Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Complaining about the officiating in the first game.

PetePierson

I see a lot of complaining about the 2-point conversion during the first Bucs / Skins game. However, the Washington kick return for a TD, was a missed call as well. The kick returner was clearly out of bounds. Let’s be fair, the officiating was poor on both sides. To be honest, I was not convinced that Alstott was in for the 2 pt. conversion but didn’t see enough to overturn it (yes, obviously I am bias). But come on, is that the only reason the Skins lost? Giving up 36 to a 23rd ranked offense? But then again, the Skins hung up 35 on the #1 ranked D.

Either way, here’s to a great game with no injuries.

Bucs 24 – Skins 20

You are right, the Betts return was questionable. However, the Alstott 2-pointer was obviously no good. Regardless, that game is in the past.

I don't think the 'skins will let it be that close again, we know now that TB officiating is questionable so we'll just have to dominate. Also, Gibbs' teams have a history of playing much better against teams when they get a second shot (a glance at this season and his previous tenure will verify this). Factor in the payback motivation and I forsee a blowout.

Skins - 42

Bucs - 14

As you say, here's to a great game with no injuries.:cheers:

Honestly.... All I really got from that post was "here’s to a great game with no injuries." and I reciprocate that feeling.

"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs?" -Jim Mora

I'm Talking About Playoffs Baby!

HTTR

Also, if we're talking an eye for an eye, Galloway was out of bounds on that first "catch", and was never even touched. The Bucs would have had to punt, meaning no TD, and that only gives you guys 28 points.

agreed. No way was that DPI, and the Bucs shouldnt have gotten an auto 1st down for it. Doesnt matter though, that is the past and this is the present. Best of all Revenge is Sweet.

:point2sky

Honestly.... All I really got from that post was "here’s to a great game with no injuries." and I reciprocate that feeling.

"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs?" -Jim Mora

I'm Talking About Playoffs Baby!

HTTR

I believe you mean the paloffs. :doh:

I cant beleive you would bring up that kickoff return. It is clear that Betts' heel doesnt touch the chalk. The Alstott call however, had, in my opinion, along with the announcers of that game, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, and anyone else i have talked to, bias or not, substantial evidence to overturn the call. But this game is in the past, and we will not discuss it any longer. This game will be different, Portis is on a roll, Sean is back, Cornelius is large and in charge, and our O-Line is playing its best football, especially Chris Samuels. The Simeon Rice-Chris Samuels matchup should be a good one. Heres to a great game where the Skins dominate. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, HAIL VICTORY!!!

You are right, the Betts return was questionable. However, the Alstott 2-pointer was obviously no good. Regardless, that game is in the past.

I don't think the 'skins will let it be that close again, we know now that TB officiating is questionable so we'll just have to dominate. Also, Gibbs' teams have a history of playing much better against teams when they get a second shot (a glance at this season and his previous tenure will verify this). Factor in the payback motivation and I forsee a blowout.

Skins - 42

Bucs - 14

As you say, here's to a great game with no injuries.:cheers:

Gruden is no slouch when it comes to the X’s and O’s either. And there is no way the Skins put up 42 on the Bucs’ D.

I cant beleive you would bring up that kickoff return. It is clear that Betts' heel doesnt touch the chalk. The Alstott call however, had, in my opinion, along with the announcers of that game, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, and anyone else i have talked to, bias or not, substantial evidence to overturn the call. But this game is in the past, and we will not discuss it any longer. This game will be different, Portis is on a roll, Sean is back, Cornelius is large and in charge, and our O-Line is playing its best football, especially Chris Samuels. The Simeon Rice-Chris Samuels matchup should be a good one. Heres to a great game where the Skins dominate. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, HAIL VICTORY!!!

I am concerned about the Samuels / Rice match up. But didn't your left guard break his leg in the Cowboys game? Portis has had two big games against the Bucs, I think the streak ends Saturday.

