Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook36 hates: Tom Hanks

Westbrook36

Tom Hanks is some what a character actor, in that he has a lot of common traits in almost all of his roles.

Dude...don't get started with that again...Tom Hanks is FAR from a character actor. Please do some research on the subject to find out what a character actor is, and you'll know he is definitely NOT one.

Tommy Lee Jones = character actor. He plays the same guy in every movie. The only thing that ties Tom Hanks' characters together is the fact that he plays them. Of course inherently there will be some carry-over because its the same guy playing them. So you'll get some of the same intonations and facial expressions. This does NOT make him a character actor. :doh:

I thought he was perfect in Saving Private Ryan, and Forest Gump.

I just watched "Catch Me If You Can", and I loved that movie!

"Knock, Knock..." :D

At least you can get something right.

Just like hanks... there are roles cruise is ideal for. If you watch Rain Man, he carried that movie. Everyone gave Dustin Hoffman props, but Cruise owned that movie.

I never understood the fascination with 'Risky Business'. Hated it. :jerk: And I'm sorry, Rebecca Demornay is not good looking.

How can you not like him in Forrest Gump

Road to Perdition

Castaway

Big

Saving Private Ryan

Philadelphia

Green Mile

A League of Their Own

Money Pit

Ladykillers

Catch me if You can

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

That Thing you do

Apollo 13

Sleepless in Seattle

Joe vs the Volcano

Turner and Hooch

The Burbs

Volunteers

Bachelor Party

Splash

Tom Hanks is a rarity, he's one of the few actors today that could take any role and do a hell of a job with it.. On the top of my head, another actor would be Johnny Depp.

Or Denzel Washington.

Johnny Depp is on another plane -- he gets so into his roles he actually becomes them...its crazy. I read that after Fear and Loathing he was so into the character of Hunter S. Thompson he continued to act like that for 6 months after filming ended. But be careful saying you like Johnny Depp around here, the conservatives will be all over you and calling you a traitor...:rolleyes:

Although I will say he was crap in the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

I would say just the opposite.

I can't think of ANY Tom Hanks role where it just would not have worked without him (Hanks) playing that role.

For instance, NOBODY could have pulled off Jack Sparrow like Johnny Depp. I can think of several roles by Sean Penn, Al Pacino, Robert Deniro the same way.

Hanks? eh... I can think of several actors who could have stepped into ANY one of his major roles and enjoyed just as much (more?) success.

The problem most people have is they can't criticize Hanks because they say "No way, I loved Saving Private Ryan! I also loved Forrest Gump!"

I'm not denying he has been in great movies. He is just not a great actor. Like Zoony said, he BRINGS DOWN several great movies because of his one trick pony, everyman approach to every role he takes.

The problem most people have is they can't criticize Hanks because they say "No way, I loved Saving Private Ryan! I also loved Forrest Gump!"

I'm not denying he has been in great movies. He is just not a great actor. Like Zoony said, he BRINGS DOWN several great movies because of his one trick pony, everyman approach to every role he takes.

I disagree...read my post. He is one of the best actors in Hollywood.

Forrest Gump was one of the best performances by an actor I have ever seen. It wasn't because FG was a great movie that I like Tom Hanks, it was because of Hanks' tremendous performance that I love the movie. The whole picture -- his accent, slow-speaking, body language, facial expressions...brilliant!

This is why Hanks is one of the only actors who could have pulled off Castaway....his facial expressions. In a movie that goes for long stretches without any dialogue, you need an excellent actor who can produce an entire scene full of dialogue with only body language and facial expressions. Hanks fit the bill to a T. Like I said, I can't think of more than two actors who could have pulled off that role...Johnny Depp and Denzel Washington.

I don't like all Tom Hanks movies. I didn't really care for Road to Perdition, nor did I like Sleepless in Seattle or Sleepless in Seattle 2 (You've Got Mail). But the movies he has done well in are fantastic. He carried Catch Me If You Can, Leo Dicraprio was only good because of the tremendous contrast that Hanks provided.

Just my :2cents:

Westy, I agree (somewhat, I dont hate the guy).

Tom Hanks bores me to tears. I cant pinpoint exactly what it is either. I just find him to be on a level below guys like Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Nicholas Cage (except National Treasure), Kevin Spacey, hell maybe even Jamie Foxx. I usually feel disappointed after watching most of his work. And often times think, someone else would have played the role better. For example, Green Mile : Ed Harris.

The man was fortunate to play Forrest Gump, and the role in Philadelphia.

After that its like the movie industry just throws scripts his way.

I liked him in - League of our own.

This has to be the first time I've ever heard ANYONE say anything bad about Tom Hanks. Frankly, I think he's come a long way since "Bosom Buddies" and "Bachelor Party." He's a VERY talented actor worthy of all the props. Guess you just can't please everyone.

Sorry... I like Tom Hanks..... now Tom Cruise I can't stand...

Like Stan from South Park said, The guy who played Napolean Dynamite is a better actor than Tom Cruise. Now Tom Cruise, come out of the closet.

As for Tom Hanks, one of my favorite actors. People are mentioning all his movies, but I liked him in Bosom Buddies and I really liked his work on SNL as well.

Westy, I agree (somewhat, I dont hate the guy).

Tom Hanks bores me to tears. I cant pinpoint exactly what it is either. I just find him to be on a level below guys like Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Nicholas Cage (except National Treasure), Kevin Spacey, hell maybe even Jamie Foxx. I usually feel disappointed after watching most of his work. And often times think, someone else would have played the role better. For example, Green Mile : Ed Harris.

The man was fortunate to play Forrest Gump, and the role in Philadelphia.

After that its like the movie industry just throws scripts his way.

I liked him in - League of our own.

No you did not just compare Nic Cage to Tom Hanks. Cage has had two good roles in his career -- Leaving Las Vegas and Matchstick Men. He has been horrible in most everything else he's ever done. And those two movies he was carried by an excellent leading lady. Elizabeth Shue was amazing in LLV, and his daughter in Matchstick Men carried that movie.

And speaking of terrible accents...have you SEEN Captain Corelli's Mandolin??? Terrible.

i understand your dislike for hanks. i don't see him as a nontalent guy but i don't see why people think he's such a great actor. all of his characters seem to be a mild variation of the same "regular guy off the street" personality. i think its crazy to say that he's on line with denzel washington or depp. i'm surprised that more comedians haven't done more serious roles. i'm no actor but i think it takes some skills to be a funny guy and manipulate people's emotions to make them laugh. i think hanks has taken his excellent comedic timing and turned it around into excellent dramatic timing.

good actor? yes

great actor? no

i loved bosome buddies too! that show had a great them song.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/videoclips/bosombuddiesopening.mpg

I never make a point of seeing a movie because of who is in it, but I will often stay away from a movie because of who is in it. I stayed away from Catch Me if You Can, though not because of Hanks, but because of DeCappuccino. When I finally rented it, I was very impressed with the job Hanks did with it.

I never make a point of seeing a movie because of who is in it, but I will often stay away from a movie because of who is in it. I stayed away from Catch Me if You Can, though not because of Hanks, but because of DeCappuccino. When I finally rented it, I was very impressed with the job Hanks did with it.

i'd say this boy's life, catch me if you can, and the basketball diaries are the best movies decrappio best movies.

Archived