Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Applications

nuposse87

So I'm about ready so send out my applications. I'm hopeful on most of em but I can;t help but be a little stressed. Were any of you elder fellas stressed out or did u suffer from senioritis? I actually need to write 2 personal statements but I'm not really good when bragging about myself. Wish me luck.:cheers:

Wasn't worried at all until parents started telling me stories about how people with straight A's couldn't get into some schools. Turn out to be total bs, i got into every University i applied to. Mailed in the 2nd half of my senior year.

Don't worry about it too much, there's plenty of schools out there.

Both, I was stressed out because I knew I underachieved so my Fr-Jr year grades sucked and my SAT score might not be able to make up for it (it didn't). I also knew that Senior year really didn't matter that much so I didn't bother doing much work then either. Early on going home and looking for the big envelope (acceptance) and finding the small one (rejection) was pretty dissapointing, but after I knew where I was going the rest of the year was butter.

Good luck with your personal statements. I know it is a pain in the ass writing about yourself, but brag as much as possible if you don't stand out you will drown in the sea of other applicants that are as qualified if not more so. If I regret anything it is that I failed to show why I was special. Don't assume that the adcoms will somehow know why you are an interesting person, spell it out for them.

PS

Apply online whenever possible

i was gonna stay in VA, and was gonna apply to 4 schools. My parents were also on my case and were getting me stressed out, and not to be ****y, but I knew I would get into at least 3 of the 4 I applied to. I kinda wanted to go to JMU and knew Id get in, also wanted to go to UVA, and I was wait listed at first then rejected. I got into Tech also but didnt want to go there, and would have applied to Mason but I just got accepted to JMU so didnt care anymore.

I wasnt nervous, but my family was. Only pressure on me was for UVA, and I didnt really care at the time, though now I do wish I had gone there.

My sister got accepted into UVA last year, thats the only reason why my parents want me to apply there. I'm more bent on getting into V-Tech or JMU. I really have no shot at UVA, I have a 3.4 (with 6 ap classes, for whatever that is worth). Thanks for the advise Liberty.

Ehh, just make up stuff. They don't check that stuff anyway.

Trust me ;)

And oh yeah, screw VA come to MD!

He is right they don't. A "friend" of mine wrote down he was the President or VP of a bunch of different clubs. He said he was the President of the debate team (we didn't have a debate team) and he said he played soccer throughout high school and was a captain (= he was cut every year except Sr. year.) We both had about the same grades, but my SAT's were higher. He got in to William & Mary and I was rejected. I wonder why...

Do you really want to be that guy? Don't lie on your application it isn't fair to others and you are only telling yourself you don't have what it takes. If you get caught you can be kicked out AFTER you were admitted, but most likely you will get away with it. You can still exaggerate some of your accomplishments, but don't outright lie about them, it isn't right.

ew, why? JMU is so much better. People are friendlier and the atmosphere there is just on point. Enjoy yourself there!!!!

well, i graduate in a semester, so not much time left. I have enjoyed myself, but only with a crowd that is rather unlike the majority there. I have met some great people, but overall, I feel I prolly could have fit better at UVA in hindsight. Also, nothing to do other than parties, and frankly, crowded parties where you cant even move or breathe gets old pretty fast, the more low key parties I like, but they arent as numerous.

I think some of my best times the past semester were football watching gettogethers at my place, we had a pretty motley crew of people.

If you want to have fun, go to WVU. We are consistently ranked at the top of party schools in the US. Its dropped quite a bit from #1 since I left, but still. After all, college isnt about what you learn in class, its about learning to deal with people.

Plus, WVU has a good football and basketball team, and you havent lived if you havent burned a couch after a big win.

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?categoryID=3&topicID=26

Parties: Party Schools

Based on a combination of survey questions concerning the use of alcohol and drugs, hours of study each day, and the popularity of the Greek system

School Name Save Apply Request Info

1 University of Wisconsin-Madison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Ohio University-Athens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Lehigh University

4 University of California-Santa Barbara

5 SUNY at Albany

6 Indiana University - Bloomington

7 University of Mississippi

8 University of Iowa

9 University of Massachusetts-Amherst

10 Loyola University New Orleans

11 Tulane University

12 University of Georgia

13 Penn State University Park

14 West Virginia University

15 The University of Texas at Austin

16 University of Tennessee - Knoxville

17 University of New Hampshire

18 University of Florida

19 Louisiana State University

20 University of Maryland-College Park

If you want to have fun, go to WVU. We are consistently ranked at the top of party schools in the US. Its dropped quite a bit from #1 since I left, but still. After all, college isnt about what you learn in class, its about learning to deal with people.

