Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patrick Ramsey Should Start On Saturday

RiggoReincarnated

You seem to be playing the game on paper, paper which shows Ramsey to have a stronger arm and put up, generally, more yards.

If the game were played on paper, we would lose to the Seahawks by at least 9.5 points and, according to the numbers, shouldn't even bother showing up.

No if we were playing the game on paper, you would say Brunell should definitely be benched after 9-25, and 7-15 for 41 yards directly after an injury. But the ugly stepsister of looking strictly at stats is what media people as well as part of this thread have pointed out: Young Qbs can't win in the playoffs. It is such a dense and far-sighted analysis. How old was Tom Brady when he started winning superbowls? How experienced was Jake Delhomme when he took the panthers to the super bowl? I rather prefer braking down each offensive play of the Redskins game from my DVR. Here's what I found: The playcalling and offensive line were just as detrimental to the lack of production as Brunell was. The O-line got little push and the run on 1st, 2nd, throw on 3rd was so predictable that Mark barely had a chance. Also, Samuels and Ray Brown were burned continuously. There were 4 incompletions that were inexcusable, with varying degrees of crapiness. The first being the missed hitch and go to Moss: people on HR talked about this play, debating whether it would've worked, well it would've but a perfect touch pass was required and Brunell threw it over the outstretched arms of Moss (though it was catchable, and upfield throw couldve resulted in 7). The second was a play when Brunell dropped back and actually had a perfect pocket and must have seen invisible Simeon Rices because instead of standing in it and delivering a pass or running, he rolled out backwards and to his left and threw the ball to a defenseless Portis who was immediately whacked for a 4 yard loss. The third was a throw that has to have indication of Brunell's injury as he stepped in to a 3rd down throw on their own 15 yard line and simply threw a pass at Moss' feet on a comback route for a first down. The most inexcusable play of course was the famous rollout followed by a throw-across-your-body qb 101 mistake to a not even remotely open Taylor Jacobs. The only completions Mark had were dumpoffs to backs, Cooley, a few three step drops and quick 5 yard throws to Moss and a 3 yard 1st down gain on a pick route to thrash. No offese to Mark but these balls could've been thrown by a high school qb. Mark does have a knack for making certain crucial plays but the O-line, playcalling, and play of Brunell will all have to increase dramatically because you must move the ball at least competently to win 99% of the game in this league. If Mark can't do it, put in Ramsey. If he can, get him the protection and open up the offense.

The third was a throw that has to have indication of Brunell's injury as he stepped in to a 3rd down throw on their own 15 yard line and simply threw a pass at Moss' feet on a comback route for a first down.

That's the one I was talking about.

The most inexcusable play of course was the famous rollout followed by a throw-across-your-body qb 101 mistake to a not even remotely open Taylor Jacobs.

For anyone who says Brunell never forces throws or turns the ball over, this is exhibit A. He had struggled all game, he knew he wasn't getting it done, and he tried to do something he was not capable of doing to compensate for it. Just like last year.

Gibbs will stick with the man that got us here.

Hopefully he has the nerve not to stick with him if it means watching the rest of the postseason from home. You're probably right though. He'll probably sink or swim with Brunell, which means we'll only go as far as Brunell takes us, so all we can do is hope he improves dramatically.

No if we were playing the game on paper, you would say Brunell should definitely be benched after 9-25, and 7-15 for 41 yards directly after an injury.

Of course you don't! Why would you say that? Face it, looking at statistics alone -- particularly two games and an injury whose extent you just don't know -- makes no sense.

But the ugly stepsister of looking strictly at stats is what media people as well as part of this thread have pointed out: Young Qbs can't win in the playoffs. It is such a dense and far-sighted analysis. How old was Tom Brady when he started winning superbowls? How experienced was Jake Delhomme when he took the panthers to the super bowl?

Tom Brady's first game was at home against Oakland. A much different scenario from being on the road in a loud stadium against the #1 seed and its All-Pro offense.

Jake Delhomme's first game was at home against Dallas. See the above. Furthermore, their only choice at backup was Rodney Peete, who in his 14th season had only had three games of playoff experience.

Your analysis about the offense is correct; we did not execute in all phases. Whether or not Brunell's injury had anything to do with it, I'm not sure, because we flat out underperformed as a whole in the Tampa game on offense. I'm not smart enough, nor do I know enough, to say with definitive certainty that Brunell's injury is negatively impacting his play.

