked serious ass

Archived