Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King's MMQB -Redskins love? (merged)

hokie4redskins

Peter King likes our chances next year. ****!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/23/mmqb.championship/index.html

DENVER -- For all the fans of the NFL's other 28 teams, those teams trying to get to where Pittsburgh and Seattle are going, and where Denver and Carolina tried to go this weekend, here are my shirtpocket notes from the last few, very eventful days:

1. Who do I think is off to the best start for 2006?

Clue: The owner rubs you the wrong way.

Another clue: When I finished interviewing the coach of this team last weekend, he shook my hand, wished me well and handed me a Bible tract.

Another clue: The team has a safety, a really good one, with a phlegm problem.

You've got it. The Washington Redskins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/23/mmqb.championship/index.html

Building a champion

How 'Hawks, Steelers got there and who may be next

DENVER -- For all the fans of the NFL's other 28 teams, those teams trying to get to where Pittsburgh and Seattle are going, and where Denver and Carolina tried to go this weekend, here are my shirtpocket notes from the last few, very eventful days:

1. Who do I think is off to the best start for 2006?

Clue: The owner rubs you the wrong way.

Another clue: When I finished interviewing the coach of this team last weekend, he shook my hand, wished me well and handed me a Bible tract.

Another clue: The team has a safety, a really good one, with a phlegm problem.

You've got it. The Washington Redskins. By signing ex-Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, the choreographer of the league's highest-scoring offense over the last four years, owner Dan Snyder now has spent approximately $4.6 million on Saunders and defensive game-planner/play-caller Gregg Williams -- in 2006 salary alone. An outrageous sum? Not for a man whose team will rake in something like $325 million in 2006. Would you pay a small percent of your gross revenue for the men you believe are the best offensive and defensive play-callers in football? If you wouldn't, you're not trying to win at any cost. For all the times I've killed Snyder over the years for his wasteful spending and jock-sniffing trophy collecting (most notably with the signing of way-past-his-prime Deion Sanders), this, as I said after the Williams signing a couple of weeks ago, is just smart business.

p1_taylor.jpg

Redskins safety Sean Taylor is a controversial player, but he can be a dominant force on the field. He is one of the reasons Washington could be a Super Bowl team in the near future.

I just read that article and was about to post it too. I REALLY don't like Peter King, more than Pastabelly himself. Props are nice, but can you do it without the ridicule? Jerk!!!

And the media wonders why Snyder is buying up local media outlets to provide coverage. I would be tired of all the bashing too.

Not bad I guess for a obvious Redskin-basher like King but keep in mind I'm fiending for Redskins blurbs. I'll take anything at this point. The next 7 months will suck. That pic of Taylor is bad ass. But this guy has proven his ineptitude week in and week out and some things he says simply boggle the mind. Plus he's leading the Anti-Monk crusade and most of his "predictions" are atrocious. I like it better when he hates/doubts us.

Dan Snyder doesn't rub me the wrong way. I also think it is pretty obvious now that we were the second best team in the NFC at the end of the season. We will only improve now that we have Saunders. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Peter King obviously knows his football history.

To "start" appearing? You can't get to a meaningful thread on this board without cutting through the garbage and blitherings of the rooks coming out of the woodwork. The Bandwagon is at full steam. We diehards stickin' with the team through thick and thin should feel vindicated. Gibbs has changed the culture. Or resurrected it, I should say. And to all you doubters, go **** yourselves.

Hail.

the Redskins won't be the media pick, trust me :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Don Banks pick us to finish last again in the NFC East just as he did in 2005, predicting 4-12 :laugh:

"The Giants are better because of.............the Eagles are back and...........the Cowboys have Parcells back and he never fails to reach the playoffs in his fourth year.............blah, blah, blah............" :D

Something I found quite interesting...

3. Rod Marinelli is getting some rave reviews. "The Detroit Lions have just gone from Club Med to the military," former Buc John Lynch told me the other day. That's fitting, because Marinelli is a Vietnam vet. The one thing Detroit president Matt Millen wanted in a head coach was a Bill Parcells clone, a tough-hided guy who would make a bunch of disinterested players care about football again -- whether they wanted to or not. Charles Rogers, Damien Woody, Mike Williams ... these are some of the guys I'm told could live their lives quite happily if they never played another down of football.

Despite all evidence shown, there are still people here who think that we should have drafted Williams over Rogers...

My favorite part of this article:

c. Champ Bailey. What was his gameplan, anyway? "I'm still trying to figure it out,'' said Steelers wideout Cedrick Wilson, who caught a touchdown on Bailey. "Seems like he was peeking in the backfield all day. I have no idea what their gameplan was.'' Bailey was a non-factor.

Watch, if our offense isn't putting up 30 pts in the first 3 games of 2006 we'll hear, "The Skins have too many coaches, bringing in Saunders was a mistake, you can't just buy people and expect them to work well together, Snyder went behind Gibbs back " blah blah blah

Now the one thing I'd throw in here as a caution -- and it's something Mike Shanahan echoed to me over the weekend -- is that there's an awful lot of bosses right now on Washington's offense. Joe Bugel used to be a head coach. Joe Gibbs has called plays forever. Quarterback coach Bill Musgrave has taught the quarterbacks his way. Now, with Saunders coming in the door, how will the day-to-day coaching work?

....maybe Shanahan should have spent more time worrying about his QB than our many "bosses" ;)

With the players and coaches Joe has brought in wouldn't it be nice if he accepted a GM position here when he completes his five years?

Slingin, don't look now, but he already is the GM. I mean he's team president and in charge of all major personnel decisions. He's calling all of the shots as it is. What more could he do? :notworthy

Did you guys catch this part? I think there's a Brokeback Mountain-style story developing between King and the ex-Redskins writer:

Aggravating/Enjoyable Travel Note of the Week

I had a chance to hang around with recent SI hire Nunyo Demasio over the last few days. Swell guy. Patient, very interested, good story-teller. But he now thinks I'm certifiable, and I must say I can't argue with him. Driving back from the Broncos' complex to our downtown hotel on Thursday, I had to find a store that carried Burt's Bees lip balm. For some reason, it's the only kind I like. We got bad directions a couple of times, but finally found the stuff at a Whole Foods a few miles south of downtown. Ever use Burt's Bees? Once you've started, you can't go back to Chapstick or Blistex.

"Peter just spent two hours looking for Burt's Bees lip balm!'' Nunyo kept saying into his cell phone all weekend. "Can you believe that?''

Well, I'd say it was closer to 90 minutes, but who's counting?

Archived