Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching hires in the NFL....

Die Hard

Wow. Talk about some surprises huh? There were a lot of likely canidates being thrown around.... but some complete curveballs were thrown out there. Lots of unexpected choices.

I don't get the hub-bub about Sean Payton. I think he's going to fail in New Orleans.

I think Brad Childress is going to fail in Minnesota as well.

I think Herman Edwards is perfect for Kansas City. Not sure how he'll fair... but I imagine he'll be there for a long time.

Overall, I thought some candidates got jobs way too early in their careers. Guys like Payton, Linehan, Mangini. Wierd stuff.

Wow. Talk about some surprises huh? There were a lot of likely canidates being thrown around.... but some complete curveballs were thrown out there. Lots of unexpected choices.

I don't get the hub-bub about Sean Payton. I think he's going to fail in New Orleans.

I think Brad Childress is going to fail in Minnesota as well.

I think Herman Edwards is perfect for Kansas City. Not sure how he'll fair... but I imagine he'll be there for a long time.

Overall, I thought some candidates got jobs way too early in their careers. Guys like Payton, Linehan, Mangini. Wierd stuff.

I think a lot of these new coaches are gonna endure tough seasons, and i'm still baffled as to why mooch's name hasn't been mentioned any

I think what you're seeing is simply a lack of quality assistants right now.

Coaching tenures have been so short for so long... it is finally catching up with the league.

Basically... if a guy is losing, he's out in 3 years. And with 50 percent of the teams under 500 every year... I think the averages are finally catching up. Looking around the league... almost every coach is new. And the coaches who HAVe been around or are proven...their assistants have already been snatched up. (Bellicheck, Cowher, etc.)

In short.... The well is dry. And I really think the Spurrier experiment scared the **** out of a lot of organizations who are tempted to look to the college ranks. It's such a different game.

That said... I pretty much agree with your post but my gut tells me Brad Childress will succeed in Minnesota. I think he'll draft a QB and show Culpepper the door. And I think he'll start winning. Word on the street is that he's done a really good job with his staff so far..

Tony, for some reason, there seems to be a move or trend toward hiring younger coaches. I know they say football is a young man's sport, but I always considered that was directed toward players.

Like you, some of these guys were way below the radar. I guess we'll

see which team (if any) made the right move.

He could be the best coach in the world and I think he'd fail in New Orleans. I think that franchise is in disarray. I hope he's being paid well.

I haven't heard anything about the minority candidate rule this year. It seemed to me that a couple of guys were hired quickly without consideration of other candidates. Obviously I'm not in the know for all these hirings, but does it seem to anyone else that there has been a lack of consideration of minority coaches this year?

Frankly I feel one of the biggest reasons some of these hires have been made is to avoid paying out large salaries. The less experience one has, the less you have to pay them. Case in point, in Detroit, I believe they still owe Mooch in the neighborhood of $5 million. So they go out and hire a guy who hasn't even been a coordinator yet. I would imagine he is ranked fairly low in terms of coaching salary.

In other words, they're the exact opposite of Mr. Snyder.

I have been thinking about the coaching carousel.

It guarantees one thing: the same teams in the playoffs next year.

While they are getting used to a new system the other teams get better. What coach other than Gibbs (and a few others) could turn around some of those nightmares (Texans, Packers, Vikings) in two years?

Minnesota: I have no idea with Childress. As long as he can keep Cottrell as the D coordinator, I think he'll fare well in the short run. It all depends on the personnel decisions he makes in the coming years.

Detroit: I like Marinelli and I have this gut feeling that he'll do well, but it's the Lions. One should always have doubts about whether the Lions will ever be a serious contender.

New Orleans: Payton is way too much of a boom-or-bust type, and then he has to clean up one of the most perpetually maligned franchises in the NFL. I smell disaster. The only positive is that Payton is a product of Parcells, someone who worked with Belichick and Charlie Weis, both of whom in turn became winning coaches.

St. Louis: Say what you want about St. Louis again passing on an opportunity to take a defensive approach, but Linehan just seems like a magician. He has the reigns in Minnesota and Culpepper is a Pro Bowler. Even without Randy Moss in the line-up, Culpepper and the offense are explosive. Linehan leaves, and Culpepper struggles to find receivers due to Moss's absence. Coincidence? Maybe, but then consider that Linehan's next stint is in Miami. In his presence, Miami becomes a 9-7 team and Gus Frerotte/Sage Rosenfels both look like viable NFL starters. Now this man could be another Norv Turner type, but the fact that he's extracted so much from his players indicates that he might be a great head coach.

Green Bay: What's that, offensive coordinator of the FORTY-NINERS? And Ron Rivera is just sitting there in Chicago? Gee, I wonder why people are pining for more minority hirings.:doh: Seriously, there's no explanation for this one other than to keep Favre from retiring. Now Jim Bates is gone as D coordinator and Green Bay looks really, really screwed.

Houston: I like this franchise's future. Gary Kubiak will try to implement a practical offensive system, and I do think that Carr-Bush-Andre Johnson could be a good team of triplets in the NFL. He has to sure up that patchy o-line, but this is actually a team that isn't as bleak as it looks.

Kansas City: I'm not really a fan of Herm. He extracts a lot from limited talent, but then he makes some of the most head-scratching personnel decisions and questionable play-calls. He might do well with Larry Johnson initially, but I'll look for him to fail in the long run.

Houston: I like this franchise's future. Gary Kubiak will try to implement a practical offensive system, and I do think that Carr-Bush-Andre Johnson could be a good team of triplets in the NFL. He has to sure up that patchy o-line, but this is actually a team that isn't as bleak as it looks.

When I went to the Arizona game... while in the press box during warmups... I managed to speak to a Cardinals scout. One of the most interesting football conversations I've ever had.

Here's what he told me:

(1) The problem with the Texans' 0-line isn't talent per se. Apparently, there was a feud between the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach.... who had different ideas about how to run the offense... and the team suffered as a result.

A new coach.... might just fix that problem. I believe it's salvageable.

(2) The word in NFL circles was.... in St. Louis... Mike Martz hired defensive coordinator last year Mike Marmie as HUGE payback for hiring him as a coach in a previous life. Apparently, Marmie was completely unqualified for the NFL level... his defensive schemes were downright pathetic. There were a lot of NFL people shaking their head at that hire.

Coincidentally, the results showed on the field.

The problem with the Texans' 0-line isn't talent per se. Apparently, there was a feud between the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach.... who had different ideas about how to run the offense... and the team suffered as a result.

That's interesting, and if that's the case then I think the Texans' position is even more favorable right now.

The hip cool thing is to hire young studs to be Head Coach. Everyone wants the next Gruden or Del Rio.

In recent years though I think it's proven that most of the time, Defensive assistans make the best Coaches.

John Fox, Jack Del Rio, Lovie Smith, Herman Edwards all were Defensive Coaches and have been successful.

But offensive guys like Mularkey haven't been as succesful.

Archived