Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fate Of Charlie Brown, Mike Nelms, other Lost Redskins?

RiggoReincarnated

Can anyone tell me what happened to our WR Charlie Brown? His first year in the NFL was 1982, then his last season 1986. His birthday was 1958 so he would have only been 28. Did he suffer a career ending injury? He was one of my favorite Redskins and one of the first I remember.

How about Mike Nelms...he's another mystery. He was only 29 his last year in the NFL...and was the best kick returner the Redskins have ever had.

Actually Brown only played for the Redskins from 82-84. I can't remember why he wen't to the Falcons in 85 but he didn't do much after 82-83 anyway. He was injured in 84.

Nelms, I have no idea. I think he got cut after 84 because he only averaged 20 yards a kick return but I don't remember.

Charlie Brown

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092102265.html?sub=AR

Article about his son Marquise

He asked if he could come to his father's home in South Carolina for two months to work out. So Charlie Brown, 47, dusted off the workouts he developed as a pro with Art Monk and Darrell Green, and Marquise spent the summer after his sophomore year soaking it up.

Charlie Brown

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092102265.html?sub=AR

Article about his son Marquise

He asked if he could come to his father's home in South Carolina for two months to work out. So Charlie Brown, 47, dusted off the workouts he developed as a pro with Art Monk and Darrell Green, and Marquise spent the summer after his sophomore year soaking it up.

Cool...thank you! I just wonder why he left the NFL at age 28...injury I suspect. What strikes me about both Brown and Nelms is that both were under 30 when their careers ended.

My parents saw Mike Nelms speak at their church near Culpeper just last week.

Thanks for letting me know! I was just wondering what happened with his playing career...he was an all pro nearly every year he was here, then all of a sudden his career ended before age 30. I was too young at the time to really have a deep sense of what was going on behind the scenes.

The average career length of an NFL player is a little over 4 years. However, I'm surpised that Nelms and Brown's career ended when they were both under 30 because they were good players.

When I was younger I wondered what ever happend to Charlie Brown. I always thought Mike Nelms retired.

Virgil Seay stats

http://www.sportspool.com/football/players/S/SeayVi00.php

Virgil Seay Sports and Activity camp

Virgil Seay Sports and Activities Camp (Looks like he is still in the area)

http://www.ci.falls-church.va.us/community/recsandparks/camp2004highilights.html

Former Washington Redskins wide receiver Virgil Seay hosts this sports and activities camp. The camp will offer boys and girls ages 9-14 the opportunity to play basketball, flag football, soccer, and volleyball. Campers will learn new sports and experience new concepts and sportsmanship. Participants receive a tee-shirt. Checks payable toCity of Falls Church.

I will try and find something on Alvin Garrett later

I remember Charlie Brown also played for the local Arena Football team in 1987 or 88. I remember watching an interview with him and I thought it was sad that the same guy who was so money in 82 and 83 was now in Arena Football.

But when he was at his best, "Downtown" Charlie Brown was something to behold.

The average career length of an NFL player is a little over 4 years. However, I'm surpised that Nelms and Brown's career ended when they were both under 30 because they were good players.

When I was younger I wondered what ever happend to Charlie Brown. I always thought Mike Nelms retired.

Only 4 years? That's surprising. That would mean most retire or leave by 26? Hard to believe.

Nelms was always a threat to bring back a long one wasn't he? I remember he rarely if ever took touchbacks in the end zone as well.

Thanks for letting me know! I was just wondering what happened with his playing career...he was an all pro nearly every year he was here, then all of a sudden his career ended before age 30. I was too young at the time to really have a deep sense of what was going on behind the scenes.

To my recollection, Mike Nelms fair caught a ball once. It was probably more than that, but not much. The man was absolutely fearless and got plowed more than a few times. I'm sure a couple of years of that takes it toll

i met Charlie Brown, Art Monk, and Alvin Garrett when i was 8 years old, at training camp in Carlisle pa. I was star-struck and couldnt even speak when i saw them. They walked right past me. But Art Monk turned around and said, "Hey kid, do you want our autographs?" I just nodded, and they came over and signed my book.

Art Monk was the best...I credit him and Buddy Ryan partly for our Super Bowl Championship in 1991...

"When he did speak, people listened. In 1990, when the Redskins were 6-5 and struggling to make the playoffs, Monk asked Gibbs for permission to call a players-only meeting the night before a home game against Miami. The Redskins had missed the playoffs two straight years and now were watching their season slip away after losses to Dallas and Philadelphia. Monk apparently sensed that the time was right to say something.

Words came slowly and evenly. Monk reminded his teammates that the Redskins were in danger of missing the playoffs a third straight season. He said that they had enough good players but for some reason were losing close games. He said he was re-dedicating himself to football and suggested others might do the same. He said it was time to put up or shut up.

Some of his younger teammates had heard him say barely two words. Now, here he was challenging the entire squad."

And this is how Joe Gibbs felt going into the playoff game against Buddy Ryan after the body bag game:

"It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

"That very day, Ryan had joked about how uptight Gibbs probably was, while he, Ryan, was loose and confident, knowing that he had a Super Bowl contender. Indeed, to help prepare for the Redskins, Ryan had taken his Eagles to Tampa, the site of Super Bowl XXVI, for a week of practice. "We plan to be back here," he said with a smile."

"When the Redskins filed off their bus outside the Vet for that playoff game on January 4, 1991, they were stone-faced and determined. Gibbs had injected a Notre Dame-Miami hatred into them — and on the Redskins' first play from scrimmage, he was amazed by what he saw.

"The line of scrimmage just exploded," Gibbs said later. "Our guys knocked Philadelphia about seven yards back. That's the kind of day it had been. In that situation, you either run and hide or you respond like a champion. Our guys responded like champions."

The Redskins, in fact, played their best game since routing Denver in Super Bowl XXII. Rypien earned his playoff spurs with two touchdown passes. Byner chalked up 126 total yards. The Redskins defense forced three turnovers. Best of all was the sweet revenge of the final score: Redskins 20, Eagles 6.

Surely Ryan and the Eagles had never dreamed that their words would awaken an entire organization. The Redskins would win 23 of their next 28 games. They would make three straight playoff appearances and win their first-round contest each time. The season after the Body Bag Game, they would rip through the NFL like few teams in history, winning their first 11 regular-season games and then rolling over the Buffalo Bills, 37-24, in Super Bowl XXVI."

Archived