Wisconsin Madison

Texas-Austin

Carnegie Mellon

NYU

Penn State university park

Michigan Ann arbor

Illinois Urbana

UNC Chapel Hill

I know its a lot. But I have done more than half of them and will be done hopefully in the next week. I will either drop NYU or Carnegie or both, those are the only private schools i have considered and they both are crazy expensive. Michigan is expenisive too.

Penn State is really quick in giving answers. They had an answer in 6 days. I got into their business program. The thing is that it is really expensive. I would be perfectly content at Maryland and i really hope i get in. i get my answer for that on Feb. 1.

Only answer i have been given back is Penn.

----------------------

Anyone who has gone to these schools please give me some info on how you like it :notworthy

best of luck with ur applications too bro. My friends only say good things about UMD, I read a while back that they have a better med school than UVA.:cheers:

I Applied to a few schools in early January, but I've only heard back from the University of Arizona and the University of Washington (I was rejected by both). I'm worried that I might not get into my other choices (University of Oregon, University of San Francisco, University of Miami, UMASS Amherst), so I recently started over on applications for schools that are easier to get into and that are still accepting applications (Arizona State; Michigan State; SUNY Buffalo; Temple; Maine; Hartford; Missouri-Columbia; IU-Bloomington; Minnesota-Twin Cities; FAU; and South Florida). I know that's a bunch of schools, but I'm panicing because I've now realized that I overestimated my credentials.

Throughout Highschool, I have really underachieved. My Fr-Jr GPA is 2.2 (and it isn't any better this year), but my SAT scores are 690 Critical Reading, 700 Mathematics and 660 Writing. I've also been very active in clubs and athletics, I've won mathematics awards and I've placed in two science fairs. Anyway, I'm telling you all this because I was hoping to get some advice or insight on my chances of getting into my new set of schools. Please respond.

I Applied to a few schools in early January, but I've only heard back from the University of Arizona and the University of Washington (I was rejected by both). I'm worried that I might not get into my other choices (University of Oregon, University of San Francisco, University of Miami, UMASS Amherst), so I recently started over on applications for schools that are easier to get into and that are still accepting applications (Arizona State; Michigan State; SUNY Buffalo; Temple; Maine; Hartford; Missouri-Columbia; IU-Bloomington; Minnesota-Twin Cities; FAU; and South Florida). I know that's a bunch of schools, but I'm panicing because I've now realized that I overestimated my credentials.

Throughout Highschool, I have really underachieved. My Fr-Jr GPA is 2.2 (and it isn't any better this year), but my SAT scores are 690 Critical Reading, 700 Mathematics and 660 Writing. I've also been very active in clubs and athletics, I've won mathematics awards and I've placed in two science fairs. Anyway, I'm telling you all this because I was hoping to get some advice or insight on my chances of getting into my new set of schools. Please respond.

That GPA is what's killing you. With your SATs and extracurriculars, if you had a better GPA, you'd be able to get into many top tier schools. That's really a shame. To be very, very honest, if you don't have higher than a 2.2, you should really look into a community college and transfer to a better school after a year or two. You have the smarts to make it at a good 4-year, just not the grades. At this point, you can either go the JC route and transfer, or get stuck at a crappy 4 year.

That GPA is what's killing you. With your SATs and extracurriculars, if you had a better GPA, you'd be able to get into many top tier schools. That's really a shame. To be very, very honest, if you don't have higher than a 2.2, you should really look into a community college and transfer to a better school after a year or two. You have the smarts to make it at a good 4-year, just not the grades. At this point, you can either go the JC route and transfer, or get stuck at a crappy 4 year.

Unfortunately, I know that is what I might have to do. I understand that I don't meet the requirements at most schools, but if I'm lucky some admissions officer will take a chance on me. I guess I'm just hoping that someone on here knows someone that got into a decent college after being in my situation in high school.

I haven't taken school seriously, and now I regret skipping every other class:doh: .

Hopefully I'll get in to at least one of the schools I applied to (I think I should be able to get into Arizona State). Both of my parents went to elite schools and have been putting a lot of pressure on me. I can't wait to be on my own.

Unfortunately, I know that is what I might have to do. I understand that I don't meet the requirements at most schools, but if I'm lucky some admissions officer will take a chance on me. I guess I'm just hoping that someone on here knows someone that got into a decent college after being in my situation in high school.

I haven't taken school seriously, and now I regret skipping every other class:doh: .

