Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best "Cheesesteak" in DC Area

hokie4redskins

I actually call it "Steak and cheese". I can't remember if that's what people call it in this area, or if I was just refusing to be like some chump from Philly. Does anybody else call it "Steak and Cheese"?

Anyway, the BEST steakncheese EVER was from this little Jamaican restaurant in Adam's Morgan called Montego Bay Cafe. The sandwhich was called the Port Royale. Thinly sliced ribeye marinated in this Jamaican jerk sauce. Onions, peppers, mushrooms, the works and it was covered in this melted provolone as thick as a Turkish carpet. Now, I'm not just some DC homer. Well, I am actually, but that's besides the point. I've had an authentic Philly "cheesesteak" and they're damn good. But the Port Royale, there are no words to describe how good this thing was. Everybody I introduced to it said it was the best they've ever had, even the schmucks from Philly.

Sadly, Mo Bay Cafe was shut down along with the Port Royale. I was devastated. Seriously. My soul felt empty. As pathetic as that sounds, that's how good the Port Royale was. I've been a lost soul wandering aimlessly to find another like it but I feel my journey is in vain.

So, who's had a bomb steakncheese in the DC area? If you're going to say, "Philly Cheesesteak Factory", don't bother responding. That's only good at 3am after a night of drunken debauchery.

People from here do call it 'steak and cheese' which is pretty funny. My friends from Philly only say Cheesesteak or hoagie (they also call soda 'pop' which is weird. They're from Philly, they suck).

Marathon Deli in College Park makes something like a cheesesteak, called a Kronoburger. Its made from gyro meat, and is topped with provolone, onions, mushrooms, etc on a sub roll. Tastes pretty good.

Haven't found a place in this area that makes a REALLY GOOD cheesesteak. I think its because I always compare it to real Philly cheesesteaks where the bread and cheese whiz is one-of-a-kind.

Marios' ...

real good steak and they top off these huge puppys with coleslaw and bread and butter pickles ... real good

Are you crazy? They might as well call theirs Steak and Cheese and Fat, because they use the worst meat there ever. The only time Marios is good is at 3am after the bars when everything else is closed.

In Severna Park MD which is just outside of Annapolis there is a place called Jeno's steaks. The best I've ever had, hands down. Outside of my own that is.

I live in Severna Park. Where is this Jeno's you speak of?

Best cheeseteak I have had is at Magurk's in Baltimore across from the Cross St. Market.

You're in Arlington? Al's steaks in Del Ray makes the best cheesesteaks in the area. The guy that owns it orders his rolls from Philly. Check it out:

http://alssteak.com/

agree. pops is from that area and has known John since he was in high school and everytime i go up there with the GF we have to bring one back for him. they are the best i have had.

• 1 year later...
You're in Arlington? Al's steaks in Del Ray makes the best cheesesteaks in the area. The guy that owns it orders his rolls from Philly. Check it out:

http://alssteak.com/

agree. pops is from that area and has known John since he was in high school and everytime i go up there with the GF we have to bring one back for him. they are the best i have had.
Another vote for Al's in Del Ray, on Mt Vernon Ave. South Del Ray. Big, sloppy, tasty.

****s! I've been off Al's for almost half a year now after I got up to like once every couple weeks.

Now I'll be there Monday.

And probably Tuesday.

And quite likely Friday.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

:finger: <---------- My arteries

****s! I've been off Al's for almost half a year now after I got up to like once every couple weeks.

Now I'll be there Monday.

And probably Tuesday.

And quite likely Friday.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

:finger: <---------- My arteries

Well, I'll look for you then.....:security::gang::kungfu: :laugh:

Archived