Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

These pics say it all about how the Muslim world sees the West and freedom....

TC4

Yeah I thought so too, I don't want to comment on it too much, because I'm still not sure yet about how a lot of the events mentioned in it will play out, but I think it did bring up some really interesting things to think about.

Especially looking at this all from a broader 30+ year picture going back to the seventies. I hadn't really thought about how all the different trends in the Middle East since then are tied together. (though I have thought about Iran and Lebanon somewhat)

I really like the article (and I usually hate Newsweek writers ;)) and it contextualizes the stuff going on better than people claiming a clash of civilizations. I would prefer some possible solutions, but it should help in introspection.

I really like the article (and I usually hate Newsweek writers ;)) and it contextualizes the stuff going on better than people claiming a clash of civilizations. I would prefer some possible solutions, but it should help in introspection.

I agree, the article was very interesting. The point about lumping all Muslim acts of violence together is a valid one.

So...........anyone seen CAIR make a statement denouncing this stuff yet?

Don't hold your breath.

They enjoy living in a country where we have to be PC and say these cartoons are disgusting, yet putting feces on a cross or sticking one in a jar of urine gets a free pass. They'd want nothing more than for the US to become an islamic state.

I don't exactly agree with some of what he has to say, but I thought this was an interesting article.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11182278/site/newsweek/

"Islam and Power

Is President Bush's plan to spread democracy turning into a fiasco? It doesn't have to. But it does need to change."

That is a pretty good point. By giving them democracy we basically give power to local imams and such. As a result extremist tendencies grow (things that would otherwise be suppressed by a dictator). The Muslim world is not ready for democracy.

Anyone?

Anyone?

bueller?

Bueller?

Front page of their website

Your schtick is getting old

http://www.cair-net.org/

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 2/5/06) – On Sunday, February 5, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) will hold a news conference in Washington, D.C., to express the U.S. Muslim community's rejection of violence in response to the defamatory caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad published in European newspapers.

Anyone?

Anyone?

bueller?

Bueller?

Actually, yes, I have. On C-SPAN last night. They were speaking out against the printing of the cartoons in Denmark, the reactionary riots, and the cartoons made in the muslim media that are anti-Jew.

Iranian Paper Plans Holocaust Cartoons

By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran - A prominent Iranian newspaper said Tuesday it would hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West extends the principle of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide as it did to the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

TEHRAN, Iran - A prominent Iranian newspaper said Tuesday it would hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West extends the principle of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide as it did to the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

The gov't of Iran is a crazy Shia gov't

Don't lump us all in with them ;)

Sounds like they want to see if we are hippocrates about this "freedom of speach" thing.

Sounds like they want to see if we are hippocrates about this "freedom of speach" thing.

Yeah, and the funny thing is, we won't do anything about it (which we shouldn't) and they will be the hypocrits for publishing something akin to what offended them so much.

You won't see any violence by those offended by Holocaust cartoons.

I'd be interested to see how they felt if people went protesting in front of their local mosque with a picture of Nick Berg's headless body.

Let's see. The leader of their country, not some random cartoonist in some random paper, the guy in charge of setting policy for the entire nation has claimed that a) The Holocaust never really happened and B) he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

And they think we're going to care about some cartoon? These people have absolutely no clue.

Let's see. The leader of their country, not some random cartoonist in some random paper, the guy in charge of setting policy for the entire nation has claimed that a) The Holocaust never really happened and B) he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

And they think we're going to care about some cartoon? These people have absolutely no clue.

And as if there are a bunch of Israeli's in Iran to protest anyway. :laugh:

Front page of their website

Your schtick is getting old

http://www.cair-net.org/

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 2/5/06) – On Sunday, February 5, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) will hold a news conference in Washington, D.C., to express the U.S. Muslim community's rejection of violence in response to the defamatory caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad published in European newspapers.

Call Ripleys!

As for something getting old, I'd say the entire mid east muslim thing would rank high on my list

Yeah, and the funny thing is, we won't do anything about it (which we shouldn't) and they will be the hypocrits for publishing something akin to what offended them so much.

You won't see any violence by those offended by Holocaust cartoons.

I hope we do not do anything about it but I am not so sure. It will not be anything violent for sure... I'm just hoping the world does not react at all, not even with an official statement. By definition you cannot answer to cry for attention without giving attention :laugh:

As for something getting old, I'd say the entire mid east muslim thing would rank high on my list

Seriously. Sometimes it seems that Israeli fence is such a good idea... Fast forward 30 years... No more dependency on oil and a large fence around that part of the world. Leave them alone for a few decades, let them figure things out. :laugh: People are so quick to blame others for their problems... Fingerpointing will not be as fun if you are pointing at the huge fence :cool:

Its funny, that picture brings up a theory that I've been formulating for a while now. It concerns the labeling of ideas with a certain word which consequently changes the meaning of the word. Take the word "freedom" as an example. We see that word and think: America! American values, our way of life, our rights, etc. Many Muslims see that word and think: War! Bombs, bloodshed, oppression. It is a word that is used by us to rationalize going to war. Notice it wasn't translated in to Arabic. Ah, of course not, b/c than it takes on a different meaning entirely. They hate freedom as a concept that we've created and wish to impose on them. Freedom, in the true sense of the word, is all relative.

I guess the only thing I'm taking issue with directly here is the thread title. :2cents:

Its funny, that picture brings up a theory that I've been formulating for a while now. It concerns the labeling of ideas with a certain word which consequently changes the meaning of the word. Take the word "freedom" as an example. We see that word and think: America! American values, our way of life, our rights, etc. Many Muslims see that word and think: War! Bombs, bloodshed, oppression. It is a word that is used by us to rationalize going to war. Notice it wasn't translated in to Arabic. Ah, of course not, b/c than it takes on a different meaning entirely. They hate freedom as a concept that we've created and wish to impose on them. Freedom, in the true sense of the word, is all relative.

I guess the only thing I'm taking issue with directly here is the thread title. :2cents:

Actually, you really bring up a good point, as it is the context of the word gives different meanings, and it is the interpertaion due to the surrounding opinion which shapes peoples minds.

You're right, it's a whole different world over there, almost like landing on an alien planet sometimes.

That's what people here don't understand and it's why iraq is not going as fast as some would like

While I agree with your point, I do want to state for the record that it wasn't a "random cartoonist in some random paper." It was a competition that was organized specifically to see whether any illustrators would endanger their lives in order to print offensive material.

While I agree with your point, I do want to state for the record that it wasn't a "random cartoonist in some random paper." It was a competition that was organized specifically to see whether any illustrators would endanger their lives in order to print offensive material.

So? Let me amend my statement then to some SPECIFIC cartoonist in some random paper. I'm not sure there is any relevant difference there.

Archived