Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Brown and James Thrash Keys for Redskins vs. Giants

bulldog

the Redskins offense is going to look a bit different this week. Personnel moves that bring Ray Brown and James Thrash back into the mix are the principal reasons.

the Redskins will have to adapt their running game based on the substitution of Ray Brown for Randy Thomas. Brown is not what Thomas is as a pulling guard. But Brown is also what Thomas is not, a very physical presence inside who is going to help the team in that middle zone as well as short yardage and goal line. I see Clinton Portis running a lot more between the tackles and Ladell Betts getting 8-10 carries as well.

that is one difference the Giants will see this time around from October, one that may hit them hard with the absence of Pierce at middle linebacker and the fact DT William Joseph is still dinged.

the other noticeable change is that for the first time in over a month the Redskins are going to have a second NFL caliber wide receiver on the field. The Giants with James Thrash on the field are not going to be able to collapse on Santana Moss like teams did when the Redskins were running Taylor Jacobs and Jimmy Farris on the other side.

Thrash was miscast as a #1 wide receiver in Philly in 2002-2003, but is the capable veteran the club has been missing in the #2 slot, the guy that can make the critical third down catches and be counted on to be where he is supposed to be on the field. For Brunell, it is like getting an early Christmas present.

The passing game once more consists of two wide receivers, Cooley and Portis/Betts out of the backfield :)

I worry about old Ray Brown after seeing him get pancaked earlier this year. But, he is a big physical player as you say, he was in the pro-bowl a few years ago, and the coaches believe in him. Considering the way he was playing, Randy Thomas is a big loss. Hopefully, Ray can play well in these last two games (and the playoffs).

I'm psyched to have James Tharsh back. As coach says, "he catches everything we throw his way." I expect him to make an immediate contribution.

I agree, although i do feel that we are going to miss Randy. The pulling plays were starting to work so well recently, and now we are gonna be hard pressed to run many of those with Dock and Brown at the guard positions. I do think that you are correct in saying that the middle will be there for the taking though. I also agree 100% that Thrash is going to make a HUGE difference in the offense. He brings a veteran presence, solid hands, dependability, as well as great blocking on the edges. I feel that his blocking may help to offset the loss of Thomas on our runs to the outside. Not completely offset, but help a little nonetheless.

The question is, can Ray Brown hold up? He did it last year when Jansen went down so I don't doubt him at all. But playing in the middle of the line is a bit different from playing on the edges. Any time the Giants blitz, it's going to come in Ray Brown's direction most of the time because they may underestimate his ability since he's 43 years young.

As far as Thrash, I just want to see him on special teams. Moss, Cooley, Royal, Jacobs, and Farris can do it in the receiving department. If Thrash gets some time on offense, it may be limited.

After many years watching Thrash...I have come to believe that the dude is damn near clutch ....he has been great at taking hard hits and seems to be a true "SKINS" type player ....as posted earlier he will demand coverage....and will take alot of heat off Santana "the bomb" Moss....THis will be one helluva game and I'm feelin like a kid on Christmas Eve......HAIL GIBBS!

I feel that Brown, playing his natural position, will be solid. However what I am so excited about is the fact that Salavea and Griffin will be in there for the first time since KC. if you guys remember that game the only reason we lost it was because we fumbled it away. Now I respect the Giants offense and I respect Tiki alot but with Griffen, Salavea and Lavar AND being home I think our run D will just be lights out. Tiki IMO has not faced this type of D in a while and when he did, against SD, he was manhandled.

Make no mistake Thrash will add another question mark for the Giants to answer but that D-line with those 3 guys back will have a huge day.

It is not like we are asking Brown to play 16 games. I think he will be fresh and give us 4-5 great games if we need him. And we NEED to give the Giant's a different look so I do not think it will hurt. Taking pressure off Moss with Thrash and vice versa should really help our O. It still think it is going to have to be won by our D however.