Plus, WVU has a good football and basketball team, and you havent lived if you havent burned a couch after a big win.

my brother went to WVU his freshman year.... got academically suspended and kicked out of his dorm bc he partied too much... Now he barely parties at ALL! Oh wherefore art thou brother of days of yore?

ew, why? JMU is so much better. People are friendlier and the atmosphere there is just on point. Enjoy yourself there!!!!

No way! I've yet to meet anyone who attends UVA who doesn't love it.

Anyway, as far as colleges go, the best advice I can offer is don't get your mind set on one school - try and be happy going wherever you end up, because YOUR mindset is by far the most important thing about your college experience.

Socially, you will be happy at ANY school you go to, period. I have yet to meet anyone that has not had fun at their school. They are all about the same imo. There are probably more parties at JMU than say Mary Washington, but EVERY school has cool people and parties they are ALL fun. When you get a bunch of young people together and take away some supervision there is going to be fun to be had somewhere at sometime. Well maybe not if you are an engineer major at MIT, but the vast majority of people like the school they are at and they would probably like anyother school they go to.

As for UVa, well I wouldn't say most are snobs but at sporting events that is the air they give off (didn't they tell the VT students to wash their cars or something to that effect?) and I don't find it too appealing, even though I am probably one of the most arrogant assholes ever born.

my brother went to WVU his freshman year.... got academically suspended and kicked out of his dorm bc he partied too much... Now he barely parties at ALL! Oh wherefore art thou brother of days of yore?

60 people lived on my floor freshman year. HALF failed out. 9th floor Lyon tower was frickin famous that year for the amounts of booze we put back. I tried to rally the troops to actually go to class by telling them if they failed out they would have to leave the 24/7 party we had going. Sadly, most couldnt keep up the drinkin' AND hit the books enough. I myself never worked harder, partied more, slept less, and forgot more peoples names in my life.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinkin about it. I want to go back and do it all over again.

60 people lived on my floor freshman year. HALF failed out. 9th floor Lyon tower was frickin famous that year for the amounts of booze we put back. I tried to rally the troops to actually go to class by telling them if they failed out they would have to leave the 24/7 party we had going. Sadly, most couldnt keep up the drinkin' AND hit the books enough. I myself never worked harder, partied more, slept less, and forgot more peoples names in my life.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinkin about it. I want to go back and do it all over again.

what year was your freshman year? My brother started there in '98...and finished there in '99! :laugh:

Well i am applying to

UMD College Park

Wisconsin Madison

Texas-Austin

Carnegie Mellon

NYU

Penn State university park

Michigan Ann arbor

Illinois Urbana

UNC Chapel Hill

I know its a lot. But I have done more than half of them and will be done hopefully in the next week. I will either drop NYU or Carnegie or both, those are the only private schools i have considered and they both are crazy expensive. Michigan is expenisive too.

Penn State is really quick in giving answers. They had an answer in 6 days. I got into their business program. The thing is that it is really expensive. I would be perfectly content at Maryland and i really hope i get in. i get my answer for that on Feb. 1.

Only answer i have been given back is Penn.

----------------------

Anyone who has gone to these schools please give me some info on how you like it :notworthy

• 1 month later...
Well i am applying to

UMD College Park

Wisconsin Madison

Texas-Austin

Carnegie Mellon

NYU

Penn State university park

Michigan Ann arbor

Illinois Urbana

UNC Chapel Hill

I know its a lot. But I have done more than half of them and will be done hopefully in the next week. I will either drop NYU or Carnegie or both, those are the only private schools i have considered and they both are crazy expensive. Michigan is expenisive too.

Penn State is really quick in giving answers. They had an answer in 6 days. I got into their business program. The thing is that it is really expensive. I would be perfectly content at Maryland and i really hope i get in. i get my answer for that on Feb. 1.

Only answer i have been given back is Penn.

----------------------

Anyone who has gone to these schools please give me some info on how you like it :notworthy

My mom went to UMD. Loved it. Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with those schools. I knew I was going in state, knew UF was the best school in Florida, and only applied there.

Archived