Even if Betts was out of bounds, and there was nothing showing that he was, the Redskins still might have scored 6 on the drive. Likely in fact considering how the game was going.

But Alstott not being in was the end of the game. And everybody besides Bucs fans agree that he wasn't in.

Doesn't really matter anymore though it changed where this game is being played this weekend. Taylor and Griffin are back. Your team isn't going to score like they did last time.

To say the truth, you're right. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn the play. The problem is the play was called so obviously wrong to begin with -- the official running in, unable to see him across the line until the pile cleared -- that the call deserves some serious questioning.

The presumption on such a play is he did NOT get in unless you SEE it. The official didn't until AFTER the play was over when he raised his hands. The right call, by NFL rulebook, was to call no points and allow replay to evaluate it. By doing what he did he essentially GAVE a team a win on a call that was wrongly made by rule.

The Betts call was obviously the same. The official had to SEE Betts out of bounds. He didn't, so he couldn't presume he was as he did with the Alstott 2-pointer. More importantly, the Bucs were also given another scoring drive with a horrid call on a push out earlier in the game.

The simple fact is had the officials simply made ALL the calls as they should have by the rules of the game the Bucs would not have won. That's ok. It's also not in dispute. Admiting that fact is not a diminishment on a fine effort by your team. Only it was clear without the assistance you'd not have won. How that impacts this game is unknown, but, the fact that we've seen enough on the field with appropriate calls to have confidence in our team at your place is enough for me.

But didn't your left guard break his leg in the Cowboys game? Portis has had two big games against the Bucs, I think the streak ends Saturday.

Right Guard Randy Thomas broke his leg & Ray Brown stepped up. The line hasn't missed a beat as Portis continued to have 100+ yard games.

I'm sorry Betts heel never touches the ground and there was no visual proof it did, On the other hand, we had indisputable evidence Alstott's elbow did fall short of the goaline before he rolled on his back and moved the ball across the plain.

Plain and simple.

On the blocked PAT....while it looks like both outside guys move sooner than everyone else, we have no idea when the ball was snapped from the angle we as fans were allowed to see. The strangest thing was that they both went at the exact same time and their heads were looking down the LOS at the ball.

then later I hear that the center moved the front nose of the football up right before snapping it..as a center, you are allowed to change the angle of the ball, but not while the QB is using cadence.

Thing is, even if you believe that the Betts call was wrong, we'd still have had great field position and there is no reason to believe we would not have scored. Complaining about that call would be more akin to complaints about the bad call on the pass since that was a second down play, you cannot definitively contend that the Bucs would not have scored on that drive anyway. To blame the refs for costing you the game, points MUST be scored (or taken away) by the bad call that would directly change the outcome of the game with no opportunity to rectify the bad call and, of course, you must have definitive proof. Both sides can complain about the officiating but ONLY the Redskins can complain that bad officiating cost them the game.

I did not convey my original post clearly enough, my bad. I am not trying to debate the merit or lack thereof the calls/non calls. The officiating was poor on both sides, albeit the Bucs obviously have less to complain about since they won. It was a very competitive game and I expect no less this Saturday. I was just surprised at all the posts insinuating the Bucs could only beat the Skins because of the referees. And no, I do not expect overwhelming support for the Buccaneers on a Skins’ board.

I did not convey my original post clearly enough, my bad. I am not trying to debate the merit or lack thereof the calls/non calls. The officiating was poor on both sides, albeit the Bucs obviously have less to complain about since they won. It was a very competitive game and I expect no less this Saturday. I was just surprised at all the posts insinuating the Bucs could only beat the Skins because of the referees. And no, I do not expect overwhelming support for the Buccaneers on a Skins’ board.

To be fair you should not expect any support anywhere other than in your statement that you're right there wasn't enough evidence to overrule the bad call. But, since the official didn't see the initial score either, that is what made the call bad. Surely even Bucs fans would agree with that.

Archived