Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there still a future for Mark Brunell in Washington?

jaderock

Here's my take on Brunell.

I was always a fan of his when he was in Jacksonville and felt for him when he got shafted there. I was never a fan of him comming here. I have wanted a sucessful youth movement at the QB spot for many many years.

Last year he looked aweful. This year he managed games. He didn't win them and didn't lose them.

I was watching other games this weekend and one thing that stood out more then anything was the throws other teams make. They take chances. They try to fit it in tight spots and the reason they can do this is because of the zip they put on the ball. Brunell just doesn't have that. If you look at the age of the all the QB's in the playoffs they are

Roethlisberger - 25

Plummer - 30

Delhomme - 30

Brady - 29

P Manning - 29

Leftwich - 26

Simms - 26

Palmer - 25

E Manning - 25

Hasselback - 30

Grossman/Orton - 24/26

Then there's Brunell 36. Tell me what you see.

Brunell just can't make those throws anymore. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything he has done this year and how far he helped us get to but I also think we could of made it here with Ramsey. If we are to take the next step it won't happen with Brunell. It showed this year. As the year went on his throws started sailing high he looked less patient in the pocket and was afraid to take a chance with a throw.

We only have Gibbs for 3 more years and like all of you I want Gibbs to leave with one more SB win but we're wasteing time with Brunell. I think they should have gone with a Rookie from the begining or developed Ramsey in the eyes of Gibbs. Brunell will be 37 going into the season.

They say that Campbell isn't close to being ready and that is why I say let there be competition this offseason. If Ramsey is still here (which I think he will be) make Brunell beat him out. I believe that Ramsey has learned enough in the last 2yrs under Gibbs that he can perform.

This is just an opion of a fan.

That logic would give Mr. Spock a headache.

Then try this logic:

You had a team that fought hard, got you into the playoffs, and narrowly missed a game on the road.

Now while those guys are catching their breath, and before they can even heal all the breaks, sprains, and strains they suffered to get you there a lot of people here have their torches out and are getting a good old fashioned witch hunt up.

You want to guarantee a .500 season next year? Then start knee-jerk changing everything, split up guys that are just getting to get a feel for each other, and let them hear your carping in the press.

"Hail to the Redskins" (unless they don't win the Super Bowl of course)

then it's "Change all the Redskins"

The Mark Brunell experiment is over.

We've seen what he can do in crunch time and it's not enough.

We can sign T.O. and Reggie Wayne, shore up the line and he will still play exactly the same way. It's time to finally give Patrick Ramsey a chance. Give him a full season to prove himself then we'll have something to compare the two. You can't go by what he did under Spurrier, it was a college offense.

Gibbs already said last season that Brunell will be a Redskin no matter what. He's the QB and he's the starter. With Ramsey we might have finished 7-9 or 8-8 at best but with Brunell we could have been 13-3 if it wasn't for some close games. Mark Brunell led us to a 10-6 record and that's what counts. We got into the playoffs and he was a leader on and off the field. I'm sure that Brunell's future here is very bright indeed.

Mark Brunell led us to a 10-6 record and that's what counts. We got into the playoffs and he was a leader on and off the field. I'm sure that Brunell's future here is very bright indeed.

Brunell played pretty well this year, but you are not playing the odds if you think he can play even better when he's a year older. Pro athletes get so beat up throughout their career that you often see a sharp drop-off in their ability sometime shortly after they reach 35. Next year, Brunell's arm will be a little less strong. His legs will be a little less quick. And his performance will be a little less sharp. The only way Brunell leads this team to more success in 2006 is if he stays 100% healthy. If he doesn't, his play, just like over the past month, will be pathetic. He isn't spry enough to play injured anymore. And what are the chances that he stays 100% healthy into the playoffs? Slim to none. In the end, maybe that's all we can hope for. One thing is certain, Brunell is firmly "Gibbs' guy." Right now there is no reason to think that he won't be the starter come September 2006. But is that the right choice? I think you have to at least see what the young guys can do before making that decision.

With Ramsey we might have finished 7-9 or 8-8 at best but with Brunell we could have been 13-3 if it wasn't for some close games.

What crystal ball did you have? I keep seeing this and have yet to see anyone rationalize it other than "more interceptions".

Well maybe so, but we probably would have had less 3 and outs at crucial times. Maybe would have gotten a couple of first downs agains K.C. and won that game...against Denver...against the freakin' Raiders.

I just can't see how people fathom that Ramsey would have had a lesser year than Brunell.

Anyway, I vote NO to Brunell for what that's worth.

Watch Kitna vs the Steelers. He looked like he had no time either . And then watch Palmer on the play he got hurt. A good QB can put the ball where a old QB can not. The old QB needs players to be wide open.

