Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there still a future for Mark Brunell in Washington?

jaderock

I know many of members dislike Mark Brunell with a passion and believe the future should be Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell.

Even though Brunell put up statistical numbers that were better than most NFC QBs, it seems that he gets dumped on more because of his inefficiency during the last month or so. I just think Brunell doesn't like to take risk esp throwing bombs down the field - however I do believe he's a good game manager.

I firmly believe Gibbs will stick with Brunell in 2006 unless he's injured. With Brunell the team was 10-6...with Ramsey maybe not and with Campbell definately not... So the question I throw out is were y'all satisifed with the season and the Wild Card win or do you feel disappointed?!? I for one am very proud of the Redskins...offensively still a bit uneven - at times spectacular and at times down right horrible.

Anyway, if you liked the Skins playoff appearance this year, Brunell is the best option for a repeat in 2006. I think Ramsey would force more passes that end up hurting the team and Campbell would struggle regardless (see Alex Smith this year - the 49ers sent Tim Rattay packing even though they could've won another 2-4 games with him vs Smith, Pickett and Dorsey...unless you're willing to sacrafice the present for the future...I don't see Campbell as the starter in 2006).

It's been a roller coaster ride all year - it was fun and I still support Mark Brunell - my favorite player. Until the preseason, bye for now.

If y'all got some time take a look at my Mark Brunell Card Collection and sign my guestbook if you don't mind.

while i acknowledge that brunell led us to a 10-6 record and a playoff win, i don't think he'll be the best option for us next season. as we all witnessed during the last couple weeks of the season, especially the two playoff games, brunell obviously wasn't the same quarterback that we had during the first half of the year. next year he's going to be a year older. what if his age starts showing earlier in the season next year? hell, what if he's non existent from the start like he was in 2004?

that being said, if he wins the starter job in preseason, so be it. i just don't like his longevity at this point.

I think Brunell will stay with the team in a backup role... mainly because it's apparent that his body cannot hold up to the pounding of the starting position. Additionally, he would be a TERRIFIC backup... because he's proven that in short stretches and when he's healthy he's a heck of a QB.

I'm starting to rethink the Ramsey thing.... potentially believing that his 2nd season immersed in the nuances of the Gibbs offense might make him a starter.

I know many of members dislike Mark Brunell with a passion and believe the future should be Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell. It's been a roller coaster ride all year - it was fun and I still support Mark Brunell - my favorite player. Until the preseason, bye for now.

If y'all got some time take a look at my Mark Brunell Card Collection and sign my guestbook if you don't mind.

To answer the question directly, IMHO, yes he does have a future with us because Gibbs beleives in the guy, end of story.

I don't dislike Mark with a passion or a prejudice nor am I a passionate supporter of Ramsey or Cambell but I do think in all fairness and by any measure, if the Superbowl is the goal, then Mark is past the time in his career that his physical tools make him the best or even better option.

Barring something amazing Brunell will be our starter next year - and personally I'm fine with that. He is not one of the top QBs at this point of his career but he is still a good starter - witness 23 TDs to 10 INTs and an mid 80's passer rating. Not to mention our first playoff win since 1999.

His skills have eroded and he needs to be healthy to be effective. we saw at the end of the season that when hurt he suffers a BIG drop off.

If we can continue to improve on the O'line (get Thomas back and get Dockery to continue to improve) plus add a #2 WR with Patten #3 we will be good to go.

Campbell will spend one more year learning and will take over in 2007.

Ramsey is interesting. He is in the last year of his contract and must want an opportunity to start over in a new situation. If he wants out he should be traded. If he thinks he can still win teh job in Washington given allwe will get is say a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd keep him around as a quality backup in case (or when) Brunnel gets hurt. We do not want a playoff caliber team strung out with no plan B at QB.

If I were Gibbs .... I would push Campbell to the forefront, make Brunell the backup, and ship Ramsey back to New Orleans. I would then sign Jay Feidler to take the 3rd slot. I would also pick up Antwan-El, Eric Moulds and an Offensive lineman via free agnecy, and promote Musgraves to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive with instructions to install a West Coast offense. Anything less will result in regression.

To answer the question directly, IMHO, yes he does have a future with us because Gibbs beleives in the guy, end of story.

I don't dislike Mark with a passion or a prejudice nor am I a passionate supporter of Ramsey or Cambell but I do think in all fairness and by any measure, if the Superbowl is the goal, then Mark is past the time in his career that his physical tools make him the best or even better option.

Agree 100%.

He would be the perfect backup but he isn't going to win a SB on any team other than the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. He doesn't find the open receiver and doesn't believe he can get the ball to the receiver unless he is 10 yards open. He only sees the left third of the field.

Mark Brunell, i think his times up and he should spend his last season mentoring jason campbell or somthing. Jason Campbell should know the offence by now and should be in shape by the next preseason. Hopfully he keeps in shape and works out alot in the offseason. I think he has the skill also and should start.

Patrick Ramsey will get a new team this offseason and it will be a trade every Redskin fan will want to forget Oh well, he wouldnt of been successfull here becuase steve spurrier ****ed him over.

I think if jason campbell works out and stays healthy and out of trouble this offseason hed be ready to go. Hopfully we can see him play next season.

Brunell, for all his courage and experience, cannot take the pounding of a 16 game season and ultimately is an injury waiting to happen. He would never, no matter how injured he was feeling, take himself out of a game.

But we can't just hand the job over to Ramsey (if he stays) or Campbell.

I say we open up the #1 job to a wide open competition this summer between Brunell and Campbell, and Ramsey of course if he stays.

No more hand-picked QB's to start without a competition. We need to declare the top spot open and get Jason Campbell time with the first team offense. I think if he sticks to what our coaches teach him in the offseason, he might very well surprise some people and get the #1 spot.

