Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Complaining about the officiating in the first game.

PetePierson

Thanks Art. Pretty much my biggest beef with that call was A) How late it was made and B) that it was made. He could not see whether alstott made it. The Replay Challenge should have been whether he made it not whether he didn't. But some reason after the play was over for a good while he decides to call TD. Just not how reffing should be. He should make the call he sees not make guesses.

But, since the official didn't see the initial score either, that is what made the call bad. Surely even Bucs fans would agree with that.

That is funny Art because I visited a Bucs board about this very thing after our first game and not one poster admitted that the ref made a mistake by signaling the 2pt conversion good in the first place. I don't know if it was a general lack of integrity or just blinding bias.

It is sad because the other night in the Notre Dame game the NCAA ref called it correctly when he was not sure if the ball had crossed the plane. He withheld the TD signal and left it up to the replay booth.

It is very disappointing that a NCAA ref got it right and the NFL ref didn't.

I see a lot of complaining about the 2-point conversion during the first Bucs / Skins game. However, the Washington kick return for a TD, was a missed call as well. The kick returner was clearly out of bounds. Let’s be fair, the officiating was poor on both sides. To be honest, I was not convinced that Alstott was in for the 2 pt. conversion but didn’t see enough to overturn it (yes, obviously I am bias). But come on, is that the only reason the Skins lost? Giving up 36 to a 23rd ranked offense? But then again, the Skins hung up 35 on the #1 ranked D.

Either way, here’s to a great game with no injuries.

Bucs 24 – Skins 20

He absolutly was not out of bounds. His tow came down in bonds and his heel or outside of his foot did not touch the ground. We've seen it shown many times and it was quite obvious from all angles that he didn't step out.

It was quite obvious that the ball didn't cross the plane from the replays, however live everyone thought it was a touchdown. Also, the penalty that was called on the blocked xtra point never happened either as the center moved the ball. --- There never should've been an opportunity to go for the 2 pt converstion.

Now lets stop talking about this subject as your going to be ousted from the playoffs this week anyway.

That is funny Art because I visited a Bucs board about this very thing after our first game and not one poster admitted that the ref made a mistake by signaling the 2pt conversion good in the first place. I don't know if it was a general lack of integrity or just blinding bias.

It is sad because the other night in the Notre Dame game the NCAA ref called it correctly when he was not sure if the ball had crossed the plane. He withheld the TD signal and left it up to the replay booth.

It is very disappointing that a NCAA ref got it right and the NFL ref didn't.

Agreed.

The rules of the game forbid the official from making the call he made, yet he made it. The SAME official who made the bogus push-out call I believe. It's very sad the official willfully and KNOWINGLY decided to violate the rules to make a call he's not supposed to make.

I am not going to sit here and debate the merits of any calls from the last Redskins/Bucs game, as there is no need, the game is long over and the Bucs won. The end... For all intents and purposes, this is a new season, and both teams have matured in their own way. I will not sit here and say the Redskins are going to kill or destroy the Bucs, as I am aware that anything can happen in the NFL on any given Sunday (or saturday). I will however, hope and pray that they do...Go SKINS!

Gruden is no slouch when it comes to the X’s and O’s either. And there is no way the Skins put up 42 on the Bucs’ D.

considering they put up 35 points on the Bucs' D already this season... and now they are scoring more points per game... i think this is very feasible

Agreed.

The rules of the game forbid the official from making the call he made, yet he made it. The SAME official who made the bogus push-out call I believe. It's very sad the official willfully and KNOWINGLY decided to violate the rules to make a call he's not supposed to make.

Obsess much? Pretty soon you'll find yourself as a transgendered police Lt. in Miami muttering "laces out", er I mean "elbow down".

Obsess much? Pretty soon you'll find yourself as a transgendered police Lt. in Miami muttering "laces out", er I mean "elbow down".

It might prove beneficial to you if you revealed enough intelligence to realize who opened this thread and who is responding to it. I have no obsession over the call. The call was wrong. All of us know it. Even you.

To say the truth, you're right. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn the play. The problem is the play was called so obviously wrong to begin with -- the official running in, unable to see him across the line until the pile cleared -- that the call deserves some serious questioning.

