Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grizzlyman

SkinsD

Have you signed you for an online dating service & had success?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Have you signed you for an online dating service & had success?

• Yes, and I've met some great people
    • Yes, but I haven't met anyone worth while
    • No, never have never will (the 7up defense)

How can you have a grizzlyman thread without this???

johnny_damon.jpg

God damn I hate Boston.

But the man was a free lancing idiot. I first read about this story in a readers digest while waiting for a hair cut. Yes he did some things to help the "plight" of the Alaskan bears. But from the atricle I read there was and actual video/recording of the "eating" of him and his girlfriend which authorities deemed too violent to be released.

You go to SE enough times you might get shot.

You mess with some 1 ton bears you will get eaten.

It's called natural selection.

God damn I hate Boston.

But the man was a free lancing idiot. I first read about this story in a readers digest while waiting for a hair cut. Yes he did some things to help the "plight" of the Alaskan bears. But from the atricle I read there was and actual video/recording of the "eating" of him and his girlfriend which authorities deemed too violent to be released.

You go to SE enough times you might get shot.

You mess with some hungry bears you will get eaten.

It's called natural selection.

Watch the movie ... its mostly his footage. He ain't right Mick. Watch and you'll understand. I don't know that he was 'highly intelligent'. Eccentric, sad, bizarre, misguided, passionate, and devoted. I'm not sure 'highly intelligent' springs to mind though.

Agreed. I watched it last night the second time around. The guy was seriously disturbed. Other thoughts on the movie...

-I thought the documentary itself was very well done. The director / producer didn't try and portray the Grizzly Man as something he wasn't. He simply aired the footage, and spoke to many people who knew him or had dealings with him. You pretty much got the full range of opinion.

-I agreed entirely with the Eskimo that they interviewed. What this Grizzly Man did was VERY disrespectful. The ultimate disrespect to the bear... conditioning them to approach humans and feel comfortable around them.

Let's not make any mistake when we're talking about this guy... he was no hero, he was no conservationist. He was a selfish, stupid little man. What he did, he did for himself... not the bear. The bears were the only thing that kept him from being an alcoholic... they were his new addiction. If he really cared about the Bears he would have spent a lot less time trying to 'walk' with them, and a lot more time devoted to conservation efforts. I find it slightly ironic that the only conservation organization that he was a part of was the one he founded with his nutbag friend... you know, the one that NOBODY has ever heard of :doh: (I highly doubt that organization has done ANYTHING for the bears. Someone prove me wrong)

The guy was sick. In the head. Let's not call him something he's not... like a respected bioligist. He was an out of work waiter with a drinking problem and too much time on his hands... and a severe mental case. This guy is a disgrace to people like Farley Mowat... and imho anyone who walked away from the documentary feeling like they just witnessed anything other than a sick, dimented, emotionally disturbed man with severe mental issues... didn't pay attention. :2cents:

anyone see the show on this guys "anti-grizzly suit"?

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0597/0597grizzlies.html

grizzly3.jpg

grizzly2.jpg

"In pursuit of his off-kilter dream — creating a suit of armor that can withstand the attack of a grizzly bear — Troy Hurtubise has endured much: Slugs in the chest from a 12-gauge shotgun at a range of 20 feet. Falling, on purpose, off the edge of the 150-foot-high Niagara Escarpment. Assaults from burly friends and relatives all too willing to cuff him repeatedly with road picks, knives, bows and arrows, two-by-fours. Eighteen times he has stood in the path of a three-ton pickup doing 30 miles per hour, and 18 times the truck has knocked him from here to next week. On several occasions, he has stood at attention while a 350-pound log, winched 30 feet up in a tree, swung down broadside to topple him like a human bowling pin."

Then what would you say about his woman - that she's ill, as well ?

Misguided - she was about to leave him prior to her death according to the documentary.

Mick - seriously, I'm basing my comments on the documentary - if you haven't watched it, you're not going to understand what I'm referring to. :)

anyone see the show on this guys "anti-grizzly suit"?