All I know is (a) we go with Brunell, who should start; (B) I'm sure Joe Gibbs has been around enough to know when to pull his quarterback in the middle of a playoff game.

Of course you don't! Why would you say that? Face it, looking at statistics alone -- particularly two games and an injury whose extent you just don't know -- makes no sense.

Tom Brady's first game was at home against Oakland. A much different scenario from being on the road in a loud stadium against the #1 seed and its All-Pro offense.

Jake Delhomme's first game was at home against Dallas. See the above. Furthermore, their only choice at backup was Rodney Peete, who in his 14th season had only had three games of playoff experience.

QUOTE]

All I'm saying is that experience means nothing without ability. Everyone keeps pointing out that all these young qbs lost but I think they lost to a better qb.

Leftwich--lost in Foxborough to arguably the best QB in football, don't think a washed up veteran would've done much better.

- Manning- lost to a better qb in Jake Delhomme.

- Simms was a dropped pass away from willing a team with no running game against a swarming skins D to a tie.

- You saw what happened to Cincy when the talented youngster was replaced with the veteran (though he has no playoff experience) it was at home.

All I'm saying is that experience means nothing without ability. Everyone keeps pointing out that all these young qbs lost but I think they lost to a better qb.

Leftwich--lost in Foxborough to arguably the best QB in football, don't think a washed up veteran would've done much better.

- Manning- lost to a better qb in Jake Delhomme.

- Simms was a dropped pass away from willing a team with no running game against a swarming skins D to a tie.

- You saw what happened to Cincy when the talented youngster was replaced with the veteran (though he has no playoff experience) it was at home.

I know what you're saying. Of course I agree, if you've got a guy with talent who is your franchise quarterback -- or at least, your undisputed starter -- then you let it ride for the playoffs.

I also know what Brunell is capable of, and until someone in the know tells me otherwise, I'm going to continue to believe that he can perform at the same high level as he has this season.

2005 Mark Brunell gives us the best chance to win. In my opinion, no doubt about it. I'll let the coaching staff and trainers, and Mark himself, tell me if injuries should lead me to a different conclusion.

Do YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WE CANNOT FLUCK AROUND AND EXPECT TO WIN?! WHO WANTS TO LET THESE PUSSES TAKE US AND SAY THEY ARE NOW DESERVING AFTER 21 YEARS OF GETTING KNOCKED OUT AS A WILD CARD?! I SURE AS HELL DONT

BRUNELL NEARLY COST US THE GAME AGAINST PHILLY AND SCORED ZERO, ZERO IN THE SECOND HALF LAST WEEK. THROUGH A COSTLY INTERCEPTION THOUGH.

THE ATTITUDE HAS TO BE ONE OF SEEK AND DESTROY MAN. THOSE FANS ARE GONNA ME MERCILESS AND WE CAN'T HAVE THIS TENTATIVE BULL**** ON OFFENSE ANYMORE.

TIME TO STOP FLUCKING AROUND AND GET BACK TO NO MERCY OFFENSIVE ATTACK LIKE WE HAD AGAINST DALLAS, BUT BRUNELL IS INJURED SO HES DANCING AND WAITING AROUND AND NOT PUTTING ANY MEAT INTO HIS THROWS!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Stop.... :laugh: :laugh: I'm laughing way to hard at work. :laugh:

Did you goto the same school as Pittman4two. Your comedy is almost the same.

Brunell has to perform better if we want to have a shot at winning this week. That's the bottom line.

I trust that Gibbs will pull him if it clear that we need a spark to get the offense rolling.

I doubt that it will happen but I trust that GIbbs knows who gives us the best shot.

Brunells playoff experience is the main reason to keep in there. Don't make mistakes, turnovers and feed portis the ball. Throw in the occasional Wide Receiver screen, Bootleg passes to Cooley and Royal and maybe 1 or 2 deep passes to keep them honest.

He just needs to manage the game and we HAVE to win the Time of Possession battle.

The only to beat a good offense is to keep them off the field and out of rhythm.

Brunell has to perform better if we want to have a shot at winning this week. That's the bottom line.

I trust that Gibbs will pull him if it clear that we need a spark to get the offense rolling.

I doubt that it will happen but I trust that GIbbs knows who gives us the best shot.

The thing is, Seattle isn't Tampa, if Brunells not on his game by halftime, and Seattle has a 2 touchdown lead...its very unlikely putting Ramsey in will do anything to change the outcome.

Archived