Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we already call this season a success?

Goaldeje

This topic has appeared several times in threads over the last week or two. I am one who does indeed consider this season a success even if we had not made the play-offs when we beat philly. Of course, I want to beat Tampa as much as breathe.

Me personally......just beating the Cowboys twice was a success in it'self.

The fact that we dominated our division (usually, the toughest one out there), and swept the boys and iggles, constities a winning season.

Being above 6-10 constitutes a good season.

So, being 10-6, and headed to Tampa constitutes a GREAT season.

I'm happy no matter the outcome on Saturday.

But I'm happier with a win!!!

Hail!:point2sky

I'd call it a success. The culture of the football team has changed dramatically and the foundation for solid teams for the next few seasons has been laid, IMO.

Also, the team has developed an identity. During the 5 game winning streak, the team has utilized a punishing running game and a tough defense as a means of carrying the squad to the playoffs.

Regardless of what occurs in the postseason, this team has taken a big step in the journey of becoming a legitimate NFL contender again.

We swept the Cowboys and the Eagles, went 5-1 in our division, and made the playoffs. Considering our recent history, that is certainly a success. That isnt to say I'm satisfied, but whenver this season does end, I will be able to look back fondly on it.

This season is a huge success! Our offense made big strides. Our D was great, we had some issues in the middle of the season, but I think that was due to injuries. We were able to hold our own in the division, sweeping 2 of the teams and splitting with the other. Our O-Line looks like it has gelled pretty well. Portis has gotten used to the running game. We've got a lot of talent of both sides of the ball. We won 4 more games over last year, and we're in the playoffs. Plus, the way I look at it, we don't have gaping holes to fill. This past season WR, Center, CB, and DE were all gaping holes, that's a lot to fill. DE is our biggest area of need. Outside of that we have role players that are needed. We need a number 2 receiver, hardly a big hole, there are a lot of FA who can fill that role, we need some depth at CB, but we have solid starters. We may need to get a TE to provide competition for Robert Royal. When you look at that as being our situation that's not bad at all.

Gibbs beat the Girls twice, didn't he?

That's the one thing Snyder and his small army of coaches (pre-Gibbs) never got: Skins fans would rather go 2-14, with both wins over the Cowgirls, than go 8-8 and lose even once to them.

As far as I'm concerned, once he beat the Cowboys the season was a success. Beating the Giants and the Eagles was just gravy.

It's going to sound like I'm on drugs, but oh well...

Some of the changes that have occurred to make this season a success would cause this team and the fans to feel as though they failed if they don't win in TB.

What I mean is that the culture is different and THAT is why this season will be considered a success from the outside looking in. But due to that change, nothing short of a deep playoff run would satisfy the coaches and players...

I love the direction of this team and will be happy with this year when it ends...I'm just not ready for that to happen just yet!

My :2cents: ......let's wait until the season is over before we start looking back on it. To be honest, I cannot be satisfied when there are games which lay ahead. So, if you asked me now......no, I am not satisfied unless we beat TB. Next week my response will be "if we beat Seattle"......and so on and so forth. Have we made huge strides? Hell yea. But the fact is we have the opportunity to run the table in a conference that is as wide open as it has EVER been.....so accomplishing this will leave me truly satisfied.....

Some of the changes that have occurred to make this season a success would cause this team and the fans to feel as though they failed if they don't win in TB.

What I mean is that the culture is different and THAT is why this season will be considered a success from the outside looking in. But due to that change, nothing short of a deep playoff run would satisfy the coaches and players...

That's kind of what I was getting at with this thread, you just ennunciated better than I.

At the beginning of the year, I would have been thrilled to think of this season we have had. But now, I find myself refusing to even acknowledge we could lose to TB, b/c of the incredible disappointment.

I think this is again an incredible testament to Coach Gibbs, and the winning ways he is fostering with the Skins.

Great season, best season in years!!! SWEEP the girls, SWEEP the eagles SUCK, split with the gmen. Not to shabby. 5 in a row to close it out! Portis gains 1500+ yds, Moss over a 1000, Brunell quiets the critics long enough to show he's got something left in the tank! Lavar gets back on the field, GW signs extension, GIBBS is at the helm! WOW, win or lose we havent had this many positives in a long, long time. By the way, WE WILL WIN!!! HTTR!!!

Archived