The presumption on such a play is he did NOT get in unless you SEE it. The official didn't until AFTER the play was over when he raised his hands. The right call, by NFL rulebook, was to call no points and allow replay to evaluate it. By doing what he did he essentially GAVE a team a win on a call that was wrongly made by rule.

Exactly. Watching that play over and over you can't see Alstott cross the goal from any angle so there is no way the ref saw the ball itself over the line when he raised his hands for the score.

NFL refs need to get some training.

To be fair you should not expect any support anywhere other than in your statement that you're right there wasn't enough evidence to overrule the bad call. But, since the official didn't see the initial score either, that is what made the call bad. Surely even Bucs fans would agree with that.

Whats interesting about that call though is that they made a similar mistake in a game against the Lions in Tampa a few weeks earlier at the very end of the game. Except in this one the Lions were the ones who scored and they took away the score without any evidence showing that there was no score. Exactly the opposite of what happened in our game.

Here is a recap of that one

"WEEK 4 - LIONS @ BUCCANEERS: Trailing 17-13 in the closing seconds, Lions QB Joey Harrington hit TE Marcus Pollard with an apparent go ahead score. While initially signalling TD, upon review, referee Gerald Austin ruled that Pollard's left knee had touched the right sideline before he had control. One of my favorite writers, Tuesday Morning Quarterback Columnist Greg Easterbrook had a different take... "Here is Tuesday Morning Quarterback's official analysis of the replay decision that overturned the Detroit score, allowing Tampa to win: my analysis is, IT WAS A TOUCHDOWN! Lions fans, the football gods owe you one."Isn't there supposedly some sort of rule that states NFL officials are not to overturn a call on the field unless there is conclusive evidence the original call was wrong? What part of "conclusive" do NFL officials have trouble grasping?

The call before the 2 pt conversion was BS as well. The Bucs missed the kick, but the refs made a phantom call, then they made a phantom call on the very next play on the bogus 2 pt conversion.

I was wondering about that, it didn't appear that the Skins jumped offsides but because they got a great running start before the snap, it could have looked like an offsides penalty. The two point conversion was worse than that, but by far the worst call of the game was the force out that set up the first Bucs TD, not even close. :logo:

Gruden is no slouch when it comes to the X’s and O’s either. And there is no way the Skins put up 42 on the Bucs’ D.

Gruden's good, but he's NO Joe Gibbs!!

But you're right. We should never have allowed 34 or "36" points to the Bucs! We also shouldn't have allowed 36 to the G'aints the first time. And we all know how that two-game series ended up, don't we?! :silly:

I see a lot of complaining about the 2-point conversion during the first Bucs / Skins game. However, the Washington kick return for a TD, was a missed call as well. The kick returner was clearly out of bounds. Let’s be fair, the officiating was poor on both sides. To be honest, I was not convinced that Alstott was in for the 2 pt. conversion but didn’t see enough to overturn it (yes, obviously I am bias). But come on, is that the only reason the Skins lost? Giving up 36 to a 23rd ranked offense? But then again, the Skins hung up 35 on the #1 ranked D.

Either way, here’s to a great game with no injuries.

Bucs 24 – Skins 20

actually he wasnt out of bounds

Agreed.

Art hits the nail on the head here. When you watch the game in real time, the play is clearly over and the officials haven't made a call either way yet, because obviously they have no idea where Allstot and/or the ball landed. Then about 10 seconds after the play is whistled dead, the sideline official just decides to come running over to the dogpile signaling the conversion successful. That right there rendered the replay 99% useless since it is harder to get a call overturned.

There was no evidence whatsoever to prove Betts was out of bounds. His heel was in the air.

There was evidence to prove Galloway doesnt make that catch inbounds and Tampa doesent get the first TD.

There was also NO evidence whatsoever to show Allstot ever got that ball across the line. Ill be honest, Tampa was given a lot in that game. But lets not kid ourselves, we gave up 36 points or close to it, even WHEN we shut down their running game. Thats just not good enough. We also elected to give them the ball back at the end of the game when they had moved down the field all over our defense all day.

Archived