Hopefully I'll get in to at least one of the schools I applied to (I think I should be able to get into Arizona State). Both of my parents went to elite schools and have been putting a lot of pressure on me. I can't wait to be on my own.

I also did not have great grades in High School, but I worked for a few years, met my fiance who was attending nursing school at the time, and now it's my turn to go to school. I am currently attending a community college up here and we plan on moving to Wilmington, NC this summer. Hopefully I can transfer to UNCW.

I also did not have great grades in High School, but I worked for a few years, met my fiance who was attending nursing school at the time, and now it's my turn to go to school. I am currently attending a community college up here and we plan on moving to Wilmington, NC this summer. Hopefully I can transfer to UNCW.

You should move to Asheville and go to UNC-A. Best city in the country, IMO.

I've only been there once - but man, what a laid back city! Cool town - got to watch a drum circle in a huge downtown park. The city seemed like one big Phish parking lot. And i'm down with that! :D

:yikes:

Asheville, North Carolina?? You're serious?? Man...I've been there a few times (my dad lives in Hendersonville) and there are about 10 billion other cities I would recommend before Asheville...are you serious??? :laugh:

:yikes:

Asheville, North Carolina?? You're serious?? Man...I've been there a few times (my dad lives in Hendersonville) and there are about 10 billion other cities I would recommend before Asheville...are you serious??? :laugh:

I'm a hippy. It's not necessarily the best place if you're a tourist, although I like it. It's just real chill, has a great vibe, great weather, and it's just really really cool. I could see how one would want to travel to other places first, but when it comes to living somewhere, the only place I've been (I'm sure you living in Hawaii could easily refute this :) ) I like as much as Asheville is San Diego.

Asheville also has some of the hottest chicks I've ever seen.

I'm a hippy. It's not necessarily the best place if you're a tourist, although I like it. It's just real chill, has a great vibe, great weather, and it's just really really cool. I could see how one would want to travel to other places first, but when it comes to living somewhere, the only place I've been (I'm sure you living in Hawaii could easily refute this :) ) I like as much as Asheville is San Diego.

Asheville also has some of the hottest chicks I've ever seen.

Yeah but....there's nothing to do there!!! :laugh:

Oh well...as to the premise of the thread: my main advice is to not limit yourself to within the region. Look at schools all over the country. I personally could not wait to get as far away from my parents as possible...but that was just me. Not only that, I was ready for women in skimpy bikinis and warm weather...so I chose south Florida.

And I definitely had some senioritis...senior year was kind of a blur!! :laugh: :paranoid:

Yeah but....there's nothing to do there!!! :laugh:

No, there are some clubs and stuff. Remember, it's a college town. I guess I'm just used to Gainesville, because compared to Asheville there's REALLY nothing to do.

Again, it's a great place to visit if you're into shopping (and I was with my parents, who would pay for things, so I was certainly into shopping) and relaxing, and I'm sure it'd be a great place to live. Did I mention they have gorgeous women?

• 1 month later...

well i got into JMU. Some good news there I guess. VTECH put me on the waiting list. I'll call them soon but do any of you have any advice on what to do if placed on the waiting list?:(

still waiting to hear from UVA, I think they are mid april.

well i got into JMU. Some good news there I guess. VTECH put me on the waiting list. I'll call them soon but do any of you have any advice on what to do if placed on the waiting list?:(

still waiting to hear from UVA, I think they are mid april.

First of all great job.

The problem with being on the waiting list for these giant public schools is you really can't stand out unless your parents are rich alums, there are just way too many applicants in the same position as you. If you want to move from the waitlist you can either just stay on it and see if you will get accepted later on or you can take a proactive approach and send them a letter or something expressing your deep interest in the school.

BTW I recommend going to JMU over VT so if I were you I wouldn't feel slighted.

Reasons to go to JMU over VT:

1. JMU is more of an undergraduate orientated school with a great emphasis on teaching undergrads skills they can use later on in a graduate environment. It is a lot smaller than VT (15000 @ JMU compared to 21000 @ VT) but they do have about the same faculty to student ratio.

2. JMU is over 60% female while VT is about 40% female.

3. Campus looks a lot cooler imo and not as cold.

4. Most big parties are public and all are free

5. JMU is closer to civillization. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to NoVa, about 2 to get to central VA. VT is really really far away from a lot of stuff.

