Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Lloyd: Worth It?

Taylor 21

More like the 49ers are going to give him the highest tender. He's their #1 receiver and an improving talent... they're aren't going to let him go for a 3rd round pick.

You want to Lloyd... he's going to cost a first rounder. Coincidentally, we don't have one. So Lloyd isn't an option.

I'll tell you what Die Hard, you and I certainly ****ed up the FA predictions this year :laugh: . If you believed either of us, Lloyd was never leaving SF and Abraham would be starting opposite Carter :doh: . I guess Larry Michael better find a new source for news, eh, and it's certainly not here either. :laugh:

Guest amaprius

I dont think Lloyd is that great....He is a 20/80 guy....He gets the impressive catch but cant get the simple ones. He got hit right in the numbers so many times in frisco and it would bounce off his chest....but TO had the same problem his first few seasons....So maybe it is the coaching over there. gardner is a more consistent catcher.

Well, in San Francisco this past season, he only caught 44% of passes thrown his way. Some attributed San Francisco's QB problem to him. I think that's going a bit far. He definitely has potential and I think he will prosper in our system.

More like the 49ers are going to give him the highest tender. He's their #1 receiver and an improving talent... they're aren't going to let him go for a 3rd round pick.

You want to Lloyd... he's going to cost a first rounder. Coincidentally, we don't have one. So Lloyd isn't an option.

but a third and a fourth, no problem :laugh:

I heard T. Ryan on Sirius a few weeks ago saying that he had a conversation w/ Lloyd and I didn't like what I heard. He asked him if he studies tape like J. Rice and other great ones did and he said no. He basically said that he goes out there burns the d-back a few times and then has his way w/ them. Tim was saying w/ that attitude he will never be great even though he has the potential to be. He sounds like a guy that just relies on his talent and doesn't think he has to put any more effort into his game. That does not sound like a Gibbs type player to me. Maybe they feel that by surrounding him w/ players like Moss and other hard working vets we have that he will change his attitude. If he does he can be a great player.

I heard T. Ryan on Sirius a few weeks ago saying that he had a conversation w/ Lloyd and I didn't like what I heard. He asked him if he studies tape like J. Rice and other great ones did and he said no. He basically said that he goes out there burns the d-back a few times and then has his way w/ them. Tim was saying w/ that attitude he will never be great even though he has the potential to be. He sounds like a guy that just relies on his talent and doesn't think he has to put any more effort into his game. That does not sound like a Gibbs type player to me. Maybe they feel that by surrounding him w/ players like Moss and other hard working vets we have that he will change his attitude. If he does he can be a great player.

Good points there Chaz,

However, Sean Taylor was not a Gibbs-type player--he is starting to come around. Slowly but, nonetheless, coming around.

John Riggins was far from a Gibbs-type player but, Gibbs wanted him back and went to get him. He changed his attitude to a certain extent. We all know how that ended up.

True, Lloyd could wind up being another TO or even worse! But, he could also wind up being another prime example of Joe Gibbs and his player-changing abilities! We all just have to wait and see.

I'll tell you what Die Hard, you and I certainly ****ed up the FA predictions this year :laugh: . If you believed either of us, Lloyd was never leaving SF and Abraham would be starting opposite Carter :doh: . I guess Larry Michael better find a new source for news, eh, and it's certainly not here either. :laugh:

Ouch. Abraham wasn't so much a prediction for me... as a "want". It was a rational "want" I might add :) I did say Abraham could be had for a low first rounder... and I was right. Unfortunately, the Skins didn't want to cough it up... which I'm fine with. I'll be following Abraham on the Falcons to see how that turns out.

As far as Lloyd... I think the 49ers are fools. Why else would you tender Lloyd 1st round compensation... and then trade him for a 3rd round pick (and 4th). Especially because the Skins had such a low round pick.

With a first round tender... sure, the reserved the right to "negotiate" rather than tender a 3rd round contract and take whatever a team gives them. But in the end, that's basically just what they did.

Personally, I think the 49ers are screwed. They have been for years.. and given this Lloyd situation (among other things)... I can't say I'm optimistic the team will turn around any time soon.

They get rid of Lloyd... and then sign Antonio Bryant? Sure.

but a third and a fourth, no problem :laugh:

Again, the 49ers are fools for giving him up for those picks. Even 49ers fans will tell you so. What can I say... I gave the 49er's front office more credit than they deserve.

They GIVE away Lloyd because of lockerroom concerns... and then they replace him with Antonio Bryant... whom I'm sure they paid a pretty penny to. Incredible.

Ouch. Abraham wasn't so much a prediction for me... as a "want". It was a rational "want" I might add :) I did say Abraham could be had for a low first rounder... and I was right. Unfortunately, the Skins didn't want to cough it up... which I'm fine with. I'll be following Abraham on the Falcons to see how that turns out.

As far as Lloyd... I think the 49ers are fools. Why else would you tender Lloyd 1st round compensation... and then trade him for a 3rd round pick (and 4th). Especially because the Skins had such a low round pick.

With a first round tender... sure, the reserved the right to "negotiate" rather than tender a 3rd round contract and take whatever a team gives them. But in the end, that's basically just what they did.