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0597/0597grizzlies.html

grizzly3.jpg

grizzly2.jpg

"In pursuit of his off-kilter dream — creating a suit of armor that can withstand the attack of a grizzly bear — Troy Hurtubise has endured much: Slugs in the chest from a 12-gauge shotgun at a range of 20 feet. Falling, on purpose, off the edge of the 150-foot-high Niagara Escarpment. Assaults from burly friends and relatives all too willing to cuff him repeatedly with road picks, knives, bows and arrows, two-by-fours. Eighteen times he has stood in the path of a three-ton pickup doing 30 miles per hour, and 18 times the truck has knocked him from here to next week. On several occasions, he has stood at attention while a 350-pound log, winched 30 feet up in a tree, swung down broadside to topple him like a human bowling pin."

My brother watched this and told me all about it. I was about to bring it up but you beat me to it.

Guest sith lord
The guy is definitely mentally ill. I don't see how you can avoid that conclusion. At least he found something to focus on that didn't put anyone except himself at risk. A shame it turned out like it did. But he definitely was not all there.

Well, his girlfriend did get killed also.

Misguided - she was about to leave him prior to her death according to the documentary.

Mick - seriously, I'm basing my comments on the documentary - if you haven't watched it, you're not going to understand what I'm referring to. :)

You guys convinced me to go rent it from Blockbuster today. And I plan on watching it tonite.

After that, I will address you with the appropriate commentary :)

Too many people spend their life within 100 miles of their birth. He was stupid and crazy but at least he did something interesting and out of the ordinary.

Not to use a catchy phrase here, but he truly died doing the thing he loved.

If he somehow survived the mauling, I'd bet he'd go out and do the same thing all over again.

Heh, this is reminding me of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is supposed to kill a bear to get back at them and get over his fear of them and ends up making friends with the bear instead.

(I love the part with all the bear snacks and cereals freaking him out)

Oh yeah, I saw the Girzzlyman thing yesterday...that was pretty creepy what he said about that one bear that ended up eating him (especially after the Letterman bit that they showed)

Well, his girlfriend did get killed also.

He didn't get his girlfriend killed.

She was there by her own free will.

In fact, when the bear was in the process of killing him, she tried to save him, but he kept commanding her to run away and save her own life. She chose to stay there right up until the attack, until the very end, and gave up her life trying to save his. That's a fact, documented by the chilling tape that recorded the whole encounter. So, no, he didn't get his girlfriend killed.

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom line is that Bears are a lot like people, Having grown up in Northern Alberta around Grizzlys and Blacks and having had a very good friend who had a pet bear I can honestly still say that when a bear comes in the Yard (about 3-4 times during the summer) I still would rather let the air out of him than take the risk that he will try to eat me. Some bears are friendly and if im in the bush and I see one up close Ill let him be but when they come up to you near the house you have to make them go away.

Some Bears are agressive and cranky and some are shy and gentle but the problem is you just dont know what they will be.

I've seen pieces of the documentary (and I'm watching it right now, but he's already dead), and I've heard the audio of the fatal mauling. My question is, did this ever do anything like record the bears eating habits, migration patterns, hibernation, or in any way contribute anything to our understanding of Grizzlies? I know he had no training or education, and its pretty clear he had some very different notions about bears than the established view. But he did spend 13 summers in Alaska. Surely, he expanded our knowledge in some way during those 13 summers?

If not, he's just a drunk and a dumbass. He was going to end up where he ended up, it was just a question of when.

I've seen pieces of the documentary (and I'm watching it right now, but he's already dead), and I've heard the audio of the fatal mauling. My question is, did this ever do anything like record the bears eating habits, migration patterns, hibernation, or in any way contribute anything to our understanding of Grizzlies? I know he had no training or education, and its pretty clear he had some very different notions about bears than the established view. But he did spend 13 summers in Alaska. Surely, he expanded our knowledge in some way during those 13 summers?

If not, he's just a drunk and a dumbass. He was going to end up where he ended up, it was just a question of when.

That guy had no clue what he was doing, and he did not expand on anything we know about Bears.

Where did you hear the audio of his death? Is it on the internet?

In fact, when the bear was in the process of killing him, she tried to save him, but he kept commanding her to run away and save her own life. She chose to stay there right up until the attack, until the very end, and gave up her life trying to save his. That's a fact, documented by the chilling tape that recorded the whole encounter. So, no, he didn't get his girlfriend killed.

So you don't think that this crazy man convinced her that there was no danger? He didn't have a part in putting her in harms way? Where exactly was she supposed to run anyway? I guess you probably think that all the people at Jonestown drank the kool-aid of their own free will and Jim Jones was merely a bystander.

Great post.

Where did you hear the audio? I thought they never released it.

Archived