6. JMU has had some innovative majors such as Integrated Sciences and Technology [iSAT] and Biotechnology (my major coincidentally). So it isn't a liberal arts alternative to science heavy VT as some may think.

I would only recommend VT if you are going are going to do architecture or engineering, they are very good in these areas.

I'm looking at pre-med or something in bio-engineering, would JMU suffice as a better choice for those? BTW thanks for the help. I'll send a letter monday.

I am basically doing the same thing (biotech + pre-med). To be honest I don't think it will really matter which school you will go to if it comes to that. If you get into UVa I would definitely pick them since that might give you an advantage when it comes to applying UVa's Med school. I am one of the many Pre-Med students here and I am satisfied with my science and math classes so far. One good thing that JMU has for that is there are centers to help students with all the introductory classes freshmen take in the math and sciences. I go there when I am doing homework so when I have a question I could get a helpful answer without having to go to my professor.

My sister is at UVA right now doing law. I might have a chance at getting in there because I have an ok GPA (although it was decimated by ap calc and ap lang) and I have alot of lineage. I like UVA but I didn't know it had the best med-program in VA, I figured its more of a liberal arts type of school, same with JMU. But these new things your telling me are a pleasent surprise. I take it ur in JMU right now?

My sister is at UVA right now doing law. I might have a chance at getting in there because I have an ok GPA (although it was decimated by ap calc and ap lang) and I have alot of lineage. I like UVA but I didn't know it had the best med-program in VA, I figured its more of a liberal arts type of school, same with JMU. But these new things your telling me are a pleasent surprise. I take it ur in JMU right now?

Well the thing is, I don't believe there is such a thing as a good school for a med-program, because a med program is just really a conglomeration of math, phys, chem, bio, and other classes that you have to take on your own. And in my opinion the place where you take Bio 114 or Calc 235 for example is not going to be make as much of a difference as long as it is in any respectable 4 year university and you are successful in the class itself. The reason I mentioned UVa was that it has a great medical school and it is generally easier to get accepted to some graduate level program at a school if you also did undergrad there (though I am not sure how much of a difference this can make).

Oh and yes I am a JMU student. So I am biased and I would likely be making as enthusiastic of a pitch if I was a VT or UVa student. College will be great at most schools, and your success later on will depend on the grades you get in the school, not the name. For example, a 2.9 at UVa isn't nearly as good as a 3.3 at say JMU or VT given the same major/classes.

nah i'm not saying ur biased. My whole family is pretty much UVA oriented and they don't know anything about JMU so all they were saying was that it wasn't a "good" school. I don't mind getting advice from one of its student's, at least you know what its like there.

I've heard the introductory courses are the hardest, I've only passed the ap us history exam thus far. I think i can pass the lit, bio and definitely government exam this may. I'm seriously giving JMU thought, I just didn't know if it was a "inferior" school to VTECH. If UVA doesn't open up I might end up going, But I think I'm gonna have to visit both Tech (assuming they will eventually take me) and JMU this spring break to make a final decision . The help has majorly appreciated man, thanks.

best of luck with ur applications too bro. My friends only say good things about UMD, I read a while back that they have a better med school than UVA.:cheers:

Hey thanks! I got into UMD last month. I got into Wisconsin and Penn State. I am waiting on Utex and Umich. I am going to be majoring in business and UMD is a top 25 business program and i got in directly so with the instate tuition price I see no reason to spend money anywhere else. I got into some programs at UMD too which i never expected.

UMD CLASS OF 2010!! ---i think??

• 2 weeks later...

well I got rejected from UVA, still no word from tech. So it looks like I'm gonna go to JMU. I've since warmed up to the idea though, so no worries. I'm heading down there this week with my dad to scope the campus, any advice on where I should start, is there like tours I could take? I couldn't find that info on their website, maybe i'm blind.

well I got rejected from UVA, still no word from tech. So it looks like I'm gonna go to JMU. I've since warmed up to the idea though, so no worries. I'm heading down there this week with my dad to scope the campus, any advice on where I should start, is there like tours I could take? I couldn't find that info on their website, maybe i'm blind.

There are always campus tours (at least I always SEE them :rubeyes:):

http://www.jmu.edu/admissions/visit/Calendars/2006-04.shtml

Something interesting might be to sit in a class related to your major. Also, check into the "Choices" program, they usually give you a better tour and it's more geared toward people who got in. I would just call the Information Office if you have any questions about it, they're really nice there.

Oh yeah, don't eat at D-Hall. :cool:

Archived