The biggest difference between this game and the first game, in my opinion, is that Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a are healthy. In that first game, Salave'a was hurt before and during the game, and Griffin injured his hip early in the game. Those two guys are instrumental in disrupting the middle of the line to let our outside tacklers make plays in run support.

I agree with bulldog, though. On the offense it's all Brown and Thrash. This offense has sorely missed first David Patten and, then, Patten and Thrash. We may see a big passing game from Brunell this Saturday, in a good way.

As far as Thrash, I just want to see him on special teams. Moss, Cooley, Royal, Jacobs, and Farris can do it in the receiving department. If Thrash gets some time on offense, it may be limited.

You can't be serious. Farris will be selling shoes once the season ends. He is NOT NFL material, plain and simple. Neither is Jacobs, though I suspect Jacobs' tenacity on special teams will keep him in the league a few more years. As a WR, he's a bust. If only we had drafted Kevin Curtis instead of Jacobs. Thrash is nothing great, but at least he can keep defenses honest. The only thing I hold against Spurrier is insisting on drafting TJ.

The primary keys to the game are how much the Skins and the 12th man want this game. You never know who might be the man to step up on the field, as shown by Phillip Daniels' great game last week. But know this: If the Skins and their fans who are in the stadium want this game enough, together they can win it.

I like Thrash's ability. I just hope he and Brunell are on the same page often enough. If they're not in sync on his first time back, that could be tough.

Hopefully, Thrash has been practicing with the team for a while.

-----

And, gee, if our "new" o-line is more suited to power running, then it must be time for me to uphold my duties as Rock's Cheering Section.

Like already stated numerous times, Ray Brown is the big question. I think that the coaches will us more power plays that will allow him to just fire off and get into the guy infront of him. I think that we will run outside to the left a lot, and will pound the middle right. But then again what do I know?

the Redskins offense is going to look a bit different this week. Personnel moves that bring Ray Brown and James Thrash back into the mix are the principal reasons.

the Redskins will have to adapt their running game based on the substitution of Ray Brown for Randy Thomas. Brown is not what Thomas is as a pulling guard. But Brown is also what Thomas is not, a very physical presence inside who is going to help the team in that middle zone as well as short yardage and goal line. I see Clinton Portis running a lot more between the tackles and Ladell Betts getting 8-10 carries as well.

that is one difference the Giants will see this time around from October, one that may hit them hard with the absence of Pierce at middle linebacker and the fact DT William Joseph is still dinged.

the other noticeable change is that for the first time in over a month the Redskins are going to have a second NFL caliber wide receiver on the field. The Giants with James Thrash on the field are not going to be able to collapse on Santana Moss like teams did when the Redskins were running Taylor Jacobs and Jimmy Farris on the other side.

Thrash was miscast as a #1 wide receiver in Philly in 2002-2003, but is the capable veteran the club has been missing in the #2 slot, the guy that can make the critical third down catches and be counted on to be where he is supposed to be on the field. For Brunell, it is like getting an early Christmas present.

The passing game once more consists of two wide receivers, Cooley and Portis/Betts out of the backfield :)

Good analogy bd. IMO, Thrash is our "Joe Jerovishous"(sp) who helped Tampa win a super bowl and is now a large contributer to the seahawks offense. We have missed Thrash's presence, not only at WR but in ST as well.

All we need is a viable contributer opposite Santana, blended in with Cooley and our WR corp is stable. Combine that with Portis and a healthy OL.......

I think Brown will do fine for the short run.............

Is Thrash definitely going to play? I thought he was ready last week, but he was inactive.

I've been a Thrash fan going way back. He's got good hands, and runs good routes. For some reason though, I have a feeling that Jacobs will still be the #2.

I have been trying to say this since the game vs. Dallas but my account wasnt cleared or whatever. Losing Randy really put us back for preparations. I do not think it will hurt us all too much but this kind of fluky garbage time injury was not what we needed.

IT gives their D a little edge to them knowing that the old guy is in there. It gives us another weakness which tom coughlin will want to attack all day. In a close game, it may cost us big.

Archived