Yeah your right, big play = torn ACL ... hmmm wise or not ... Yes risk can equate to huge rewards but it can also mean zero in the end as well. Don't forget the average life span of an NFL player is 2.75 years and Palmer just beat that avg! Sorry had to get that in.

Guys like Brnuell and Bledsoe have lived a long NFL life AND COACHES still believe in them - not primarliy for their athletic ability but for their character, leadership etc.

Gibbs doesn't believe in Ramsey. Ramsey is gone. Ramsey will also demand to be traded for cut- seeing all the opportunities out there for him. So, goodbye Ramsey.

Brunnell will be back as starter but we need an experienced backup that can come in. Campbell is to green and we don't want a possible superbowl contending team in his hands. Campbell's year is 2007.

Gibbs doesn't believe in Ramsey. Ramsey is gone. Ramsey will also demand to be traded for cut- seeing all the opportunities out there for him. So, goodbye Ramsey.

Brunnell will be back as starter but we need an experienced backup that can come in. Campbell is to green and we don't want a possible superbowl contending team in his hands. Campbell's year is 2007.

I dont think Ramsey will leave. He knows the system and If you do gewt rid of him you take a chance on someone not knowing the system.

Yeah your right, big play = torn ACL ... hmmm wise or not ... Yes risk can equate to huge rewards but it can also mean zero in the end as well. Don't forget the average life span of an NFL player is 2.75 years and Palmer just beat that avg! Sorry had to get that in.

Guys like Brnuell and Bledsoe have lived a long NFL life AND COACHES still believe in them - not primarliy for their athletic ability but for their character, leadership etc.

Putting aside the Ram/Brunell thing, what does Palmer's injury have to do with risk? It was a GREAT pass and Palmer has been great all year. It was a freak injury.

Brunell almost got his knee torn up, it's just the guy came from the FRONT and not the side. Did his injury have anything to do with risk?

Palmer has character AND ability and is young. I'm not sure what your point is other than to pump up your football card centerpiece.

My $0.02:

The biggest knock on Brunell is his age. Relax, He's 35.

Brad Johnson just had a decent year at 37.

Steve Beuerlein had the 8th highest passing total in NFL history at 34.

Rich Gannon was an NFL MVP at 37.

Elway was a SB MVP at 39.

Steve Deberg had a 101.2 passer rating at 37 AND led the Falcons to the SB at 45! (so does that mean we'll have to wait 20 years for Mike to do the same?)

I could go on, but the point is that Brunell has AT LEAST one more year in him if he can stay healthy. Give the guy a chance with the better supporting cast (i.e. better depth on the o-line so if a guy like R Thomas goes down... and a legit no.2 reciever) and you will get better results. You cannot guarantee that to be the case with either Campbell or Ramsey.

This team can't afford to make the wholesale changes it did to "put itself over the top" the way it did after the 10-6 '99 season or after the 8-8 '01 season when they started 0-5.

Ramsey is a solid no.2... and I'm far from sold on Jason Campbell.

Perhaps...in today's end -of-year press conference JG said he and Patrick will be talking over the next few weeks. I tend to believe Patrick will be traded to a team that likes to throw the ball downfield and doesn't rely as much on "touch" passes.

The knock on PR has been inability to throw "touch" passes, inconsistent decision-making (ie. takes too many chances by trying to force balls into coverage) and lack of mobility. PR was suited for all out passing attack, doesn't seem to fit well with JG style.

Coach said some interesting things about JC during the press conference. Said Jason had learned a lot this year and benefited from meetings and practices, particularly summer camp experience. Also joked that Carlos Rogers and coaches had been telling Jason in recent weeks that he will need to start earning his money next year.

Coach said Jason could make all the throws, makes good decisions, has great speed, is big and strong and dificult to sack, and shows good sense of pocket...slides around well.

Earlier posts suggesting salary cap issues will come into play for this decision are probably right on.

AS of today I have to believe we'll come into camp with MB and JC and a couple of other quarteback free agents and Patrick will be somewhere else.

When JG was here before he benched a couple of quarterbacks who were supposed to be locks as starters, so I'm not sure at this point that MB is a lock as starter next year. Remember Doug Williams replaced Mark Rypien at quarterback the year we won that Super Bowl.

To answer the question directly, IMHO, yes he does have a future with us because Gibbs beleives in the guy, end of story.

I don't dislike Mark with a passion or a prejudice nor am I a passionate supporter of Ramsey or Cambell but I do think in all fairness and by any measure, if the Superbowl is the goal, then Mark is past the time in his career that his physical tools make him the best or even better option.

Yea, thats what many thought about Doug Williams in '87.

Archived