If there is a future, hopefully it's as a backup. I expect the team to regress next season if Brunell is depended on to start. Pretty much any type of injury to his legs takes away all of his arm strength and accuracy.

I'm probably less optimistic than most here on this board about our future due to the QB situation. We better hope Gibbs is right about Campbell and that he is ready to go sooner rather than later or I don't see a lot of hope for a Super Bowl anytime soon.

If there is a future, hopefully it's as a backup. I expect the team to regress next season if Brunell is depended on to start. Pretty much any type of injury to his legs takes away all of his arm strength and accuracy.

I'm probably less optimistic than most here on this board about our future due to the QB situation. We better hope Gibbs is right about Campbell and that he is ready to go sooner rather than later or I don't see a lot of hope for a Super Bowl anytime soon.

Trevor I agree. And whether will like it or not Campbell must start next season. Just look at Ben and what he has done in his second season. If we are going to be a running team then we better strat Campbell, let him throw it 20-25 times a game and let him learn. Brunell should be the backup because in a situation like Saturday if Campbell is not getting the Brunell can be very effective comming in. He is very good IMO when rested and healthy. He just can't get threw 16 games and then play well in the playoffs.

when i think of this situation it brings me back to Brad Johnson in 1999. He completely ran out of gas the last half of that season. I thought he was done. Our scoring went way down and I remember his passes losign all their zip. We know what he went on to do in Tampa. So this is tough. Also, I realize we have totally different sistuation here, with campbell waiting int he wings ....

The way I see it is:

Plain and simple. I've watched almost everyone here for weeks tell every Tampa, Philly, Seattle, whatever fan that Joe Gibbs is a genius, and Joe Gibbs is the greatest, on and on.

If Joe Gibbs thinks Brunell is his guy next year, and you are so sure Brunell HAS to be benched, then you must also feel it's time for Gibbs to go.

Either he's a great coach and knows what he's doing, or he doesn't.

You can't "half revere" a guy.

The way I see it is:

Plain and simple. I've watched almost everyone here for weeks tell every Tampa, Philly, Seattle, whatever fan that Joe Gibbs is a genius, and Joe Gibbs is the greatest, on and on.

If Joe Gibbs thinks Brunell is his guy next year, and you are so sure Brunell HAS to be benched, then you must also feel it's time for Gibbs to go.

Either he's a great coach and knows what he's doing, or he doesn't.

You can't "half revere" a guy.

The offense is the weak link to the team. The passing offense is the reason thy can not run the ball because 8 men are in the box. They have revamped the reciving core and offensive line two yrs in a row, added two starters to the offensive line this yr and 3 new wide outs. The offense still stinks. So Brunell has to go .

The odds that Brunell can handle the pounding every week get less and less every season. A healthy Brunell is good enough to take this team as far as it wants to go. The Skins won't be able to go all the way with a gimpy Brunell.

Eventually, this team is going to have to take its licks and play JC to let him learn. The Giants are going through this is Eli and it will pay off for them.

It's pretty simple really, if our goal is to win a SB Brunell has to go/be benched. Campbell has watched and learned for a year, start him next year and if he struggles some thats fine, it would be no different if Brunell is in. After Campbell has watched for a year, then played for a year in 2006, he should be ready to lead us in 2007. Brunell has to go.

I think Brunell will stay with the team in a backup role... mainly because it's apparent that his body cannot hold up to the pounding of the starting position. Additionally, he would be a TERRIFIC backup... because he's proven that in short stretches and when he's healthy he's a heck of a QB.

I'm starting to rethink the Ramsey thing.... potentially believing that his 2nd season immersed in the nuances of the Gibbs offense might make him a starter.

Agreed.

Except I believe that he'll be backing up Campbell, and Ramsey will be wearing another uniform.

I think Brunell is done. He was terrible the last few weeks of this season and we all know it. I don't mean to jump on the guy too much because I really apreciate that he led the team all season, but I don't think we'll improve next season if Mark is the starter. We can all make the excuses that he didn't have an adequate set of wideouts to work with, that he was injured, and that he doesn't make mistakes, but the truth is that he hasn't done anything since the 49er game. Truthfully, not making mistakes is great when you're playing Arizona, St. Louis, Tampa, and Philly and when your defense just dominates New York and Dallas, but when you play a team that's good on both sides of the ball (especially offense) like Seattle is, it just doesn't cut it. What I saw from Mark this year was a bunch of throw aways, skipped passes to receivers, and overthrows because, to put it simply, Mark is not comfortable in the pocket. He never steps into throws, so the only time he'll ever make a completion is when the receiver is wide open, it's a screen pass, or when he lobs the ball downfield and the corner isn't playing the ball.

Mark just doesn't pose a threat to sustain drives any more unless Gibbs calls specialized plays. Having receivers just run routes isn't an option when Brunell is the QB. We need some type of deception to be successful.

I haven't seen Campbell play at all so I'm not in favor of having him be the starter next season. I want Patrick Ramsey to be the starter next season. I think Ramsey can move the ball consistantly and I think it's now clear to him that Gibbs hates turnovers. I think he's worth a shot because he makes our passing game more threatening and I think because he has that big arm, he can hit Santana on every play. SM will always have some separation on every play because he's so quick. Ramsey has the arm to get him the ball before the defender can close. Brunell doesn't. Ramsey/Moss made a few good plays this year despite Ramsey's lack of playing time. Ramsey deserves another shot.

If the Redskins get another quality receiver Jason Campbell is more than capable of doing what Brunnell has done this year. Manage the game and make some good throws & your Skins should be right back where they were this year.

You mean sitting here watching the playoffs?

Archived