Personally, I think the 49ers are screwed. They have been for years.. and given this Lloyd situation (among other things)... I can't say I'm optimistic the team will turn around any time soon.

That's absolutely crazy that they got rid of him for just a 3rd and a 4th. We sure as hell haven't found any receivers like him in the 3rd round recently. He was a 3rd rounder, and he has already shown himself to be valued at a first round pick - I would draft him in the first round in a heartbeat - and in addition has NFL experience. So all the 49ers valued him at a measly 4th rounder plus his original draft status? They got screwed here.

I looooooooooove me some Brandon Lloyd. We just got the 49ers' best skill player.

I've said this in other posts. I'm worried about his attitude. He did a lot of grinning during the press conference and had this air about him that the Redskins were lucky to have him. Also, I didn't like his response about his not getting along with 49ers veterans, saying they "weren't feeling" him. If he can harness the attitude and do something on the field besides run his mouth, I'll be happy. Call me old-school!

Honestly, I had some fears about Portis being a me-first player, especially with the whole championship belt thing he did the year before we got him. Those fears have been long quelched. :)

My biggest concern is that we sign him to a long term deal, both he and Dockery. If we don't sign Lloyd to a long team deal after this year, he is out on the market again and we gave up a 3rd this year and 4th round pick next year for him.

I hear you on Abraham being more of a pipe dream. I did really want to see what GW could come up with having JA and AC coming off the edges. It's just plain scary to think about.

As far the 49ers, you're completely right. Their owner is junk, he might even make Bidwell look a free spending, commited owner and that's saying something. That whole value system based on stats thing they got going on is just loony. They're going to be in the cellar for quite some time and agree that we fleeced them big time on that trade. If someone had proposed that trade before it happened I'd have probably laughed them out of town. Show's what I know :whoknows: .

BTW, I was calling myself out, too, because we agreed on those topics and it was all in fun so don't take it too hard :D

I dont think Lloyd is that great....He is a 20/80 guy....He gets the impressive catch but cant get the simple ones. He got hit right in the numbers so many times in frisco and it would bounce off his chest....but TO had the same problem his first few seasons....So maybe it is the coaching over there. gardner is a more consistent catcher.

hope you change your mind, cuz hes in D.C. now!

See my post under a similar "Anquan Boldin" to the Skins thread.....

In short' date=' the day that the Redskinette "Crystal" is giving me daily hummers is the day that the Skins get Brandon Lloyd.

People- let's be real here! He's an RFA and the 49er's ONLY star player on offense. He's not going anywhere.[/quote']

....so how's this working out for you?

In short' date=' the day that the Redskinette "Crystal" is giving me daily hummers is the day that the Skins get Brandon Lloyd.

People- let's be real here! He's an RFA and the 49er's ONLY star player on offense. He's not going anywhere.[/quote']

YOU LUCKY, LUCKY DOG!!!!!!!!

I believe once we actually sign this guy to a "long term deal" and the season starts he will have significant impact on the offense, his high play making ability will pull coverage his way taking pressure off of Moss and his sure hands will certain'y helps since only Moss and cooley could catch the ball last year. With Moss and Lloyd and ARE in there somewhere it should be fun to watch.

I hear everyone talking about Randel El and Reggie Wayne, but do you guys think Brandon Lloyd of the 49ers is worth it? I see great potential in this guy, he has amazing hands and great leaping ability. I wouldn't mind him being our 2nd Reciever. Your thoughts?

When he isn't dropping passes or getting hurt he is quite dangerous. He is being way overpaid.

• 3 weeks later...

When you debate whether or not we gave up to much by giving SF a 3rd this year and a 4th next year, Consider that what we received in return was a young big play WR coming into his prime at the NFL level. As opposed to trying to draft an unproven player in hopes that he will eventually become What Brandon Lloyd is ready to be right now. Also consider the following players taken in the 1st rnd over the last 10 years. After reviewing the list ask yourself if any of these teams would rather have Brandon Lloyd.

Mike Williams pick 10 (DET)

Mike Jenkins pick 29 (ATL)

Rashon Woods pick 31 (SF)

Charles Rogers pick 2 (DET)

Ashley Lelie pick 19 (DEN)

David Terrell pick 8 (CHI)

Rod Gardner pick 15 (WAS)

Fred Mitchell pick 25 (PHI)

Pete Warwick pick 3 (CIN)

Sylvester Morris pick 21 (KC)

RJ Soward pick 29 (JAX)

Troy Edwards pick 13 (PIT)

Marcus Nash pick 30 (DEN)

Yatil Green pick 15 (MIA)

Reidel Anthony pick 16 (TB)

Rae Carruth pick 27 (CAR)

Do you think any of these teams would take a 3rd and a 4th for the player they drafted in the 1st round? My guess is hell yes they would. Now I realize hindsight is 20/20 but that is my whole point. There is no way of telling what your gonna get from the WR you draft in the 1st rnd, let alone the ones you drafted in the 3rd and the 4th.

Give me a proven young player coming into his prime, full of well earned confidence by playing at this level, and I'll give you a 3rd this year and a 4th next year everytime.

Archived